2002 Toyota Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this Sequoia brand new in 2003. It currently has 149,200 miles on it. I was looking at a thread on here about what oil to use for a Sequoia and the chart showing 5W20 as acceptable was posted. Then someone else said it was for Canada only. That got me to go look at all the service records and here is a list of the oils that have been in this engine-
Toyota dealer in Rockingham, NC
Castrol 10W30

Toyota dealer in Ansbach, Germany
Toyota 10W40

BMW dealer in Ansbach, Germany
10W40

Valvoline quick lube
Valvoline 5W30

Jiffy Lube
Shell Formula 5W30

Toyota Dealer Killeen, TX
Toyota bulk 5W20

Toyota Dealer Temple, TX
Toyota bulk 5W20

I've always gone with 5,000 mile OCI. It has never used any oil and it is like new when changed. It seems to run very clean. I've never done a UOA on this Sequoia, but I will soon.

I'll be doing my own oil changes from now on and I'd like to use a Mobil 1 or other Mobil product in 5W30. It is not driven much anymore. Maybe 10,000 miles per year. Most of the time the trips are less than 10 or 15 miles. However, I do use it to tow our 29' 6,500lb Airstream when the whole family goes camping and we need more seats than my '14 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel has.

What are the advantages of the M1 High Mileage over the regular M1?

OT:did you change the timing belt.

I use M1 5W30 EP in the 2002 V8 Tundra I maintain. No reason for a HM oil IMHO. Usually HM oils have extra seal conditioners.

The one I maintain does 10K OCI with no drop in oil level @ >200K miles.

Last edited:
Yes. The timing belt, water pump, seals etc were changed on schedule.

If I added up all the service records and repairs it would probably shock most people.

Originally Posted By: pb379

If I added up all the service records and repairs it would probably shock most people.

good or bad?

As stated above, it has never used any oil. It doesn't leak oil either.

Why EP? Isn't that a 15,000 mile oil?

I plan to change once a year or 8,000 miles if UOA shows all is OK.

Last edited:
My '03 has been on a steady diet of M1 5-30 and PP 5-30 since about 3000 miles. almost 130k on it now and doesn't burn/use any at 7500k / 1 year changes.

I haven't looked in a long time but I think 6500lbs is over the towing capacity, never mind loaded with people and gear. Be careful.

I haven't done UOA in a while but 7500mile reports came back saying I could go 10,000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
My '03 has been on a steady diet of M1 5-30 and PP 5-30 since about 3000 miles. almost 130k on it now and doesn't burn/use any at 7500k / 1 year changes.

I haven't looked in a long time but I think 6500lbs is over the towing capacity, never mind loaded with people and gear. Be careful.

I haven't done UOA in a while but 7500mile reports came back saying I could go 10,000.

Thanks for the oil advice on the M1 and PP.

Thanks for the towing caution. I wasn't soliciting BITOG for towing advice. Yeah, it is a lot for the Sequoia to tow. But, would you believe I've towed that Airstream about 23,000 miles with the this Sequoia?

As stated above, it has never used any oil. It doesn't leak oil either.

Why EP? Isn't that a 15,000 mile oil?

I plan to change once a year or 8,000 miles if UOA shows all is OK.

It is not longevity of oil (which is questionable whether it can do 15K, it might, but I would do UOA), but base oil and additives. You can use Mobil1 5W30 non-EP version. I used hat in my Mazda and my wife's Nissan Sentra, and it worked perfectly.
Mobil1 5W30 EP or non-EP, you will not make a mistake.

Thanks edyvw.

NAPA has their sale going on for M1, so I thought I might stock up on it.

The EP is an extra fifty cents. I guess it is probably worth the added cost.

My HM Toyota and Lexus cars/1 truck have done well with M1 HM. I had an LC with that same power train as in your Seq. for years. I used it for towing a 5,500lb 2-horse rig quite a bit, and in mountains. The towing ratings were crazy conservative compared to US vehicles, AND Toyota uniquely lowered for US specs, btw. Check the same rig's overseas ratings and it's 2k or more higher. Odd. Not that this is an issue to you, but so others understand. Anyway...

I would use the M1 10w-30 HM. Texas is plenty warm that you can use a stouter base oil instead of lighter 5w. The Xw-30 HM variants are SL rated with higher doses of ZDDP anti-wear. The HTHS is higher than regular or EP, and I'd want that for towing as well as the heavier anti-wear additives. Given how you use your truck, this makes more sense to me than trying to fit a SN oil that trades wear protection for mileage in its composition.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

good or bad?

Good. I helped the local economy with all the thousands of dollars spent on maintaining and repairing this Sequoia.

Thanks Sequoiasoon.

I've been a member of tundrasolutions for a long while. Lots of good information, for sure.

I've had all the same problems as everyone else with a Sequoia. [censored] brakes that always seem to warp rotors seem to be my biggest pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back