Valvoline All Climate vs VR1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

I was pretty much sure i was going to use VR1 20w50 for my next oil change but i've found "All climate" 20w50, it's much cheaper at 18.96 Euro versus VR1 which wouls cost me 33 ,for the price do you think it's worth it vs VR1?

VR1 20W-50 is a "premium mineral" oil that is APi SL and ACEA A3/B4, with a TBN of 12.0

All Climate 20W-50 is for "the cost-conscious motorist" is API SG and has a TBN of 6.3

I would pay extra for the VR1, you look to be getting a lot more oil for your dollar (Euro).

I believe regular VR1 is a GII/GIII oil and likely contains less VII.

I'm not sure All Climate 20W50 is even all GII.
In the US the budget 20W50 of choice tends to be Castrol GTX. I'm not sure how that's labeled in Europe but it's not a VR1 substitute.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

I'm not sure All Climate 20W50 is even all GII.

That would be my concern, they economy of production may be due to Group I content. I don't know, but I wouldn't trust it without knowing more.

Originally Posted By: SR5
All Climate 20W-50 is for "the cost-conscious motorist" is API SG and has a TBN of 6.3

Cost conscious motorist ? Who said that ? Did Valvoline say that ?

Looking into it more (thanks Merk) that is probably an old spec sheet (thanks google).

This is the newer one
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/5185.pdf

OK, it doesn't look too bad now, it's API SL & ACEA A3/B3 with a TBN of 10. No mention of ZDDP. This is probably an OK oil for a motor that has regular cams.

Choice is yours FCD. Sounds better than the HX3 (?) you were running.

Originally Posted By: SR5
What does VR1 cost at O'R ?

Right now it's on sale for $4.99 per quart or $24.95 for a 5 quart jug.

But that does not do the OP any good in Spain... Although I'll be picking some up on the way home from Pop's this afternoon
smile.gif

That Capri has about a zillion miles on it. It burns some oil (I think...) and looses some past the valve guides.

So, I'd be looking at any good 20W-50 that is affordable. That motor does not need VR-1. It needs good clean oil and top-ups. All Season should be fine for a motor so well "broken in"
laugh.gif

Ok so VR1 it is.
I wonder why valvoline has so many 20w50's they have:
VR1
MaxLife
Classic XLD
All Fleet HD Turbo diesel
All Climate
Dura Blend
Premium conventional
CNG Special?
I'm interested in the All fleet aswell since it looks to be a HDEO, doesn't look to be very available in Europe though

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
But that does not do the OP any good in Spain... Although I'll be picking some up on the way home from Pop's this afternoon
smile.gif

That Capri has about a zillion miles on it. It burns some oil (I think...) and looses some past the valve guides.

So, I'd be looking at any good 20W-50 that is affordable. That motor does not need VR-1. It needs good clean oil and top-ups. All Season should be fine for a motor so well "broken in"
laugh.gif

Yeah i think the ZDDP hysteria that i had before is kind of gone but i'm still interested in VR1 as in the European Ford scene it looks like everybody is using it and i don't want to fall behind you know?
smile.gif
and with VR1 i can find many UOA's and VOA's unlike the Shell Hx3 i am using currently for which i can't find any VOA or UOA's and i the only thing i know about the additive package is the zddp which is apparently about 1200ppm but nothing else

I dunno if Maxlife is avaiable over there? But, it's the go-to oil for less than ground pounder engines with big cams. Anything OEM or mildly hopped up can easily run Maxlife (red bottle) and be happy for ever
smile.gif

It's known as VR-1 jr around here as it has a robust add-pak, just not quite as much ZDDP
laugh.gif

Bummer... Oh well. Me, I'd run Castrol GTX 20W-50 in that engine if it is cheap enough? It is over here...

Just find the cheapest 20W-50 that has real approvals and your friends know about it. We can't get Luk-Oil or Ravenol or a whole bunch of stuff you can. So do some homework on price and availability and go from there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Ok so VR1 it is.
I wonder why valvoline has so many 20w50's they have:
VR1
MaxLife
Classic XLD
All Fleet HD Turbo diesel
All Climate
Dura Blend
Premium conventional
CNG Special?
I'm interested in the All fleet aswell since it looks to be a HDEO, doesn't look to be very available in Europe though

You forgot 20w50 turbo.... that's about 2.99 per litre here.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You prolly want to read this thread and the attached article. Seems that the Euro refiners are not all that good at hitting their cold flow pour points. Better than the Chinese, but not real great as far as I can see...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...er_the_c#UNREAD

I'd be looking for oils that are well favored by the Scandinavians as working well in winter and summer...

I would guess that the great majority of those oils are sold in eastern europe and the balkans, i'm not worried about that really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back