2017 Ford Fusion Sport - 325 hp, 350 tq, AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
By the way, this is based on regular gas. I've heard some talk that these Ecoboost engines deliver even better performance when you fill up with premium.

Apparently I was wrong. That 380 lb-ft of torque is acheved on 93 octane gas.

I have to say, while im not dazzled by the styling, this could be a real contender to replace my Mustang.

I want to see what is being done (if anything) to up the output of the motor. Is it just a tune? is it physically the same as the current 2.7T in the F150? If its beefed up somehow in some ways to handle even MORE power, I'd be ecstatic.

Dont get me wrong, I like the fusions style overall, but I feel like the sport needs a little more to stand out. I'll be eagerly awaiting reviews and tests. I wanted to jump on a Focus RS, but honestly anymore for my daily I need an automatic. I love driving manuals but in traffics its just a PIA.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I want to see what is being done (if anything) to up the output of the motor. Is it just a tune? is it physically the same as the current 2.7T in the F150?

Probably the same engine, just slightly different tune. The one in the F150 is rated at 325 HP and 375 lb-ft of torque, so that's almost identical to Fusion Sport.

Quote:
but honestly anymore for my daily I need an automatic.

This is actually my personal hangup with this Fusion Sport. That 6-speed auto is an old design and from what I hear, it doesn't shift as quickly (in manual mode) as some of the more modern transmissions. But it's still worth a test drive, I guess.

The torque output is probably transmission limited, or it might be higher. Usually you see the truck engines de-rated because they are expected carry payload and might then operate at a high output for a sustained period of time.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The torque output is probably transmission limited,

It could be. I don't think Ford ever published a torque limit for the 6F55 trans. Previously, I think the highest torque application of this trans was in Taurus SHO which was around 350 lb-ft, if I'm not mistaken.

It could be. I don't think Ford ever published a torque limit for the 6F55 trans. Previously, I think the highest torque application of this trans was in Taurus SHO which was around 350 lb-ft, if I'm not mistaken.

Yup, and thats with the 3.5, which has over 400 in an F150, so it looks like 350 is the limit. They may have beefed up the transmission to get the 380 figure. Maybe the SHO will get a power urate in the future.

IIRC the trans is good for around 400 lb-ft if you go by the 6f55 being good for 550nm. From what I remember the SHO, Flex, Explorer, MKS, etc are all limited by the AWD system to the 350 lb-ft, not the trans. However there are guys running some wild tunes on the SHO and Flex and the drivetrain seems to hold up well to it.

The Fusion Sport seems to be an interesting ride and may still be a contender when it's time to replace the SHO next year. The Mustang is still the front runner though.

I want to see what is being done (if anything) to up the output of the motor. Is it just a tune? is it physically the same as the current 2.7T in the F150?

Probably the same engine, just slightly different tune. The one in the F150 is rated at 325 HP and 375 lb-ft of torque, so that's almost identical to Fusion Sport.

Quote:
but honestly anymore for my daily I need an automatic.

This is actually my personal hangup with this Fusion Sport. That 6-speed auto is an old design and from what I hear, it doesn't shift as quickly (in manual mode) as some of the more modern transmissions. But it's still worth a test drive, I guess.

Yes, this car deserves a REAL, Bimmer-style SMG, but of course that would add BIG $$$$ to the price tag.
frown.gif

I am really let down by the fuel economy. I would have preferred to see a 300hp 2.5 4-cyl over a v6 for reduced pumping losses. At this point a Maxima with 300hp and 30mpg on 87 octane looks appealing if I wanted more power.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
At this point a Maxima with 300hp and 30mpg on 87 octane looks appealing if I wanted more power.

300 HP FWD? Meh.

Also, that Maxima engine only provides 261 lb-ft of torque.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
I am really let down by the fuel economy. I would have preferred to see a 300hp 2.5 4-cyl over a v6 for reduced pumping losses. At this point a Maxima with 300hp and 30mpg on 87 octane looks appealing if I wanted more power.

