Need a new TV-school me on the latest tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally ready to replace my 11 yo Pioneer Elite 50" plasma, which was the best TV on the market in 2005. I won't mention what I paid for it. Here's where I'm at after some initial research.

+I read that OLED is the best tech but maybe not ready for prime time. I do not want to pay $5K for a TV this time around.
+I want a 60-65" FLAT LED (no curved) with the best picture possible. This is a 10 yr purchase. I don't want any regrets.
+Current front runner is Samsung 8000 series 4K SUHD. Discounted price is $2K. Comments on this TV or equal?
+ Don't care about sound, have home theatre.

What else?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Make sure your next TV has all the plug-ins you need, plus room for more. To me, that's more important than having the best picture.

Well, samsung is the leader in this; in that the connections box are actually separate from the "monitor", so "theoretically" if there is a future technology, they could provide an upgrade of just the box and not the monitor. BUt to be honest, by then you'll want the next new holographic tv or whatever it's going to be.

Additionally if you really have that many A/V devices, you're invested into home theater, so by then you SHOULD have a soundbar or receiver to give you even more inputs. Even though the sound on the TV is OK, it's not as full as a real system.

so yea, ks8000 or ks9000 is a fine choice.

If you just want it narrowed down, just go with the top picks list...

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/65-inch/best
http://4k.com/tv/

Other things to note:

All these new tvs are Smart TVs and Internet enabled. If you want to have it fully capable, you should prepare to have an ethernet cord to connect it to the web; and explore the smart capabilities.
At a minimum you should try to connect it so it can download an software update.

Set your expectations, even though it will look great, relatively speaking it's a cheaper tv. Mass manufacturing these days means some corners are cut, and things are slightly disposable. even though you are getting a lot of bang for your buck. So be prepared to live with a few quirks here and there such as maybe that plastic bezel is a little askew and not 100% flush; or that corner has a very minor hot LED light leakage, even though only you can see in black loading screens. But that's what you get for a $2000 tv instead of a $5000 or $10,000 one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
The Vizio P-series is garnering excellent reviews...

This. Right here. Head over to avsforum.com and read up. The Vizio P series is one awesome set and should future-proof you for years to come. If I were replacing our main set that would be the one, no questions asked. The Full Array Local Dimming backlight is superior to the edge lighting of the Samsung 8500.

I've been very impressed with Vizio as of late. We got a 32" D series for the camper and it has an awesome picture. Got another Vizio 40" E-series for the bedroom with the Google Cast and I think it has a better picture than our Samsung 5 series Plasma.

Last edited:
to be honest.... as long as your 50 pioneer has HDMI and 1080p capability.... anything on market today isn't going to be an upgrade other than in screen size....

you said you have home theater.... if you want to upgrade now focus on your receiver and your speakers/sub

the TV is just a glorified monitor. all u need is one HDMI input.

I do not think plasma technology has been surpassed yet by anything reasonably priced.

I would just wait for OLED to come down in price. Save your pennies for now.

check out AVS HERE

Last edited:
2K for a TV? I just bought a 55inch LG smart tv that has 4K video for $515. This is 1999. Tvs dont cost a but ton any more. Go look at Walmart. Ive seen the same TV for the same deal at 2 different walmarts.

They just installed one of these in the break room at my place of employment:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN85JU7100FXZA

The thing is just hooked up to a standard cable box so no real UHD/4k programming to take advantage of but it does have the cool remote hub box. The higher refresh rate makes even standard HD programming look strangely lifelike. Then again, this is an 85" $7k+ TV.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
The higher refresh rate makes even standard HD programming look strangely lifelike. Then again, this is an 85" $7k+ TV.

That Soap Opera Effect drives me nuts. I don't know I'd call it lifelike though.

Keep in mind that your Pioneer Plasma can be viewed from all angles. The majority of LED sets pictures' deteriorate drastically as you get more off center. Make sure that is acceptable for your seating/viewing area.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
The higher refresh rate makes even standard HD programming look strangely lifelike. Then again, this is an 85" $7k+ TV.

That Soap Opera Effect drives me nuts. I don't know I'd call it lifelike though.

Ah ha! That explains it better than I did. I've always thought soap operas looked like they were filmed in a different way.

They just installed one of these in the break room at my place of employment:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN85JU7100FXZA

The thing is just hooked up to a standard cable box so no real UHD/4k programming to take advantage of but it does have the cool remote hub box. The higher refresh rate makes even standard HD programming look strangely lifelike. Then again, this is an 85" $7k+ TV.

You didn't set this up right but was installed at your work right?
Part of what you are seeing is they likely have it it on the out-of-the box default mode to sell units.

Even just switching it to "Movie" mode and reducing the brightness a couple ticks will remove some of the artificialness that you are talking about.
This is like 2seconds of tweaking, not like in-depth calibration and tweaking.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Also keep in mind that depreciation on a TV is worse than a new car...

I bought a great 32 inch from a Pawn shop. Wanted one for my home office. Works beautifully. $80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back