Dodge Challenger 6.4 Scat Pack rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Justin251
I wouldn't put the 40 weight in the ram hemi though. If it's a 1500 then it had mds. Some have issues with 30 weight messing with the mds. Some don't. Pretty sure 40 weight would throw a code.

Not that it would actually damage anything. Just cause a CEL for the mds not operating properly.

Comically, the 6.4L has MDS too.

Not if it's got the Manual Trans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rationull
I think some of you are piling too hard on Hal with the whole "it's only $75 twice a year for an expensive car" argument. Just because it's not that much money and he can probably afford it doesn't make a 6 month OCI requirement with high end syn any less ridiculous. It's not always about saving money -- there's the time spent and the waste of oil too.

Reusing the barely used oil in another vehicle sounds like a good plan to me though!

Funny you bring up waste. To some, including me, buying a high performance car and then parking it is a waste too.
This is an open forum and OP felt so strongly about his perceived issue that he started a thread about it. It is only natural that he will get all sorts of responses, some of which he might not like.

I wouldn't put the 40 weight in the ram hemi though. If it's a 1500 then it had mds. Some have issues with 30 weight messing with the mds. Some don't. Pretty sure 40 weight would throw a code.

Not that it would actually damage anything. Just cause a CEL for the mds not operating properly.

People have been raving about oil weight versus MDS performance since 04. MDS functions just fine with almost any weight of oil. 20, 30, 40, never misses a beat. Since every new gen Hemi except the 6.1 is spec'd for 20, 30, or 40 by application you can imagine it isn't really a problem.

Actually Chrysler's system has been shown to be rather robust and reliable for most. Just ask the folks like Overkill with that monster 6.4...

I'm sure it would be fine as well. It's just so prevalent on the ram forums that I thought it was worth mentioning.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

Not if it's got the Manual Trans.

True. I have the Mercedes NAG-1 auto, and have MDS. I believe the same (no MDS with a stick) is across the board and not specific to a given displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back