lube for bike parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my kids some new bikes. Owner's manual for one says to lube certain parts every 6 months, with "a light machine oil (20W)." Couldn't find 20W at local walmart today.

What lube would be ok with for a bike? I think I recall seeing a straight 30w oil in the shelves. I don't imagine that this would be that different than 20w...

Or would the bikes be just fine with a drop or two of whatever 5qt jug 5w30 that has been opened already?

Plethora of bike-specific lubes and oil out there. One of my go-to's is Triflow as well as Boeshield T9.

But like Wheel said, ATF really does a pretty good job as well. The key to any "wet oil" type of lube is sparing application. I've found the little plastic squeeze bottles with blunt needle tips (they sell them for e-cig liquids) work perfect as oil bottles.

If you can find any of the Dupont non-stick dry teflon lube in a drip bottle, I love using that on derraileur pivots and cables. Works good on chains, but short lived.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Plethora of bike-specific lubes and oil out there. One of my go-to's is Triflow as well as Boeshield T9.

But like Wheel said, ATF really does a pretty good job as well. The key to any "wet oil" type of lube is sparing application. I've found the little plastic squeeze bottles with blunt needle tips (they sell them for e-cig liquids) work perfect as oil bottles.

If you can find any of the Dupont non-stick dry teflon lube in a drip bottle, I love using that on derraileur pivots and cables. Works good on chains, but short lived.

I use bike specific. Works well and pretty cheap given it'll work for hundreds of applications. As other have said less messy and annoying. Doesn't collect dirt as easily, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back