2003 Dodge Dakota HVAC. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the typical 'stuck in defrost' problem. This is a 2003, it is NOT a vacuum system. I can 100% verify that nothing else is wrong with the A/C system other than the 'mode cam linkage' due to the missing defrost door piece. The cam actually works, and I have the 'arm' set aside so it doesn't get lost. But I can't find the piece for the defrost door. I think the previous owner lost it. Does a replacement part exist (I've looked extensively
21.gif
)? Is there a way to rig some kind of manual lever just so that I can switch the defrost door? I'm literally picturing like a sturdy clothes hanger-type lever (yes, I'm that desperate for A/C!) The only answer I've been given from dealers/auto repair shops is to replace the entire module ($800-1300!). All over a $0.50 plastic part. Great design Dodge.
mad.gif

This should give a better idea:
Screenshot_2016-06-15-17-42-51_zpszdhrchop.png

Screenshot_2016-06-15-17-42-38_zpsrq9gfjh1.png

^Part #1, 67, and 68 all work. #66 is the arm I have set aside. The part I need is #71. If that doesn't exist, is it possible to fabricate one? Or is it even possible to temporarily switch the defrost door position so that I can get air at the 'face' vents? HUGE thanks in advance!

The actuator can be replaced with the HVAC housing still in the truck. If the door is broken off the housing has to come out to replace the door. You might as well replace the evap, heater core and the two actuators inside the housing while you have it apart. When the defrost door and/or actuator breaks the HVAC defaults to defrost. It is a safety measure and probably also done that way to avoid lawsuits because if the default was the dash or floor vents with no air directed at the windshield it could cause the windshield to fog up which could cause a crash.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
The actuator can be replaced with the HVAC housing still in the truck. If the door is broken off the housing has to come out to replace the door. You might as well replace the evap, heater core and the two actuators inside the housing while you have it apart. When the defrost door and/or actuator breaks the HVAC defaults to defrost. It is a safety measure and probably also done that way to avoid lawsuits because if the default was the dash or floor vents with no air directed at the windshield it could cause the windshield to fog up which could cause a crash.
Thanks for the info, but I feel you didn't read the question completely. All of the actuators, doors, and evap core work. Again, my ONLY problem is that I'm missing part #71 in the diagram above. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to perhaps apply your knowledge to my specific problem. And as for window fogging, the A/C on the windshield actually causes the window to fog up. Not exactly 'safe' but I do completely understand the general concept. That's another reason I'm trying to change this.

The first step is to get the factory service manual for that truck. The second step is to read the service manual so you know how the HVAC unit comes out. The third step is to go to a self service salvage yard.

I believe I still have a pdf of the FSM for my 2001 Dakota at home. I will check when I get home from work and see if I can PM you a Dropbox link to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back