Duralast Max semi-metallic brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
The front pads on my GTI will be needing replaced soon. The OEM pads are semi-metallic, so I'm sticking with that friction compound. I noticed AutoZone has a new line of Duralast Max semi metallic brake pads with part numbers for my car. They are made in the USA/Virgina which is a plus, but I noticed from careful viewing online, the friction rating is FF. I don't need anything better than stock, but I don't want to downgrade my brakes either. Anyone here have experience with the new Duralast Max semi-metallic brake pads yet?

Last edited:
I have Autozone Duralast CMax pads in my Highlander. The "C" is for ceramic. My pads were made in India. I don't know the friction rating of my pads.

The pads are o.k. in stopping power and the dusting is minimal.

Looks like they are the same as their gold pads. Probably similar to the advance Gold/Plat pads.

Should be fine for your car if you are looking for OEM style braking.

For a euro car, either use the OE pads from the dealer or an aftermarket german brand such as Textar from worldpac. IME experience, using either of these two options will result in the lowest noise and a pedal feel that is most similar to factory. The OE pads from the dealer will usually have an adhesive backing on the inner pad that any of the aftermarket pads lack.

Keep in mind that the friction rating codes represent a very wide range of friction levels and there are many other factors that will ultimately affect a pad's performance.

Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

According to a list i found on another forum Duralast Max series have FF rating while Gold series -the ones with lifetime warranty- has FE rating;

Duralast Gold - FE
Duralast Max - FF
Nissan Ceramic - FF
Toyota Ceramic - FG
Akebono ProAct Ceramic- FG
Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Met - FG
Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic- GG
Akebono Performance Ceramic - GG
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic - GG

This list might not be true though; Akebono ProACTs listed as FG but I've seen pictures of them with FF marks on the pads.

I'm looking for a pair of pads for my fronts on Scion xB 2010. I didn't want to start a new topic since this one seems pretty related. Right now, I have ordered Akebono ProACTs but I'm planning to return them. Here is why;

I was about to buy Toyota/Scion OEM pads for $66 but after reading that they are ceramic pads I decided to go with Akebono since lots of people are using them happily and they were $45 and probably the OEM supplier for Toyota. But after further investigation I saw that main reason people are happy with Akebonos is no brake dust, even though they have less bite than OEMs.

I don't care about brake dust. No matter how much, especially by sacrificing my brake power.

Anyway, I have made some research and found out that Akebono ProACTs has FF performance rating. I live in a pretty cold climate, do you think that I should stick with those pads or should I return them and order OEMs or HAWK HPS? I heard that ceramic pads might perform worse while they are cold.

Or is it enough for my '10 xB with 135k? I do highway driving everyday about 20miles but time to time it's snow covered.

Thanks for responses in advance.

Last edited:
Are your brakes so abysmal that you can barely lock the wheels? Once you lock the wheels, you can't add any more brake power either.

If you want more brake power, you should be looking at softer compound tyres, and better shock absorber to keep the wheels in contact with the road under braking.

My car has ABS and I've heard stuff that Akebono's can't activate the ABS.

That's the kind of stuff that makes me scary about them.

I got them half an hour ago, indecisive between going to mechanic and sending them back.

brake-pad-codes.jpg

Thank you for posting this here, I've checked this chart. It seems like FF is a good rating. Just trying to decide if I should deal with the hassle of sending them back and ordering OEM pads or ignore a couple of scary posts here and there on the internet.

Originally Posted By: puredata
I'm looking for a pair of pads for my fronts on Scion xB 2010. I didn't want to start a new topic since this one seems pretty related. Right now, I have ordered Akebono ProACTs but I'm planning to return them. Here is why;

I was about to buy Toyota/Scion OEM pads for $66 but after reading that they are ceramic pads I decided to go with Akebono since lots of people are using them happily and they were $45 and probably the OEM supplier for Toyota. But after further investigation I saw that main reason people are happy with Akebonos is no brake dust, even though they have less bite than OEMs.

I don't care about brake dust. No matter how much, especially by sacrificing my brake power.

Anyway, I have made some research and found out that Akebono ProACTs has FF performance rating. I live in a pretty cold climate, do you think that I should stick with those pads or should I return them and order OEMs or HAWK HPS? I heard that ceramic pads might perform worse while they are cold.

Or is it enough for my '10 xB with 135k? I do highway driving everyday about 20miles but time to time it's snow covered.

Thanks for responses in advance.

Toyota uses multiple suppliers - usually it is Akebono, Advics and NBK. But lately, it is usually Advics and occasionally NBK. Akebono is becoming less common for Toyota.

The ProACT is Akebono's aftermarket line. Compared to most aftermarket pads (especially ThermoQuiet), it is a pretty good pad. Low noise, good pedal feel, reasonably low dust. Doesn't chew up rotors but does tend to leave heavy dark deposits. The service life can sometimes be poor on heavier vehicles (e.g. Highlander/RX). They also use the single-layer shims (not the heavier duty 2-piece OE design), but for some reason this seems to work okay since the pad material is very quiet.

However, if you are a very discerning driver, you will probably find that the ProACT pads have a smoother and more progressive feel than the OE pads. I have installed quite a few sets of the ProACT pads and many sets of OE Toyota pads (often in the same application) and can tell you that the OE pads will have a sharper initial bite. Some people like this (I do), some people prefer the smoother feel of the Akebonos. You have to be a very discerning driver to notice, or you have to drive the same car back-to-back.

The OE pads for your car are part #04465-42160 and the required shim kit is part #04945-12110. MSRP for the pads is $99 and MSRP for the shim kit is $37. The notes say that the OE pads for your car are the Advics.

