Antivirus for Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday our laptop got a trojan and it looks like I am going to do a clean reinstall. I had a Mcafee on it which obviously failed...

Is there a free antivirus out there that is not a resource hog and gets the job done for viruses and malware? The free version of Malwarebytes was not enabled to do a live scan (I don't think it has the capability).

Avira + Malwarebytes and/or better internet behavior. Stop going to bad sites and/or clicking on suspect links and/or opening bogus emails and/or downloading suspect files.

Problem is all free ones have really annoying advertisements that pop up trying to convince you to buy the paid version. I use Kaspersky (got it for cheap per license a while back) on my desktop and laptop, all other machines in the house I have Avast on, it's the least- annoying with popups.

People need to get past expecting everything free on the internet. You want a good AV, you need to pay for it. You want to read the NY Times, you need to pay for it. Their reporters need to get paid.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Problem is all free ones have really annoying advertisements that pop up trying to convince you to buy the paid version. I use Kaspersky (got it for cheap per license a while back) on my desktop and laptop, all other machines in the house I have Avast on, it's the least- annoying with popups.

I've had them all. Let's be clear: the pop-ups are incredibly minimal, usually only once per startup, and completely worth the free price tag.

Originally Posted By: Donald
People need to get past expecting everything free on the internet. You want a good AV, you need to pay for it. You want to read the NY Times, you need to pay for it. Their reporters need to get paid.

People need to stop expecting to dl pirated bittorrents and not catch something. If you pay for needed software and use the interwebs carefully the risk of virus is actually pretty low.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Buy a multi-year/multi-user license for ESET. It's not much per year per PC.

McAfee is rated poorly by Consumer Reports. Near the bottom of the barrel.

This.

I may be jinxing myself here, but I stopped using antivirus software entirely about seven or eight years ago. Originally it was because my computer (I used the same Pentium III desktop I built for twelve years) was slowed down too much by AV software. I figured if I got an infection it would just be a sign that it was time to build a new system. It worked so well that I continued the practice on my current system that I built in 2013. There is a certain amount of protection built into Windows and I do scan with Malwarebytes periodically. I completely clear my internet history,cache, and cookies every day as well. Overall, having the right browser settings along with good computer hygiene seems to work fine.

ALWAYS back up your important data, though, just in case.

I've used Kaspersky Internet Security for years now and not had viruses or problems. $18 for 3 Windows 8 computers, down-loadable from Amazon.

I use Webroot SecureAnywhere and get it free through my bank. Ally Bank.

Originally Posted By: Bud

I've used them all and Webroot is tops!
Cheap on Amazon.
Easy on resources too.

Originally Posted By: Bud

I have that on my mom's computers. I got a deal last year for 3 PC's for $8 for the year, I bought 5 licenses so she is good for the next 5 years. Very lightweight and is a nice setup running a new update at every startup. I also have her DNS run through Norton Connectsafe (there are a few other DNS filters out there). It runs on the router and is a first line defense for virus protection.

I use the free version of Panda, on my Windows 10 laptop and 7 desktop, also have it on my wife's 7 laptop. It works very well, appears to be just as good as the paid version of ESET we had previously with little to no impact on resources.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Malwarebytes is a must. It is not free but it does things no antivirus will do.

I have the paid version of Malwarebytes from a few years ago where it was a lifetime license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back