RAM help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
And no, it's not the truck either...

So in my quest to figure out the issues in my wife's 8 year old gateway desktop, it turns out that it was the RAM going bad.(failed a memtest and died) Figures that this thing uses DDr2 memory instead of DDR3, and found out you can't use one for the other. So, and the hunt for some RAM...and not sure what to buy.Way too many choices on amazon and a few other places.

It quotes "4GB dual channel", so I figure a few 2GBs should do, or maybe go to 8GB in case I do windows 10 on the machine... So I ask-what are some good choices? (also budget minded) It this stage in it's life, it pretty much does internet, video, and and some Sims 3 Gaming...
wink.gif

Crucial, and most other memory manufacturers, have online tools that can probe your system to find compatible memory.

You don't have to buy it from them but use it as a resource to find out what capacities are available and what part numbers to shop for.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What are you asking for specifically? Brands? Recommended amounts? Speeds?

What model Gateway is it exactly?

http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-fx7026/specs/

Open to brands...need something solid- has 4GB can go to 8GB.

Something to keep it going, or making it run better without breaking the bank...

Crucial is the place I go for my RAM upgrades:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-memory-_-us-memory

That link takes you directly to a page that gives you teh option--you can either download their scan utility that will tell you exactly what you need, or simply let you select what brand computer, what model, and then it will tell you (without a scan)--kind of like going to the Fram page and you select enough choices and they tell you what oil filter number fits your car.

I have used them for years and never had a problem. There are probably a few places that can give you RAM at a cheaper rate, but for me I just go with a safe option.

The crucial page should also tell you the max---not sure if your max is 4 or 8, but obviously you will want to know.

The crucial page that shows you results also has links directly to their store, so you don't have to worry about what exact 2 or 4 gig stick to get, etc. You just figure out which stick you want, and click on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

So in my quest to figure out the issues in my wife's 8 year old gateway desktop, it turns out that it was the RAM going bad.(failed a memtest and died) Figures that this thing uses DDr2 memory instead of DDR3, and found out you can't use one for the other. So, and the hunt for some RAM...and not sure what to buy.Way too many choices on amazon and a few other places.

It quotes "4GB dual channel", so I figure a few 2GBs should do, or maybe go to 8GB in case I do windows 10 on the machine... So I ask-what are some good choices? (also budget minded) It this stage in it's life, it pretty much does internet, video, and and some Sims 3 Gaming...
wink.gif

Eight years out is a long life for a PC.....better off just buying a new one now. That is a Vista unit? Support has expired by now.

Last edited:
Might have some DDR2 at home I can send you, for free USPS snail mail. I can't say for sure until Friday night as I won't get home until then.
I build my own computers, need to rummage through my parts.
Let me know.

Best bet is used for higher priced obsolete RAM, either Craigslist or eBay.

DDR2 kits were much smaller most people used 2x1 gig and at the end 4x1 gig was common. I still have a set of 2x512MB DDR2-1066 ram that no one wants, I've tried on Craigslist everyone wants more capacity

Your machine isn't that far behind my current workstation... Core 2 Quad @ 2.53. I'm still happy with mine, but I got 12GB on it. Its a work machine so apps stay loaded into RAM all day long. It goes into standby end of the day and it only gets rebooted monthly.

Crucial says you got 4 slots of DDR2 667 or 800 @ $27 for 2GB.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Gateway/fx7026

Chances are you got 2 sticks of 2GB each = 4GB total. If you plan on doing 8GB you'll need to install 64bit OS, if you don't already.

Do yourself a favor ...dont spend a nickel on that thing. Upgrading to win10 on that old system with not enough memory will be useless for anything other than web and email. Get a basic new machine and it'll work right out of the box.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Do yourself a favor ...dont spend a nickel on that thing. Upgrading to win10 on that old system with not enough memory will be useless for anything other than web and email. Get a basic new machine and it'll work right out of the box.

Best answer, and prices have really fallen even for better desktops.

These are what I do 99.99% with my Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop, the 0.01% of the time I print few pages of mostly coupons or rebate forms.

This is my system:
MS Window XP Home Edition Version 2002 Sevice Pack 3

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Procesor TK-53 799 MHz, 1.87 GB of RAM

ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

As much as I would like to, the wife now wants it to keep going...

*sigh*

Originally Posted By: paulri
Crucial is the place I go for my RAM upgrades:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-memory-_-us-memory

That link takes you directly to a page that gives you teh option--you can either download their scan utility that will tell you exactly what you need, or simply let you select what brand computer, what model, and then it will tell you (without a scan)--kind of like going to the Fram page and you select enough choices and they tell you what oil filter number fits your car.

I have used them for years and never had a problem. There are probably a few places that can give you RAM at a cheaper rate, but for me I just go with a safe option.

The crucial page should also tell you the max---not sure if your max is 4 or 8, but obviously you will want to know.

The crucial page that shows you results also has links directly to their store, so you don't have to worry about what exact 2 or 4 gig stick to get, etc. You just figure out which stick you want, and click on it.

Will check it out!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
And DDR2 will be expensive nowadays.

Actually it isn't from many places. I just upgraded an old computer of my Aunt's with DDR2 and got a 2GB for just $15( new ).

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

wink.gif

Go to the link below. It is the site I use for memory( just used it for my Aunt's upgrade mentioned ^^^ ). Their house brand is fine( name brands repackaged under their name ). You can max out to 8GB for less than $70( 4 X 2GB stick @ $16.95 = $67.80 and they usually offer free shipping with cheap upgrades to get it faster ).

If you want to keep the computer and run Windows 10 on it then max it to the 8GB for best results.

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/GatewayFX7026Desktop.html

Last edited:
windows 10 runs fine on my 1GB tablet.. I wouldnt bother upgrading memory past 4GB
or spending over 50$ fixing it.

Memory errors can also be caused by motherboard.
Which memory chip was bad since you have 2 you can pull 1 and retest each 1 at a time.

If both test bad.. its probably the motherboard.
8GB@70$ is a good price but still expensive
considering ddr4 is down to 16GB for ~50$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back