Also, the dealer may try to sell you a "Toyota Complete Maintenance Care" pad kit. These pads are similar to the ProACT pads but tend to be noisy. Here's some info on the differences between the two:

http://carspecmn.com/toyota-complete-maintenance-care-brakes-vs-toyota-factory-brake-replacement/

Thank you The Critic! That's a lot of nice information.

Actually, I have found all of the three brake pads' friction rating last night and leaned towards to go with OEM parts.

Akebono ProActs have FF (I have them right now)

Hawk HPSs have FF (What?)

Toyota OEM Factory Replacement Brake Pads have FG rating which means they'll have less fade at higher temps compared to other two. I added the exact model you posted last night to my cart on amazon for $66 free shipping, but just wanted to wait for more responses to not to act too quick. Today they are $66 + $11 shipping and it seems like I wasn't aware of the needed shims. This will add another $26 to the job. But anyway, I'll be expecting at least 25-30k out of them and price difference divided by time period I'm going to use this gadget looks like it's not a big deal.

Will I need shims with Akebonos? I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, after reading the article you posted I sent a quote request to my dealership for non TCMC brake pads shims -and while I'm at it rotors-

Let's see what they'll quote me and if it's not way too high compared to going to the mechanic and getting the Akebonos plus Centrics I'll choose to have peace of mind and get OEM parts.

Last edited:
Thank you The Critic! That's a lot of nice information.

Actually, I have found all of the three brake pads' friction rating last night and leaned towards to go with OEM parts.

Akebono ProActs have FF (I have them right now)

Hawk HPSs have FF (What?)

Toyota OEM Factory Replacement Brake Pads have FG rating which means they'll have less fade at higher temps compared to other two. I added the exact model you posted last night to my cart on amazon for $66 free shipping, but just wanted to wait for more responses to not to act too quick. Today they are $66 + $11 shipping and it seems like I wasn't aware of the needed shims. This will add another $26 to the job. But anyway, I'll be expecting at least 25-30k out of them and price difference divided by time period I'm going to use this gadget looks like it's not a big deal.

Will I need shims with Akebonos? I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, after reading the article you posted I sent a quote request to my dealership for non TCMC brake pads shims -and while I'm at it rotors-

Let's see what they'll quote me and if it's not way too high compared to going to the mechanic and getting the Akebonos plus Centrics I'll choose to have peace of mind and get OEM parts.

If you still have the original pads on the car (from the factory), you may be able to re-use the shims. At least that's the case with the mild climate in CA. But in your climate, it may be a different story.

The Akebono ProACT pads use a one-piece clip on shim that is similar to the TCMC pads. They seem to work fine for the ProACT pads in many applications.

Thanks again The Critic

Here is the quote from my dealer;

$99 brake pads ($66 on amazon)
$76 per rotor ($66 on amazon)
$45 for shims ($25 on web+shipping since it's not available on amazon)

$99 labor

I'll hit my mechanic and bring the akebonos to him, if he can salvage the rotors I'll stick with Akebonos. Otherwise this brake job is about to blow on my face around $400 at dealership

Ended up getting rotor resurfacing and Akebonos installed. Applied a quasi bedding process (4 45 to 10 mph moderate stops)

For normal braking they feel similar maybe even smoother. For hard braking they are uncomparable. I hope this improves after 400 miles that they suggest.

I heard some slight grinding on one stop but mostly they're quiet.

I'll update after 400 miles.

Thanks for all the answers and information!

Ended up getting rotor resurfacing and Akebonos installed. Applied a quasi bedding process (4 45 to 10 mph moderate stops)

For normal braking they feel similar maybe even smoother. For hard braking they are uncomparable. I hope this improves after 400 miles that they suggest.

I heard some slight grinding on one stop but mostly they're quiet.

I'll update after 400 miles.

Thanks for all the answers and information!

What's the issue during hard braking?

My previous '99 Corolla was always serviced at the dealership until I got it. Not knowing enough about cars, when I needed a brake pad change I went with one of auto parts chains' ceramic pads. Man, was that a bad decision.

I can't say there is an issue on hard braking it is just softer, maybe it's just the newly resurfaced rotors and brake in process of the pads and I'm having placebo effects of the scary stories I've read on internet.

I can live with "need for more pressure to brake pedal to have the same amount of brake force" if it's ultimately giving me the same braking power. Especially at consistent freezing temperatures. The reason that I'm not going to choose the same pads on my next application is that I don't care about the brake dust and noise, I just want to stop/slow down on the shortest possible distance without needing a whole brake upgrade set.

Thank you so much for your interest on the subject!

Last edited:
After reading info The Critic posted I'll do the OEM factory hardware thank you, $185 with the frt./rear both shims. Ditch the creaking not quiet Wagner pads.

Isn't it priceless to have 2 brand new noises right after the brake job?

First is coming from front wheels and it's a circular sound. it sounds like something is slipping something but not always only at some points, so as I drive it turns into a circular escalating rubbing noise. Is that a normal process of break in process?

Second is pretty weird and I don't think it's related to brake job but I'm pretty sure it just started after getting the service. I'm getting rumbling sound on bumps and holes. I have had problems with heat shields before, I'm suspecting those might have slid when the car got lifted.

I should go back and tell them but I don't know how to explain what's going on. I'll have him ride with me otherwise I'll start looking for a mechanic that lets me stand by the car when they're tinkering on it.

Last edited:
In the front make sure the pie tin is not bent and rubbing on the rotor.

I had a brand new rear drum that was out of round and made a knocking noise when the brakes were used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back