Gin: which do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, once in a while I'll make a Bloody Mary and I use nothing but Bluecoat gin. Just the one I like as others to me leave something to be desired. Which gin do you folks like?

For a drink like a G&T where gin is the centerpiece of the drink, I like Plymouth; it's less dry than most and has a very unique taste.

G & T's are my summer drink of choice. 'Bombay Sapphire' is excellent. The 'Rangpur Lime' version of 'Tanqueray' is my go-to for G & T's. 'Iceberg' makes a nicely-priced dry gin as well.

John.

I can get 1.75L of Bombay for $30, so that's what I go with. My favorite is Hendricks (sp) and Beafeaters as another good alternative.

G&J greenalls. Fantastic gin, I really only drink it in gin n tonic and it has an awesome flavor comes from Britain in a green bottle.

Well, you opened Pandora's box for me. Here we go.

For red snappers (A bloody mary made with gin is called this. It is considered to be the first version of the drink.) I like Aviation gin the best. It has savory and black pepper notes that just go so well with the various ingredients in a bloody mary.

Other favorites (currently)

St. George Terroir
Old Raj
Plymouth Navy Strength
Zuidam Dutch Courage
Magellan
Bluecoat
Genius Navy Strength
The Botanist

I like so many it's hard to compile a complete list. I can also recommend gins based upon the flavor profile you like. I've tried many that I haven't been wowed by, but that doesn't mean they're not good. I personally prefer my gins to be at least 45%. 40% gins generally don't have enough alcohol content to dissolve enough of the plant oils.

Gin was originally no more than a very cheap spirit with juniper berries added to it to make it palatable.
The only way I personally drink it is as a gin and tonic or with bitter lemon, both of which are nice hot weather cocktails.
I don't find that brand matters all that much.

I think I am part of a very small group that drinks gin neat. The craft spirits movement has been good for this category.

As much as I "want to be a wine expert" I'd pay for instructive classes in gin and in rum.

Seagrams had a refinery in Linden, NJ. During its closure or heavy rearrangement they set their huge gin tanks outside right along Rt.1/9 with FOR SALE signs on them. Saw it with my own eyes.

A former worker identified the tanks as gin makin' tanks.

My favorite is Tanqueray, but I can rarely afford the price.

If I can find it on sale, I love me some Bombay Sapphire.

Bang for the buck, my any time gin is New Amsterdam.

If you are a fan of old school London Dry gins (like Tanqueray) try Broker's. It is award winning, but more importantly, a very good value.

Not to be the party pooper since I commented earlier but years ago I was diagnosed with a fatty liver. Doctor said to lose weight which I did. After doing some research I read the one spirit to eliminate was gin.

So I stick to Miller Lite(meh), various craft beers, misc wine, a tiny bit of vodka and Captain Morgan Rum with diet Coke or Pepsi.

DBMaster: thanks and I'll look for that.

Satinsilver: I only have gin and soda or Sprite once in a great while. Hardly ever drink beer anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back