2012 F150 Ecoboost Platinum - 7500mi - Castrol Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the report in, recently purchased from CarSense and driven a mix of 35% rural, 50% highway, and 15% city. Not sure what the fill was but the sticker said "Castrol Syn." CarSense exclusively uses Castrol, requiring 4k changes to keep their engine warranty.

No complaints other than the typical Ecoboost cold idle misfiring. And also common, not so great fuel economy (averaging 15-16).

27699770725_41ff01107f_b.jpg

It was filled with Magnatec, probably will pull a sample at 7500 and do TBN and TAN. I've seen some great long distance UOAs with Magnatec in the EcoBoost.

Yes sir you are spot on with your analysis here. The Castrol Magnatec has performed very well in these motors and others has well. It has strong TBN retention, maintains viscosity very well even in my the ecoboost motors, and has produced some very low metal counts. Per Shannow's paperwork about Dexos approved oils it would seem likely that an oil like Magnatec is about 3/4 full synthetic. At less than $20 at Wally world it's a very good deal.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yes sir you are spot on with your analysis here. The Castrol Magnatec has performed very well in these motors and others has well. It has strong TBN retention, maintains viscosity very well even in my the ecoboost motors, and has produced some very low metal counts. Per Shannow's paperwork about Dexos approved oils it would seem likely that an oil like Magnatec is about 3/4 full synthetic. At less than $20 at Wally world it's a very good deal.

Percentage of GIII would depend on the quality
of the Basestock. With GII+ and XHVI you should be able to get under 50%. One Formulator currently is at 52% midlevel GIII because of high quality GII+ and an Ester based carrier.

Of course that doesn't in anyway make it inferior.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
It was filled with Magnatec, probably will pull a sample at 7500 and do TBN and TAN. I've seen some great long distance UOAs with Magnatec in the EcoBoost.

Gasbuggy, I look forward to your Magnatec UOA.

I'm a bit sceptical of the oil being the magic bullet as KJ's results on GTX were very similar to his Magnatec results. 2 ppm is almost nothing and the engine has matured since. I suspect KJ's Truck, driving habits and conditions have a lot to do with it.

That said 20 ppm on the 3.5 EB at you mileage is pretty good. Plenty of guys would be happy to get iron down to 4 ppm per 1000 miles and you are at 2.67 per 1000.

I'd suggest you read the paper by Shannow. One of the Dexos tests is very stringent (it's a Peugeot test in fact) causing a greater percentage use of synthetic to just pass that test alone.

This is not to say what you've stated is wrong. What you've stated could very well be true. But there are circumstances where the other is true too.

Gasbuggy... I think your going to like it.
It's true to say mine only dropped 4ppm, or you could say by 1/3.

I am very interested in seeing your results.

On the cold idle front, you may consider checking spark plug gap.
There was a change in the recommended gap.
May or may not help... I just don't worry about the dilution to much. Mine changes just about every sample.

I'm jealous of your silicon level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back