I looked at a new Maxima when they came out and found an unlocked one. Popped the hood and looked at the engine. Then couldn't get the hood to shut properly. After 3-4 times I looked at the latch and it was loose. Never had that happen before while looking at new or used cars. I think the sticker was 42k or so.

Test drove one this weekend. Of course it was filled with 87 gas, so it wasnt as peppy as it could have been, but still fairly quick. Surprisingly, people are only getting 0-60 on these cars in high 5 seconds, while on 93 oct gas, which is slower than expected. But i havent seen any instrumented tests from any of the major mags yet.

All in all not a bad package, but the trans programming, suspension, and steering isn't as buttoned up as a bmw 340i. Granted, fusion sport is probably some $15k cheaper.

One negative that i noticed and is getting confirmed on some fusion forums is that the engine sound inside the cabin appears to be fake - piped through the speakers.

Also, you only get one interior color option - gray. Seat fabric feels good, but looks kind of cheap, IMO.

http://jalopnik.com/the-325-horsepower-2017-ford-fusion-sport-is-not-the-au-1785980191

Sad ford did not even try to make fun. A powerful family sedan with Awd and mundane fusion otherwise.....Accord V6 mentioned in article provided by ford as compare as more fun to drive and it does not even try to portray image on it.

I predict paltry sales as powerful mundane cars don't sell in droves. Also the poor MPG won't help either. Not a ford hater just sorely disappointed ford did not try.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
http://jalopnik.com/the-325-horsepower-2017-ford-fusion-sport-is-not-the-au-1785980191

Sad ford did not even try to make fun. A powerful family sedan with Awd and mundane fusion otherwise.....Accord V6 mentioned in article provided by ford as compare as more fun to drive and it does not even try to portray image on it.

I predict paltry sales as powerful mundane cars don't sell in droves. Also the poor MPG won't help either. Not a ford hater just sorely disappointed ford did not try.

I think I'm actually test driving one tomorrow, but at this point im not expecting much. From some of the limited reviews i've seen so far (the youtube channel autovlog has done a couple good ones, one really long in depth one) it just doenst seem to move all that well.

From what we can see in any 0-60 or 0-100 runs so far, the car is being held back. Looks to me like a combination of gearing, and ECU tuning. The F150 with the same engine appears quicker. So there is certainly something holding the car back. Other than that, I think it meets most of the requirements for a "sport" model, at least according to "sport" models from ford. Its not an ST, or RS, but they need to get the acceleration sorted out. I'll see tomorrow, but at the same time I dont think i'll be doing any launches on the test drive.

Like alot of people have been saying, a tune would really wake it up/change its character, but I feel like it shouldnt need one right away.

Looks are a subjective thing, overall I like it, but the wheels look a little cheaper to me.

Its not an ST, or RS, but they need to get the acceleration sorted out.

When I test drove one, acceleration wasn't that big of an issue for me personally. It was just a combination of other things such as family sedan style suspension tuning, trans programming, and not the most responsive steering that just made the overall experience feel 'blah'. If you are just looking for a fairly quick family sedan, this hits the mark, but so does a V6 Accord. If you are looking for a sports sedan, this Fusion Sport is not it. It's just not engaging enough overall, at least to me.

Then there is the fake engine sound being piped through the speakers, but I guess many car manufacturers are moving this direction nowadays...

That Fusion is nice, but Geez Louise, 500 pounds of all wheel drive gear, and two tons total ....

If they wanted a sport sedan in the lineup, to me, the obvious solution would be to certify and import some of the RWD Australian cars while they are still in production.

Less of a need to with that AWD system - for example in my old school truck - I turn it off at the beach since it will bog you down. My Explorer AWD is PLC based from test facility and allows some wheel spin based on the mode it is set for.
Of course that 3.5 eB does not need the RPM's to make torque like my old V8 does ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back