Amsoil oil (AME) or (AMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at switching to Amsoil either (AME) 15w40 HDEO or (AMO) 10w40 Premium Protection in my 6.7 Cummins. I will be able to run CI-4 oil soon after a few more clean out oil changes. I was under the impression the 10W40 would be a bit better for all season (Michigan) usage and it states it's diesel approved. Plan to use Donaldson Endurance Filters ELF7349/DBL7349, looks like with this combo I can run 15,000 mile OCI provided I continue with the Blackstone UOA I send in.

Anyone using CI-4 Amsoil (AMO) in there diesel with good results?

I'd run the 15w40 apr-nov and a 5w40 in the winter.

Ideally you would want a 2 or 3 oci schedule. How many miles do you drive?

I would use Rotella T6. Its excellent oil and easy to obtain. I do not see the need to go through the hassle of ordering Amsoil oil for a motor oil. (I do buy Amsoil ATF, diff oils).

I have Rotella T6 in my 1999 Dodge Ram w/Cummins diesel. I have gone 18K and the oil was good for continued use according to UOA.

Not sure what year or how much pollution stuff you have, but I am hearing for the newer engines, people have to change oil early due to fuel dilution. On my Cummins its changed by iron or soot contamination.

In a UOA for extended OCI, get the TBN done. NAPA or Polaris is cheaper than Blackstone for UOA especially if you want TBN.

Last edited:
I average 17,000 miles a year.

Prior to delete I've been getting good UOA from Blackstone using Bladwin BD7317 dual flow to help capture more junk the emissions were putting in. Ran no more than 7000 OCI with 5w40 or 15w40; Mobil TDT, Val. PBE, T6, or DELO typically what ever was on sale at wally world.

Just running a few more 6K-7K OCI's on to get some more soot out, hope to see less discoloration before I run 10,000 OCI then sample and see what they say. Goal would be 15,000 OCI with good filter.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
Prior to delete I've been getting good UOA from Blackstone using Bladwin BD7317 dual flow to help capture more junk the emissions were putting in. Ran no more than 7000 OCI with 5w40 or 15w40; Mobil TDT, Val. PBE, T6, or DELO typically what ever was on sale at wally world.
If you were having good results with "whatever was on sale at wally world", why the need to change? Since you have deleted, there should be less of most everything in the engine so those oils should serve you even better than before. I like Amsoil gear oil and ATF, but have never seen the need to use the motor oil.

Even without the emissions stuff, I would run CJ-4 oils and then CK-4 when it arrives. I don't see any reason to go backwards in the oil ratings unless you have a bunch of free oil to use up.

The CJ-4 oils aren't just to prevent trouble with emissions equipment but are also claimed to be superior in wear. I'm only going by advertising claims and from talking to the oil company reps at truck shows...have not done my own wear measurements
smile.gif
. Shell particularly, used to really emphasize the improvements in CJ-4 vs CI-4+ oils.

I'm looking forward to the CK-4 oils.

With your truck deleted, I see no need to run AMSoil to get 15,000 miles oil changes. I have run up to 24,000 miles on my 2001 Ram on RT6, backed up by UOA's showing low wear metals and soot.

Running CI-4 seems pointless. The new oils (CJ-4 and soon to be CK-4) are superior to it in every way. I'm surprised Amsoil still carries CI-4 rated oils, for what purpose? Pretty sure your 6.7 is required to run on a CJ-4 rated oil anyway. I wouldn't risk running CI-4 in something unless it was older. For instance, I could safely run it in my Ford because it's a 1997 which was before CI-4's time. I believe CG-4 was the rating when my truck was new!

My Powerstroke is thriving on T6, it loves that 5w especially in the winter, can't ever turn back to 15w-40 after using a 5w-40 syn, it even runs a few degrees cooler towing and on hot days. I'd go with something like that that's easier to find since diesels typically need to have oil added now and then throughout the OCI. That's the reason I don't run Amsoil in my truck is because she leaks and burns a little so having to hunt for Amsoil when I need to add would get annoying fast.
I've enjoyed the XL in my Tacoma, but haven't noticed much of a difference with it over PP so I will probably just switch back to that when it comes time to change again. I think it's best to stick to gear oils when it comes to Amsoil, those are hard to beat from what I understand.

After doing more research I've been looking at staying with off the shelf 15w40 summer oil now and 5w40 winter oil. Seems to be more value in staying with the stuff readily available at Walmart between $13-$19 a gallon. As well as more sense to just stay with 10,000 OCI with Chevron, Mobil, Valvoline, or Rotella products. I Found I can get Delo 400LE 5W40 synthetic for $17.96 a gallon and Delo 400LE 15W40 for $12.96 a gallon all day long and even cheaper on roll back sales.

While I have no problem with the AME in general, it is a product that has outlived anything useful. The spec is outdated and pricing just isn't cost effective. I often wonder also why Amsoil even continues to put it out. The Delo vids are interesting, but I got some poor results with both LE 15w40 and their 5w40 synthetic. But it wasn't a Cummins either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back