How to prevent rubber fuel gasket from drying out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a bunch of the real deal NATO jerry cans for long term fuel storage. I also bought a bunch of the spare rubber gaskets to have replacements for the rest of my life and kids lives. These spare gaskets will be sitting on a shelf for decades most likely before they are used and I want to make sure they last and stay in new condition with out drying up and cracking. Should I store them in some rubber O-ring type grease like Nyogel 760 that is good for O-ring rubber? What would be the best way to keep these gaskets like new?

Here is the exact gasket and grease I'm thinking of using:

http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can-gasket/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NyoGel-760G-Synthetic-Flashlight-Lubricant-grease-Made-in-USA-1oz-28g-JAR-/331806549499?hash=item4d413625fb:g:lbQAAOSwEeFVNKbI

I'd get an empty quart or pint paint can with a good fitting lid, put all the rubber parts inside, seal the can, label it with clear printing and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I'd get an empty quart or pint paint can with a good fitting lid, put all the rubber parts inside, seal the can, label it with clear printing and call it a day.

Depending upon how over the top you want to get you might find a paint can rusting in a few years. I find Ball food storage bottles last longer. You could even throw in a few moisture absorbing pills and then find a way to seal the bottle, either with wax or paint or some kind of sealing material. That should out live your grandchildren.

I have some rubber "oil seals" for my Rotors.
I keep them for an emergency. What I learned was;

They are made of a material called Nitrile Rubber.
They have a shelf life of 3-5 years.
But could be extended longer if stored correctly.

I keep them in a dark, cool basement, in a plastic storage box.
I don't worry about them lasting forever.
If I was going to do major brake over-haul, I would also buy 'new' Seals.

Most any item today is not meant to last forever.
Some things will last a life-time, but then you miss out on newer designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back