How do you log or track your maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I am spoiled with where I work. I have them open a repair order in my service department and bill all the parts to that repair order. That way not only to I have a record of the date, parts used, and miles but if there is an issue the service history is in our system at work.

Both my vehicles have a logbook (actually a cash book) which we write down gas purchases and then any work done. [I sometimes will note tire psi, tire depth, random stuff like that.] It slowly migrates into Excel mostly for mpg and cost tracking. When the vehicle is sold the book might go with it (my last car) or kept (wife kept her Civic book and simply started a new page for her Camry).

We tend to buy boring vehicles, run to highish miles, and usually no one cares about this sort of thing, so I'm not putting any real effort into it.

Receipts get stored with all other receipts in the basement, in case of audit.

I use yahoo mail notepad. I logged everything except for gas purchases. Thinking of moving the log to OneNote so I can have it on the phone at my fingertips. The yahoo mail app on the phone doesn't allow access to yahoo mail notepad.

I have a file cabinet where I keep all kinds of important things (not just car stuff). In the cabinet, I have folders for each of my vehicles. In the folders, I save all receipts for parts bought, and I have a few sheets of notebook paper where I write down the date and mileage of every repair/maintenace item performed, with part numbers for the parts. It's a lot easier to glance at a paper with everything done within the past few years on it, than to sift through pages of receipts. I have one sheet just for oil changes, and another sheet for all other maintenance and repairs.

I have one of those oil change reminder stickers for the windshield that includes oil/transmission/gear oil changes. I use a new one whenever I do any of those items. Coolant I keep in my head.

I've been using the myCarFax app for quite some time on my phone. I enter information into it whenever I do any work to it myself, including oil changes, spark plugs, etc..

Whenever I take the car to Discount Tire for new tires, or a rotation, I add that too.

Any fuel fill-ups get entered in to an app I have on the phone called 'FillUp' which keeps a running log of entries, and also plots the MPG for each fillup, giving me a nice running graph.

While the myCarFax app seems to work pretty well, it does have its shortcomings, and so I've been contemplating moving everything over to a new app called 'aCar' which is apparently affiliated with Fuelly now.

aCar app summary on Google Play Store

In the past I've used a small spiral notebook and would keep it in the glove box for quick reference. I now own a explorer and use myford web site, the dealer will add what they do and I'll add what I have done to it. My wife's Honda I use myHonda web site but have to add all the info myself.

I log all my maintenance history at the Test Forum.
grin2.gif

"my cars" is great, simple, comprehensive and free. Exports to csv files if needed and cloud backups.

Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back