Colt LE6920 vs. Ruger AR-556

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im in the market for an AR, i have it narrowed down to the colt vs ruger. I plan on using it 5-6x per year for a total of 1500-2000 rounds per year and hope to get at least 10 years out of it. Prices are $1000 for the colt vs $700 for the Ruger. Any suggestions? Thanks

I say Colt if you have the money. They tend to hold on to value better than the Ruger guns and are the standard by which all other manufacturers are judged.

But you certainly can do much worse than a Ruger.

Isn't the Ruger a gas piston system? Colt would still be gas direct impingement.

Colt is technically the only company with the official Technical Design Package for the AR15. This means their specs are exact as intended by the original design.

That being said, every other company has figured it out so the value in that point will depend on how much of a purist you are.

I'd buy the Ruger and spend the money saved on ammo.

I own both. The Colt is the better rifle but the difference is so slight I'd buy either again and wouldn't look back. As far as losing money, or getting your money back.... you won't lose a dime on either...ever.

Buying a colt is like buying a Harley. Your paying extra for the name. Ruger makes a good durable gun. I actually like

the Smith Wesson's. But seriously, I can't see the extra money for a colt. If the OP next president opens trade back up with Russia, which I hope HE does. All gun values are going to dive. I

Last edited:
Both have a carbine gas system, and I MUCH prefer the mid-length gas system. So myself personally, I would get a nice mid-length. Sionics, PSA, Spikes Tactical,Aero Precision, and many others make a quality mid-length gun.

Colt for the win. TDP, HPT, MPI, mil spec, staked in all the right spots, excellent QC, and will always hold their value better than any other.

The late Bill Ruger was not our friend.

The Colt is the better rifle, and they do make a piston rifle if you are interested I believe it is only in the LE6940 variety though (LE6940P). It will be more expensive and harder to find.

Last time I looked I saw LE6920's well below 1000.00.

I was looking to buy my first AR last year and I went with the Colt over the Ruger. After handling the two, the Ruger felt cheaper. I went with the LE6920MP one and picked it up for $1000. It was $300-$400 more then the Ruger but I felt it was a better built rifle, and all the Magpul parts was a plus for me.

15545-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Well if the Colt model is built to milspes it is a battle proven system. The best there is. That being said Ruger products have served me well and their customer service is stellar. The thing about the milspec AR is if you understand milspec it is not just the size. You can buy all the spare parts needed to keep the AR running for decades. The Milspec AR and M 16 /M 4 are one of the best firearms ever designed. Low cost. reliable if you keep the bolt lubed and simple to work on.

I built mine from PSA and Magpul. Got exactly what I wanted in every part.Cost: $700. The AR is a Mil.Spec rifle. You can literally buy every part from a different supplier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Have you considered the S&W M&P 15 Sport II, it's about $660 at Budsgunshop

I saw a discussion noting proprietary parts used on the Ruger which turns off many if that's still true.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-rifles/456804-new-m-p-sport-11-ruger-ar-556-a.html
S@W ars aren't what you really want in an AR. S@W are built with bolt action metals, the Colts are built with machine gun steel to put it simply. You get what you pay for.

I assume you are talking about the use of 4140 barrel steel versus 4150 barrel steel. 4150 is what the government uses, but the difference is small actually. 4150 will stand up to rapid firing (burst fire) longer than the 4140. For the civilian it is better to make sure you get a chrome lined or nitrided bore to reduce wear and ease cleaning. The one barrel material you do want to stay away from is the stainless ones. They don't hold up as well in a high volume environment.

My latest acquisition is this kit: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-chf-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-heavy-rifle-kit.html

5.56 chamber, 1:7 twist, 18" barrel, hammer forged, chrome-lined, mid-length gas system. Good specs. $520 (I think). I have an Aero lower that I got for $80.

So, all in: $600.

It's more about building a rifle than about ultimate performance/specs, but when you add it up, it's a lot of rifle for the money.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
My latest acquisition is this kit: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-chf-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-heavy-rifle-kit.html

5.56 chamber, 1:7 twist, 18" barrel, hammer forged, chrome-lined, mid-length gas system. Good specs. $520 (I think). I have an Aero lower that I got for $80.

So, all in: $600.

It's more about building a rifle than about ultimate performance/specs, but when you add it up, it's a lot of rifle for the money.
The premium Palmetto offerings are about as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back