Pontiac G8 GT sway bar upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to upgrade the rear sway bar on my '09 Pontiac G8 GT from the stock 18mm (FE2) bar to the 20mm (FE3) bar. While I was at it I decided to replace the sway bar links with Moogs.

Here's a side by side of the rear links; stock (l) Moog (r):

20uojn5.jpg

The stock links are sealed, are cadmium plated and have a smaller diameter shaft so the Moog replacement is a nice upgrade.

Here it is installed (passenger side):
qsnt3t.jpg

While I was at it I figured I'd upgrade the front bar links (FE2 and FE3 front sway bars are the same in G8s).

Here's a side by side of the front links; Moog (l) stock (r):
5y85nb.jpg

Here it is installed (driver's side):
301m52r.jpg

The rears were a PITA because of the tight quarters and the control arm's "U" shaped brackets (very tight to get a wrench in there).

All in all a very satisfying project; just gonna get some zerk caps to finish the job. Took the car out for a ride... no clunks yay!!!

Next upgrade: Camaro deep trans pan...

Last edited:
Interesting. I will have to take a look at the ones on my Caprice.

How many quarts of oil is a change in your car?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

How many quarts of oil is a change in your car?

Right at 9 qts (I'm using a PF63 oil filter instead of the PF48).

Yep a bit pricey for sure but they are adjustable. The Moog is definitely thicker and better than stock but its nice to be able to tune them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yep a bit pricey for sure but they are adjustable. The Moog is definitely thicker and better than stock but its nice to be able to tune them.

True... I also looked at the BMR rear bar with its 3 attaching points for adjustability but the stock GXP (FE3) 20mm bar is ~50% stiffer than the 18mm bar so that's about as much of a sway bar stiffness increase as I'll need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back