Mobil 1 10W40 HM in diesel applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be anything wrong with trying Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage in an older diesel application? Particularly, a 1997 Ford Powerstroke 7.3 DI turbo. A friend of mine told me that he would give me some of his leftover 5 QT jugs from when he owned a Volvo. I know that the M1 carries an API CF certification. The truck has a few leaks, around the oil pan, and either the turbo pedestal or the rear main seal, I haven't had time to chase it down. The truck just lost one quart of oil in about 1,500 miles and 3 months into the OCI. I don't think it's too severe, what do you guys think? If I can use the M1 HM, could it help with the leaks, or could it hurt? I have used HM oil with success in the past with gassers that burnt some oil, but never had a diesel before (although I used to drive an International 4300 w/ the DT466 and an Interntaional 4700 with the DT360 for work), or a leaker. Current fill is the new Valoline Maxlife 15w40. Thanks!

You want to try waste reduction? Ok, what you OM calls? But, For a short drain, like 5k miles, yes you could. I see problem with excess soot falling out of suspension and eventually collecting, in longer intervals vsince its a pre CI/CJ at least in paper.

The CF is a pretty antiquated rating so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it.

BUT: I'm not convinced it's a bad idea. I have a vehicle (gas) I used HDEO in for some ring issues. I am now using M1 10w-40 HM an it's doing MUCH better on that than any conventional HDEO I tried in the past (Delvac and Rotella). M1 10w-40 HM and M1 TDT seem very close on paper and I'd be tempted to use the M1. I might use the TDT then use the HM as top-up during the OCI.

9d1FyDs.png

dkH2xh7.png

P.S. - To give you an idea of how far oils have come, any of the low-cost 15w-40's (Delo, Delvac, Rotella, etc.) meet Volvo VDS-4:
NqHvXNl.png

Given their low price point and superior performance, they'd definitely be my pick for a HEUI/HPOP T444E.

The biggest problem would be if the oil has high enough levels of anti foaming additives for the Heui Powerstroke. It will not kill the engine.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The biggest problem would be if the oil has high enough levels of anti foaming additives for the Heui Powerstroke. It will not kill the engine.

ASTM D6894 was first included with CG-4 in 1995. Think it's merely coincidence that's what they're calling for above?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
M1 HM 10w40 holds the ACEA B3 spec for light-duty diesel usage...

And? CEC L-78-T-99 is part of A3/B3, but I'm willing to bet that's not what goes into your TDI, is it?

Specifically, what part of B3 requirements do you feel correlates to solid performance in the engine we're discussing here?

It is CF in paper. Come on, it's a Mobil 1, fully synthetic oil, with higher ZDDP and detergents. Soot, deposits, corrosion protection, thickening performance worst than a cheapo dino?

That's a classic example of an oil that really supersedes its rating. They just didn't homologe as CJ4, but, maybe it could pass with flying colors.
Where's the M1 crowd?
I don't see any problem with a short oci.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, gents. I should add that I would run the M1 10w40 HM from late fall until early spring. Truck will see probably 8-10k a year, and I plan on 2 oil changes a year. It is one of the trucks I use for my landscape business. It's the heavy puller for pavers, sod, etc., and I use an F150 for lawn mowers and other small stuff. Besides, the F250 has a ZF5 manual, and sometimes I get tired of shifting, and op for the auto in the F150
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Valvoline MaxLife HDEO in 15W-40 is now being sold at Walmart.

Use that. I wouldn't trust a gas oriented oil in a diesel. Diesel/heavy duty engine oils have tons more detergents & additives to hold up to the abuse of a diesel engine. Not worth the risk IMO.

Always use diesel rated oils. Unless you don't care about the engine it would be fine. Diesel and gas engine oils are completely different.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Always use diesel rated oils. Unless you don't care about the engine it would be fine. Diesel and gas engine oils are completely different.

As pointed out, this oil is diesel rated; it carries an ACEA light duty car/truck diesel approval. And to me ACEA ratings are valuable.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
As pointed out, this oil is diesel rated; it carries an ACEA light duty car/truck diesel approval. And to me ACEA ratings are valuable.

Specifically, what part of B3 requirements do you think correlates to solid performance in the engine we're discussing here?

Really? Your "burden of proof" fallacy isn't going to cut it. You've made the claim. Back it up.

Ford has explicitly stated to use CG-4/SH. You've said that Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 is:

"diesel rated"
"carries an ACEA light duty car/truck diesel approval"
"and to me ACEA ratings are valuable."

Neither Ford, nor Navistar for that matter, have ever approved an ACEA B3 product for usage in these engines; if you're going to say that it's alright to do so, I'll once again ask:

Specifically, what part of B3 requirements do you think correlates to solid performance in the engine we're discussing here?

I'd put it this way. If I were backed into a corner and were stuck with a CF only lube, I'd use the 10w-40. The Powerstroke doesn't have long OCIs, and the M1 10w-40 is probably pretty close in a lot of respects. However, I don't see the advantage to it, given the cost and sump size and also considering the short OCIs that went with the Powerstrokes of the day.

I'd try the high mileage HDEO is already mentioned, or keep topping up. I can't see M1 10w-40 being a better bargain than a 5 gallon pail of 15w-40, even if the 10w-40 did address the oil loss better than the 15w-40.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Really? Your "burden of proof" fallacy isn't going to cut it. You've made the claim. Back it up.

Your'e agitated frothing aside, I'll point you here:

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/2012_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

I simply can't find what you object to. Because a manufacturer hasn't paid to license a spec outside their market does not mean it's going to harm the motor. Reasonabe care needs to be exercised of course. In this case, the specs can be reviewed fully and no fear mongering and blathering can erase the information.

I simply can't find what you object to.

You. Someone who makes out-of-spec recommendations, won't support it with any data/evidence, and just pulls lame argumentative fallacies, defers, and obfuscates.

Because a manufacturer hasn't paid to license a spec outside their market does not mean it's going to harm the motor.

Oh, so now it's your position that Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 would meet the minimum CG-4 performance requirements...it's just that they haven't tested it?

In this case, the specs can be reviewed fully and no fear mongering and blathering can erase the information.

The info is right there. If you actually understand what you're looking at, and aren't just making baseless recommendations, please guide us to what part of B3 requirements you think correlates to solid performance in the engine we're discussing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back