2007 BMW 335i - Mobil 1 - 3,300mi on oil - UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting my UOA, viscosity seems low for the low interval for Mobil 1 (or am I looking at this wrong? ). Also looking for oil recommendations. As listed the car is a '07 BMW 335i, ~95,000 miles on the 3.0L I-6, twin-turbo engine (N54).

Thanks.

open

I can't read the figures too well due to Android trouble, but M1 0w40 is only just into the 40 range, so it might be near the top of the 30 range after a real short OCI.
The wear figures are low and because there is no real fuel contamination, I would try 5K miles for the OCI and 10K miles for the filter change interval. 2 years max if you are not clocking up the miles.

I have the same car (love it). Viscosity is a bit low, but wear looks fine so I wouldn't sweat it. I would say to switch to Castrol 0w40 at this point since M1 0w40 has lost BMW approval. Try another UOA on that and see how it does.

Thanks for the replies..., I may try Castrol though, just to compare.

Might want to try the BMW 5W-30; I switched my two older cars to it to simplify my inventory and I've had no issues. UOAs yet to come, however.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Might want to try the BMW 5W-30; I switched my two older cars to it to simplify my inventory and I've had no issues. UOAs yet to come, however.

Interested in your results. This will be with the new "Twin Power Turbo" Shell-based oil, correct?

While I'm not familiar with this application it's not unusual for viscosity to bottom at relatively low miles then increase as oxidation occurs.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Interested in your results. This will be with the new "Twin Power Turbo" Shell-based oil, correct?

Yes.

The older version of M1 0w-40, and probably the new FS version are known to sheer down fairly quickly in some applications. Same applies to 0w-40 Pennzoil SRT. I posted some Hellcat numbers last year showing them shearing down into the 11's with only 500-1500 miles. Some were as low as 11.2. So I'm not surprised. And VOA's of these 2 oils show them sometimes starting out in the mid-12's.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Is this the new M1 or the old LL-01 approved one?

This was with the "new" M1, non LL-01 approved, which is why I'm doing shorter OCI's..., I'd like to find something a bit more shear stable though.

Want something thicker to start with maybe?

M1 0W40 FS starts at 13,24 cSt @100°C
Castrol 0W40 starts at 13,1 cSt @100°C (assuming I found the last pdf, the one I picked was from Sempteber 2015)

Castrol has LL01 approval, but does it resist shearing better than M1?

Can you source Motul 8100 X-Max?

https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/368/original/8100_X-max_0W-40_(F).pdf?1422018537

has LL01 and starts thicker (13,5 cSt) than Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
While I'm not familiar with this application it's not unusual for viscosity to bottom at relatively low miles then increase as oxidation occurs.

The kinematic viscosity at 40c should fall during the OCI. If it increases, the OCI is too long as the detergents have been used up and those dreaded blowby contaminants are starting to join forces for an attempted case of Black death.

This is an old block, so I would not use a 5w30 as one member suggested, the German Iffylube shops only use Xw40 oils in cars that are out of warranty. Mostly 5 or 10w40 oils from Castrol, Mobil, Shell or Liqui Moly.

Last edited:
The fuel is the primary driver for viscosity loss, and there is fuel here. Enrichment due to the turbo's is the case and is on any high performance engine with a rich tune, particularly with forced induction. My M5 fuel-diluted like a champion.

I would just hop over to the Castrol 0w-40, since it is LL-01 approved and continue on with that. A 0w-40 is a great choice and your UOA shows nothing unusual.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

This is an old block, so I would not use a 5w30 as one member suggested, the German Iffylube shops only use Xw40 oils in cars that are out of warranty. Mostly 5 or 10w40 oils from Castrol, Mobil, Shell or Liqui Moly.

The BMW 5w-30 is a high HTHS (>=3.5cP) oil, similar to Castrol "GC" 0w-30. There is VERY little difference between an LL-01 5w-30/0w-30 and an LL-01 0w-40/5w-40, as they all have very close to the same HTHS, which is mandated by the ACEA rating and the BMW spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back