Buy Ruger 9E or S&W SD9VE for home property carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for an inexpensive high capacity 9mm to carry on my own property walking the dogs etc.

Just wondering what you think of both guns. Don't want to spend a lot.

Thanks!

Both pistols are $299 brand new at a mega gun store near me-Vances. The Smith comes with 2 mags while the Ruger doesn't. I'd get what feels better in my hands.

Depends on how much property you own and your comfort distance to strangers.

Safety shouldn't be a $$ concern.

Smith is a sorta copy of the Glock hand guns. It does not have a safety. It's 100% reliable, and comes with 2 magazines.

Ruger has a safety. It comes with 1 magazine. It's 100% reliable.

I own the SD9VE and in my opinion, it is a FANTASTIC gun. I've shot the Rugers but I prefer the Smith & Wesson. I own more than 20 handguns, some quite expensive. I would gladly use the SD9VE for defensive use. My wife likes it, so she is using it at the moment.

Look at a Canik TP9V2 or Canik TP9SF if you get a chance. It's a $550 gun that sells for $320. FANTASTIC guns for the money. Many gun reviewers and myself think they are the best budget guns on the market. I'd actually buy a Canik before the SD9VE or the Ruger. As a plus, if you are just going to use the gun walking your property and walking the dogs, the Canik also comes with a serviceable belt holster.

The safety on the Ruger may pay for itself in peace of mind.

I own a couple of Glocks. I wouldn't carry your Smith or one of my Glocks on a daily basis unless I trained with it in a well designed holster on a very regular basis.

I'm the opposite. My trigger finger is my safety. I avoid carry guns with safeties at all cost. I want it to go bang when I pull the trigger. Of course, that takes a bit more training, and a safety might be a good idea for a novice.

I have both and even though I like the Ruger trigger more than the S&W: IMO for the same money the SD9VE is a better value.

I'd get the Smith, I have a 2010 Model Sigma and it's a decent gun albeit a heavy gritty trigger, the new SD9VE is an even better product.

You don't need an external safety on these the trigger is pretty heavy 7-8 lbs actual according to some users measurements.

If you are really worried you can get a Massachusetts trigger at 10.5+ lbs. My Sigma is probably 13 lbs, it ain't going anywhere by accident.

If you get the Massachusetts version you'll also only get 10 round mags

Both to big (for me to carry). I don't need nor want 17+1 rounds. Faced with the best of the worst I would go with the Smith.

The M&P Shield is decent and ultra reliable. I have one. I prefer the lighter LP9s or The 43. Best (for me) is the 43. You may regret not but something smaller and lighter some day and wonder why you were so cheap.

If you can't afford what you want, you can't afford to practice with it...IMHO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back