Amsoil - Strategic Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Your G37 is getting long in the tooth, it's eight years old already. A good shot of Mobil 1330 will clean up the mess 5w40 is leaving behind year after year.

You better hope Doug doesn't see that, or he'll box your ears.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I'll buy you a dozen for the Infinity, but you have to post the UOA.

Do I get a towing gift certificate to keep me going in the winter?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
And more than likely has never used it and so has no valid information upon which to form an opinion other than what is posted here.

Exactly. You can gripe all you want about them but their products are generally great ones.

Just nowadays they no longer have a huge advantage over the regular off the shelf oils...

Amsoil now longer has a huge advantage over the regular off the shelf oils...?
I knew that sooner or later, we would wake up screaming in the night.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
You are further confused as to the difference between Blenders and Formulators. Blenders mix according to stated blending tables from additive companies.

Coorporate formulators mostly develop new lubricant formulations, but many develop new base oils and new additives, and determine what applications are best suited for those new base oils and new additives.

I know most formulators are advanced Chemists who hold at least one post-graduate degree and contrary to your misinformation, we do design new molecules, which is not a monkey job. For example, new base oils such as Ionic Liquids, OSP's, and new PAO-Ester polymers come to mind.

I believe the OP's attitude, which has been echoed by many other posters here, comes from the limited information we get from VOA/UOA and MSDS.

I believe it leads to somewhat of an over-simplification of motor oil.

There is TBN, additives (trace element only), and base oil. If an oil is using unique additives there is no way of knowing because we only know the trace element. Importantly, we don't know how well the sum of the parts work, or have very limited information from UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back