i'm done with Purolator filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
i tried to change engine air filter in my RAV4 (V6) and the spanking new filter bought several months ago doesn't seem to fit no matter what i try. i put the old one in and it fits like a glove. the old one was also Purolator, but older design and made in Thailand. the new one is made in Korea.

i double checked the part number on the box and the filter itself and it's the same. the shape is same too. But the height is different, new one is several mm taller. The new gasket is thicker too.

IMG_20160612_175446757_zpsp2bdmnti.jpg

there is something seriously wrong with the company that can't figure out simple dimensions and clearance issues. my previous issue with air filter was Fram (long time ago), the rubber gasket rotted in 30,000 miles. now, purolator is no go for me.

Edit: looks like i'm not alone with this problem based on some other threads, but different application.

Last edited:
For your application I would consider using the Denso FTF filter line. You can get them from RockAuto for a very low price and at least for Toyota/Lexus applications, they are almost identical to the dealer filter.

I experienced similar issues in my 2010 F150 using MC filters (made by Purolator). They fit much looser than WIX/NAPA Gold filters and my silicon dropped using them.

Same issue with our Lexus (I tried both Fram and Purolator). The plastic pleats make it so the air filter box won't close. I messed with it for about 30 minutes and finally gave up. It took me about five minutes with the Denso filter.

I was done with Purolator two years ago when I had an ADBV fail and my car sounded like a can of marbles on cold start.

Screwed on a Napa Gold and it was quiet as can be ...

A Purolator and Fram air filter wouldn't fit in my 08 Liberty, I had to buy a Mopar filter. The difference in the length of the filter was about an 1/8" longer making closing the air box impossible unless I forced it to close.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
For your application I would consider using the Denso FTF filter line. You can get them from RockAuto for a very low price and at least for Toyota/Lexus applications, they are almost identical to the dealer filter.

I've always been a fan of that line too.

I had it in Volvo, it fits the box well. The cabin filter is very good too.

The FTF line is NOT the same as OE quality Denso. They are all Chinese. Try Wix next time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The FTF line is NOT the same as OE quality Denso. They are all Chinese. Try Wix next time
smile.gif

It depends. In my experience, their figments for Toyota/Lexus are pretty much the same as OE. For Nissan, you are correct - they are closer to a generic aftermarket replacement.

The C.O.O. does not seem to be an issue with Denso products.

I just used a Purolator engine air filter and cabin air filter in the Hyundai listed in my sig. Both filters fit perfectly and seemed as well constructed as the OEM parts they replaced. Purolator seems to be hit or miss, depending on the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back