Does this estimate sound reasonable (brakes)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been given labor/installation costs at around $599 for the following work to be done to my '92 Chevy pickup:

Install new master cylinder, front rotors, ceramic pads, calipers, inner/outer wheel bearings/seals, 3 brake hoses, flush brake lines with new fluid. Also state inspection.

Is $599 kinda in the ballpark? This doesn't include any parts, I've purchased them separately (basically, the front brake system). Thanks.

Are they providing any warranty? OR, are you on your own warranty wise-since you supplying the parts?

Originally Posted By: CKN
Are they providing any warranty? OR, are you on your own warranty wise-since you supplying the parts?

Didn't get into warranty issues. I'll be bringing the truck in next week. I know some of the parts are warrantied. So I'll have to inquire about the shop's warranty on their work.

2wd or 4x4?

The 2wd version of those trucks are a pain to do brakes on (I had one). The rotors have the wheel bearings built in, and you have to replace the seals, ideally the bearings and races too when replacing the rotors.

If 4x4, I'd say that's too high. It doesn't get much easier than brake work when you don't have those rotors with the bearings in them.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
2wd or 4x4?

The 2wd version of those trucks are a pain to do brakes on (I had one). The rotors have the wheel bearings built in, and you have to replace the seals, ideally the bearings and races too when replacing the rotors.

If 4x4, I'd say that's too high. It doesn't get much easier than brake work when you don't have those rotors with the bearings in them.

It's 2wd, front disc brakes. I wasn't aware the rotors had the bearings. I'll go out and check them.

edit: rotors have races installed only

Last edited:
Just for the simple fact that they gave you estimate of $599 instead of $600 is cause for alarm right there.

It must be one of those chain stores like Midas or something.

How much time would it take for you to do all that yourself? is that time worth $600? Posibly busted knuckles? or seized/snapped/stripped fitting or fastener? ...see where I'm going. Sounds like a good price to me if they do good work.

This is probably a pretty righteous price for the parts and the work involved.
Yeah, you could do the whole thing for probably a couple of hundred bucks plus an entire lost weekend, but for six hundred bucks, I'd just write the check myself.

This all sounds good everyone. I usually do most of my mechanic work, but never tackled disc brakes before. Plus, the wife keeps telling me to let someone else do the work. I trust this shop pretty much, as they do all my state inspections and tire maintenance. Thanks for all the input.

It's a fair amount of money for only front brakes. What about other maint stuff like rear brakes or ball joints or tie rod ends or exhaust? How much is the vehicle worth?

Why not just slap on new pads? There are places that turn rotors on the vehicle. Pep Boys has a TV ad showing that I think. Not that I am a big fan of Pep Boys.

A bit high since you're supplying all the parts I think. And the fact you're supplying parts, there will be no warranty

The work includes removing/replacing all front wheel bearings and both seals. And removal/installation of Master Cylinder unit. Therefore, it's a little more involved than a basic brake job. I figured the bearings were about due for replacing. And yes, this is labor only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rumble
The work includes removing/replacing all front wheel bearings and both seals. And removal/installation of Master Cylinder unit. Therefore, it's a little more involved than a basic brake job. I figured the bearings were about due for replacing. And yes, this is labor only.

Replacing the bearings and seals is almost no extra labor at all over replacing just the rotors.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I don't think it's a steal for just labor, but it's not out of line either. Sounds pretty fair for a retail labor price IMO.

Agreed. Take the inspection out and you're at about $550.

Me, I'd take a day and do it myself. This is gravy work...but a day off can be well worth $550.

Doesn't bearing just sort of sitting there on the non-driven axle?

Would the OEM brake hoses be used? Or does he have to bend and flare?

Assuming $100 for labor, is this really 6 hours of labor? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back