Dialing for OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to a Pilot Car Driver that drove a Ford Crown Vic with the 4.6L SOHC 2V. According to him he had a contact at Mobil that recommended the following OCI.

Mobil Super - 6000 mi
Mobil Super Synthetic - 8000 mi
Mobil 1 - 10000 mi
Mobil 1 EP - 12000
Mobil 1 HM - Not Discussed

Sinve I have no way of confirming this use at your own risk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Talked to a Pilot Car Driver that drove a Ford Crown Vic with the 4.6L SOHC 2V. According to him he had a contact at Mobil that recommended the following OCI.

Mobil Super - 6000 mi
Mobil Super Synthetic - 8000 mi
Mobil 1 - 10000 mi
Mobil 1 EP - 12000
Mobil 1 HM - Not Discussed

Sinve I have no way of confirming this use at your own risk.

Generally speaking, one of the most reliable and durable engines made.

I could certainly see those being the recommended OCIs for that motor. Like galldif said, very reliable motors.

I would probably use a more premium filter than the motorcraft filter for more than 7,000 miles though. I'm sure it would hold up, but just for peace of mind (and I use FL820s on my mustang).

Those mileage numbers might not be very transferable to other cars though. Thinking specifically of some direct injected cars.

As an aside, Gene K, have you done any UOA on your 5.0? I'd love to see how your oil is holding up with that beast. Do you have the optional oil cooler that came with the track pack?

Last edited:
Pilot Car - long miles and many miles mostly. And plenty of idle time. Not a short tripper by most definitions. Motor pretty under-stressed as he's keeping up with wide-load, long-load, or over-weight limit load,; none of which move very fast ...

Compare that to a Honda mini-van doing errands all over town. The same mileages would not apply ...

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I could certainly see those being the recommended OCIs for that motor. Like galldif said, very reliable motors.

I would probably use a more premium filter than the motorcraft filter for more than 7,000 miles though. I'm sure it would hold up, but just for peace of mind (and I use FL820s on my mustang).

Those mileage numbers might not be very transferable to other cars though. Thinking specifically of some direct injected cars.

As an aside, Gene K, have you done any UOA on your 5.0? I'd love to see how your oil is holding up with that beast. Do you have the optional oil cooler that came with the track pack?

I've thought about doing a UOA but it sets a lot and gets low mileage (2,000 miles a year) with a lot of drag strip passes and spirited back road driving. I'm not sure how relatable it would be to anyone else.

It does not have the oil cooler. In practice that means Roush recommends 5W20 instead of 5W50 (Track Pack) since they default to factory grade.

Given bearing loading and street temps I could not make myself stay with a 20 grade but given the low oil temps at the strip and tight factory main and rod clearances 40 or 50 grade seemed excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back