Lawn Boy r8241

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked one of these up for 50$ is this one of the more desirable models?

2-Stroke, blade clutch, self propelled.

One ODDITY
serials for 1984 r8241 start with C00000000

Mine starts with B00000000 which seems to indicate a 1983

So I have a model number(r8241) which indicates 1984
but a serial from 1983? (B00000000)
2016-06-12%2012.18.13.jpg

It was an estate sale apparently it was only used for 1-2 years by elderly lady who then hired a lawn service..
Its pretty mint condition.

Needs a gas cap(split) and a foam air cleaner.

Does anyone have some good info for me on this particular model.

BTW it started very easy on second pull. According to the seller it hadn't been started in at least 10-15 years.

The handle mounted primer is kinda wild.. but works well.

Top Arrow is the handle mounted primer and on/off key
Bottom arrow is the split gas cap temp. repair with a piece of foil.
2016-06-12%2017.19.41.jpg

PS despite the pennzoil tc-w3 in background this got G-oil 2-cycle oil "exceeds api-tc &Jaso FD" @45:1 ie ~.7oz in 32

My memory of these was that they have plain (non-roller) bearings in them and therefore require a lot of oil. I think 32:1 is what was required, but I'd search around a little on the web.

There are no doubt enthusiast forums for everything.

MIne's not this model but is of similar design -- the awkward side discharge gets plugged all the time. Not sure if your will do that, too.

If the engine doesnt run and it's too costly to repair the engine I would definitely put a nice late model 4 stroke on it. Like a Honda GX160 or Kawasaki. That would be cool.

Nice find.

32:1 is the correct mixture.

I've been trying to find a 22240/22260 for a while now. Still no luck.

Enjoy!

I have a fleet of different lawnboys (years and models), and weed eaters (stihl and Echo). I use Amsoil Sabre mixed at a ratio of 50:1 in all of my lawn equipment.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If the engine doesnt run and it's too costly to repair the engine I would definitely put a nice late model 4 stroke on it. Like a Honda GX160 or Kawasaki. That would be cool.

Nice find.

I have thought about this as well but from what I have read online the mounting holes for the engine on the deck do not line up

Yes it started quite easy.. my first mower with a blade clutch.
You aren't spinning a blade with the recoil starter.. so super easy.

The Self propel ROD on the left in that pic. likes to bow out. so a bungy cord is fixing it until I get a couple Fat zip ties on it.
Seems I have a missing air filter retaining clip as well.. its ordered.

Might just use a couple zip ties for now.

I had thought it was ok to use modern 2-cycle oil at 50:1 because its much better than 1984 2 cycle oil.

I have an old stabil container full of 2cycle oil that lets me get easily get within .125oz
and I usually mix 32oz at a time.

I think I'll go 40:1 in it.. same ratio my trimmer requires. and my hitachi blower works fine on as well.

Got about 70$ bucks in it now.. mows like a champ.

Last edited:
40:1 with modern oil should be completely fine. I'm running 50:1 Amsoil Saber in my weed eater for the first gallon, then I will cut it to 80:1. Just running it heavy to get the Amsoil throughout the engine first. Nice mower you got there. My last Lawnboy was my 1995 10201 with the V series engine. Not one of the most desirable Lawnboys, but that noisy V series was an absolute beast!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
MIne's not this model but is of similar design -- the awkward side discharge gets plugged all the time. Not sure if your will do that, too.
All of mine have a stamped steel bar across the bottom of the discharge, it is bolted on and oh so easy to remove. Plugging problem gone.

Rod

Remove blade, remove muffler, check to see if exhaust ports are blocked from poor oil and clean muffler. If all good then put back together. Use good oil and never have another problem.

Primer bulb does not like ethanol gas, and carb plastic body may also have issues where the jets get loose. I had to melt over the end of the threads to retain jets. Buy ethanol free gas. Jacks small engine has primer bulbs.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Remove blade, remove muffler, check to see if exhaust ports are blocked from poor oil and clean muffler. If all good then put back together. Use good oil and never have another problem.

Primer bulb does not like ethanol gas, and carb plastic body may also have issues where the jets get loose. I had to melt over the end of the threads to retain jets. Buy ethanol free gas. Jacks small engine has primer bulbs.

Rod

The primer bulb shouldn't see gas? am I not pumping air?
The primer bulb is up on the handle.
Does it really pump gas 3ft up the handle and back?

No ethanol free gas available. Nearest is 35miles away unless I hit a marina which is extremely inconvenient.
Next time I drive past the E0 self serve@Beaver Petroleum in WACO I'll try to snag a few gallons.

When I sharpen the blade I'll check out the exhaust.

I have been using the G-oil JASO FD 2 cycle oil for a few years with 0 issues. I still have 6 bottles from an amazon screw up.
It goes in the Chainsaw, Line Trimmer,Blower, and toro snowblower.
http://www.getg.com/article.php?id=73
Quote:
-Green Earth Technologies (Pink Sheets: GETG - News) announced today that they have passed the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) FD tests as well as the global standard, ISO-L-EGD for their 2-Cycle G-OIL

Originally Posted By: Rand

No ethanol free gas available. Nearest is 35miles away unless I hit a marina which is extremely inconvenient.

Don't know where you are exactly but Ravenna Oil company has E0 on site if you pass through that way, here is the address 102 East Lake St. Ravenna, OH 44266

Just found out that a Marathon station outside of Canton on Rt. 43 has ethanol free premium. Gonna have to stop there to fill up my gas cans.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
Just found out that a Marathon station outside of Canton on Rt. 43 has ethanol free premium. Gonna have to stop there to fill up my gas cans.

L8R,
Matt

If you're in Tuscarawas Co you can go to the airport and walk onto the flightline to purchase LL100 AV Gas. That's what I use for all my 2-stroke equipment.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Nice find.

You should be shot for making such a suggestion. Replace a two stroke with a four stroke. What's wrong with you??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back