'02 Linc Continental valve cover gasket procedure

Looking to find a procedure or video on this and came up empty last night after 2 hours of Googling/Utubing it. Various Lincoln forums don't have any threads on the 1996-2002 Continental valve covers. Town Car and LS maintenance info is all over the place. First time I've run into a wall when trying to hunt information down.

Already found all the information I need for the serpentine belt, idler puller and tensioner replacements. All that's left to research is the source of the leak that caused damage to my drive belt (highly suspect outer side of front valve cover gasket).

The front valve cover looks quite accessible. Don't see why it wouldn't come off in about 15-30 min. Only interference is a coolant hose connection and ignition wire cover. The coolant hose is about level with the system high point vent fitting. Any inputs would be appreciated to make this go smoother. Can't see the exact source of the leak on to the serpentine belt but the inner side of the VC gasket is moist. It might be possible that the power steering hose in that area could be weeping on to the belt.

When in there would new spark plug tube seals be required? Sealant on new gasket or just use dry? 71K miles so this will be the first time seeing how clean it is in the upper engine. Might as well check a spark plug for reference.

Nothing to do with your question, however I have to tell you that the 98-02 Continentals were GREAT cars.

I had two 98's and an 02. Loved them. I well still have the 02 if my wife had not worried about the AC and the Air Suspension. The only problems I ever had were an outer tierod end went on one of the 98's got fixed in Phoenix, a coil pack went on the other 98, got fixed at a Ford Dealer in Rochester NY, a transmission seal leak in one of the 98's, got it fixed at a Ford Dealer in Orangeburg SC, and Air Condition problem on the 02, got it fixed in Leesburg FL.

If Lincoln would bring out a cat that looked like the 98-02 Continental, but with 18inch wheels and updated electronics (Gps, etc), I would buy one in a NYMinute. Needless to say, I don't like the looks of the new 2017 Continental.
Look up the word UGLY in the dictionary and you see the picture of the 2017 Continental. (Now they are even putting that ugly grill on the 2017 MKZ).

Don't know what I will buy to replace our 2011 MKZ but will keep the 2013 E350.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Looking to find a procedure or video on this and came up empty last night after 2 hours of Googling/Utubing it. Various Lincoln forums don't have any threads on the 1996-2002 Continental valve covers. Town Car and LS maintenance info is all over the place. First time I've run into a wall when trying to hunt information down.

Already found all the information I need for the serpentine belt, idler puller and tensioner replacements. All that's left to research is the source of the leak that caused damage to my drive belt (highly suspect outer side of front valve cover gasket).

The front valve cover looks quite accessible. Don't see why it wouldn't come off in about 15-30 min. Only interference is a coolant hose connection and ignition wire cover. The coolant hose is about level with the system high point vent fitting. Any inputs would be appreciated to make this go smoother. Can't see the exact source of the leak on to the serpentine belt but the inner side of the VC gasket is moist. It might be possible that the power steering hose in that area could be weeping on to the belt.

When in there would new spark plug tube seals be required? Sealant on new gasket or just use dry? 71K miles so this will be the first time seeing how clean it is in the upper engine. Might as well check a spark plug for reference.

PM me your email and I can send you the FSM procedure.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
69GTX said:
PM me your email and I can send you the FSM procedure.

Thanks bdcardinal. That's an offer that's to good to refuse.

Ctrcbob, I generally agree with you on these 4.6L Lincoln Continentals. I went 232K miles on my 1997 before something happened to the water pump that overheated the engine at 232K miles. That car certainly nickled and dimed me from 175K-225K miles. Other than the engine and trans there wasn't much that wasn't causing problems in that window. This 2002 I've now had 7 years and it's had a new left front axle (broken tone ring), radiator, front brakes/rotors, and tires. The cruise control went out around 45K-55K miles. I'm not really a fan of the air ride suspension as it's just more stuff to go wrong...it's a smooth ride though. I've had 2 of these and not likely I'd go for a 3rd as they are just getting to darn old. But maybe a low mileage post-2007 V8 Caddy/Town Car, CV, or GM could work.

I remember those when they first rolled into the dealership. Loved to drive those. They were delayed because they were having PCM programming issues with the then new AX4N transaxle. To get the trans to survive behind that engine, power had to be reduced at shift points to save the clutches, and a few different techniques were being used to figure it out. Eventually timing was pulled wayyyy back when the clutches applied on shifting. Except for the instrument cluster recall, and a couple of minor problems, they turned out to be really nice reliable cars.....that could bleed your wallet for air suspension problems if you let it go to long with a problem.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Sealant on new gasket or just use dry?

If it's one of those silicone seals that fits down into a groove, then no sealant is necessary. If anything, a little engine oil to help it slide into place.

Based on the FSM pages that bdcardinal sent me (thank you), the OEM recommends no sealant except on 2 small areas (the seal between the valves and timing sprocket).

Originally Posted By: punisher
I remember those when they first rolled into the dealership. Loved to drive those. They were delayed because they were having PCM programming issues with the then new AX4N transaxle. To get the trans to survive behind that engine, power had to be reduced at shift points to save the clutches, and a few different techniques were being used to figure it out. Eventually timing was pulled wayyyy back when the clutches applied on shifting. Except for the instrument cluster recall, and a couple of minor problems, they turned out to be really nice reliable cars.....that could bleed your wallet for air suspension problems if you let it go to long with a problem.

Cobra motor goosing an AX4N? Wow. That I never knew.

Based on the FSM pages that bdcardinal sent me (thank you), the OEM recommends no sealant except on 2 small areas (the seal between the valves and timing sprocket).
Can you send me the FSM pages? I'm about to do this.
Is really appreciate it

Back