car storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there
i am going on a 2 month vacation. should i put my car into storage or not. if yes how should i do it.
many thnaks.

I remember getting underway for 3 to 5 months at time. My car would be parked outside in deployed parking. I disconnected the battery and it would start when I got back.
Maybe put some STABIL I the fuel. You will be fine for 2 months. My truck sits that long in the winter sometimes.

I wouldn't do anything special for storage other than your own garage, assuming you have one or at least a car port. For only 60 days in summer you shouldn't have to anything but inflate the tires higher than normal, top off fuel tank and add some Stabil. If worried about critters put some moth balls or other deterrents around the car.

Yeah, when I did 4 month deployments in the 1980's my car would sit in on base deployed parking in the dead of winter with nothing special done to it other than the battery....who knew? As I recall it always started up on my return. Cars are a lot better today.

I wouldn't even touch the battery cable.

My mom's Buick sat for 3 months out front and I just went over and it fired right up and I drove it into the back yard.

well, my answer is do nothing.
My brother has an 07 Dakota, with a little over 40k miles on it.
until recently it would regularly sit 6mos to a year at a time. the most he has ever done to it is disconnect the battery/put it on a battery tender.

he also has a 98 Mustang with around 14.5k mi. mostly sat in the garage it's whole life. Pretty much the same routine. I think it's still on it's factory tires too.
he did have to replace the fuel pump once, because he never put preservatives in the fuel system, and it was fully "varnished up".
That though was after about 10 years of sitting.

I'd disconnect the negative battery terminal, but it's probably not necessary.

I'd stuff some hardware cloth (thick mesh screen) in the air intake, if you have any. Keep the varmints out, but will let air through to run if there's an emergency.

I wouldn't go and buy the stuff just for this, though.

+2 on pumping up the tires, maybe 50 lbs.

You know this is stupid, but I parked "wheels down" except on 6x6 lumber to be higher off the ground. Lets more air "breathe" underneath and lessens rain splashing up from the pavement on stuff like brake rotors. Come spring I drove off the blocks. It was ready to go in an emergency and the suspension bushings were at their natural ride height.

Originally Posted By: Aple996
hi there
i am going on a 2 month vacation. should i put my car into storage or not. if yes how should i do it.
many thnaks.

Agree with ls1mike...disconnect the battery, or at least check the owner's manual to see what it recommends; vehicles differ - some are fine for extended periods, others deplete the battery in a week or two.

Thanks for the advice.again many thanks to everyone.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
thanks.

Nick1994, does leaving the battery hooked up do anything beside let it drain?

My truck is being stored and I have a new battery in it and am worried about the electronics/electrics/fuses/relays/etc frying from being under constant voltage. And then when the battery finally does deplete it will be like an antique watch and produce that blue/green acid dust that etches and destroys anything it touches. I cannot get to it to remove the neg cable, but I worry sometimes.

When the car show comes to town during our state fair I notice some neg cables being unhooked. They are usually here for two weeks.

Maybe it is not optimal to leave the battery connected, but maybe, also, it is something the Exide and the Big3 (Chrysler, FoMoCo, GM) have all accounted for to help the end user.

Still, I dont know if you unhook the cable to let the battery hold a charge a little longer- as it is without parasitic drain. OR is it helping the electrical/charging system by not being under constant charge?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd stuff some hardware cloth (thick mesh screen) in the air intake, if you have any. Keep the varmints out, but will let air through to run if there's an emergency.

I wouldn't go and buy the stuff just for this, though.

+2 on pumping up the tires, maybe 50 lbs.

You know this is stupid, but I parked "wheels down" except on 6x6 lumber to be higher off the ground. Lets more air "breathe" underneath and lessens rain splashing up from the pavement on stuff like brake rotors. Come spring I drove off the blocks. It was ready to go in an emergency and the suspension bushings were at their natural ride height.

Good idear! I bet a sheet of that over the intake (or throttle body) and another over the muffler pipe, and maybe one for the fresh air intake for the HVAC system could and would save alot of work for those who go around looking for barn finds. Probably only takes a few minutes too!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: dishdude
thanks.

Nick1994, does leaving the battery hooked up do anything beside let it drain?

My truck is being stored and I have a new battery in it and am worried about the electronics/electrics/fuses/relays/etc frying from being under constant voltage. And then when the battery finally does deplete it will be like an antique watch and produce that blue/green acid dust that etches and destroys anything it touches. I cannot get to it to remove the neg cable, but I worry sometimes.

When the car show comes to town during our state fair I notice some neg cables being unhooked. They are usually here for two weeks.

Maybe it is not optimal to leave the battery connected, but maybe, also, it is something the Exide and the Big3 (Chrysler, FoMoCo, GM) have all accounted for to help the end user.

Still, I dont know if you unhook the cable to let the battery hold a charge a little longer- as it is without parasitic drain. OR is it helping the electrical/charging system by not being under constant charge?
This is only 2 months, nothing to worry about. Leaving it plugged in will keep your clock time and radio stations. That's about it.

I have a car sits for long periods of time (6 months). All I do is disconnect the battery. After two months being connected, it likely won't start your car and its life will be shortened.. You do not need to do anything else.I do not pump up tires or add fuel stabilizer.I fill up the gas tank. I have done this since 1989 and no problems.If you're due for an oil change, change it.

What kind of car? Best is to connect up a BatteryMinder to it for the 2 months. May be over the top, but your battery will be better for it. Look for one that has high and low temp compensation. BatteryMinder 2102 is my suggestion. I have two.

What kind of car? Best is to connect up a BatteryMinder to it for the 2 months. May be over the top, but your battery will be better for it. Look for one that has high and low temp compensation. BatteryMinder 2102 is my suggestion. I have two.

Moth balls under hood and inside if mice are around.

I've parked my van longer than that several times over the past 29 years w/o issues. You could toss a little Stabil in the gas and fill the tank. Or just fill it up and park it. 2 months is nothing. I had no problems restarting it even the battery was fine.

Some cars do drain the battery to maintain their little computer brains.
Disconnection may be the way to go.
Do remember, some cars have a procedure for reconnecting the negative lead such as putting the key into position II first.
Also, there may be a reset procedure for the ACC (climate control) upon reconnection. I know for a fact that the Saabs in the family have such a step. There are two buttons you push simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back