thinking of going back to non GDI 10-12 fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a 13 focus but drive local and not much on road anymore, would lose some gas millage but would not have to deal with the whole gdi thing. did not understand the gdi when i bought the focus. this may sound stupid, but would like thoughts one way or other. i am 65 and this most likely the last car i will own. was thinking of cost more then anything. thanks for any help.

Hanging around the Focus forums I have yet to see a single instance of any problems relating to GDI. And UOAs here show that this particular GDI application doesn't suffer from fuel dilution of engine oil, either.

I wouldn't worry about the GDI. Now if you have the dual clutch tranmssion in your Focus that's another story...

I'm not sure what the problem is with GDI, especially in this particular instance. Care to elaborate? I've never heard of any engine issues with the 2.0L GDI Focus, of any sort. Not even fuel dilution. The only issues people run into with the Focus is the problematic clutches in the "automatic" transmission.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I wouldn't worry about the GDI. Now if you have the dual clutch tranmssion in your Focus that's another story...

This x 1000! GDI wouldn't concern me in the slightest, but that ticking timebomb DCT gearbox sure would!

The '10-'12 Fusions use the 6F35 automatic transmission, which has the potential for far more problems than any GDI system. Unless you get a manual, or a Fusion Sport, as that has an Aisin unit.

I'd say you are far less likely to have problems with the GDI system (and actually, catastrophic problems with the DCT) than the absolutely awful 6F35 transmission in the fusion. My roommate has been through two in his 2008 Escape in 60k miles.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'd say you are far less likely to have problems with the GDI system (and actually, catastrophic problems with the DCT) than the absolutely awful 6F35 transmission in the fusion. My roommate has been through two in his 2008 Escape in 60k miles.

I had my SECOND REBUILD at 55,000 miles!
crazy2.gif

+1 my dads 08 escape and moms 10 fusion are not the smoothest shifting transmissions. motors are good and strong tho. the old ax4n my moms old 06 taurus was smoother than in the escape and fusion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

crazy2.gif

And the reason you still have the car is?

crazy2.gif

Is the 6F55 trans that they're putting into the new Fusion Sport equally as bad? Just curious...

The issues with the DCT in the focus aren't really catastophic failure, they are just shuddering and stuff. I haven't really heard of any catastophic failure stories.

Geez, sounds like the OP's heard GDI being bad-mouthed on talk radio or something!

Nothing wrong with your GDI engine.

Buying and selling a car is a great way to lose money. You're concerned with costs, stick to the one you got! Take it on highway drive for a far away lunch once a month or something.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

crazy2.gif

Is the 6F55 trans that they're putting into the new Fusion Sport equally as bad? Just curious...

No, that's been in service for awhile and has been pretty solid. Even the newer 6F35 units have been pretty trouble-free. The problems seemed to diminish when they added the "selectshift" thingy in the 2013 MY.

To answer Nick's question as to why I still have the car... It's paid for and all repairs thus far were completely free under the recently-ended 5/60 warranty. I've thought about getting rid of it; we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, we really like the car. Plus I have a dedicated winter tire/wheel set
smile.gif

1 reason is all i read on here carbon build up and have a cleaning service done ever so many miles which is 140.00 a shot at ford. thanks for the info on fusion trans. they up my trans waranty to 100000 the funky focus tranny seems pretty good now after reboot. the other thing is there is a good bit of soot in tail pipe. the worry was spending so much on maint. on S.S. now and money is a lot shorter . my head is sore now, thinks i will stay with the focus. THANKS everyone.

Originally Posted By: wmor51
1 reason is all i read on here carbon build up and have a cleaning service done ever so many miles which is 140.00 a shot at ford. thanks for the info on fusion trans. they up my trans waranty to 100000 the funky focus tranny seems pretty good now after reboot. the other thing is there is a good bit of soot in tail pipe. the worry was spending so much on maint. on S.S. now and money is a lot shorter . my head is sore now, thinks i will stay with the focus. THANKS everyone.

I mean my 2013 Focus has 72000 miles on it and after the trans was fixed (well, we'll see now after I get a used trans as part of the accident repair) the engine has been picture perfect, no loss of power, no indications of any problems. And I haven't heard of any other focus owners having to do that. It really does seem like most of those problems have been hammered out in DI engines.

The issues with the DCT in the focus aren't really catastophic failure, they are just shuddering and stuff. I haven't really heard of any catastophic failure stories.

Well, there are quite a few common failure modes. The clutch can shudder, of course, but it can also become virtually undriveable pending clutch replacement. Then there's the transmission control module (a really expensive bit that changes gears) that is also prone to premature failure and can easily strand the car.

These aren't uncommon problems as Ford has extended warranties on both components. Depends on your definition of "catastrophic", I guess, but being on my third clutch pack in 40,000 miles, the car will be gone when the extended warranties expire.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No. Currently at 100k (soon to be 101k) on the "first generation" 6f55 in the SHO and it still shifts and drives great. I do change the fluid every 30k though.

And I will say other than a slow R-D engagement when cold there are no issues with the 6f35 in the wife's 16 Escape. I'd not fear it now.

That's about one of the worst reasons to go out and get another car.

GDI, CVT, it's all newer technology which is a phobia here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back