EXtension Ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.
left out, what do you all think of these multi function ladders or stick with the traditional.
The former does take up less space.

I've had one of those 22' ladders for a few years and it's a fine ladder. It's never collapsed on me and gets me to heights I want to go. It's not overly heavy. That's about all you can say about a ladder, I guess.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
I am looking at a 20-24 foot aluminum ladder. So far I have looked at the Werner.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-22-ft-Alu...Ladder/50441826

Very similar to the Little Giant.

The other is this,
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-24-ft-Aluminum-225-lb-Type-II-Extension-Ladder/1115317

I would not get a Type-II ladder. At the very least I'd get a Type 1A contractor grade ladder rated at 300 lbs. They're a little heavier, but a lot stronger.

The top ladder is more versatile, stronger, and a lot heavier. However it is not an apples to apples comparison.

I am looking at a 20-24 foot aluminum ladder. So far I have looked at the Werner.

The other is this,
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-24-ft-Aluminum-225-lb-Type-II-Extension-Ladder/1115317

Go find the thread in the tool sub-forum from the guy who bought the cheapest made-in-China ladder he could find, and then had it collapse while he was using it. That should help you decide to purchase the highest quality, best rated ladder available.

As a professional who has used ladders for over 35 years. Fit the tool to the job, if you need an extension ladder for the bulk of the work get a good one. Type-1A is fine. If you're going to be working in stairways and need a ladder for that chore buy a multi-purpose ladder. I would not buy a multi-purpose ladder with the intent of using it as an extension ladder. The steps are uncomfortable, and moving it around is a PITA it's heavy.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

The other is this,

Go find the thread in the tool sub-forum from the guy who bought the cheapest made-in-China ladder he could find, and then had it collapse while he was using it. That should help you decide to purchase the highest quality, best rated ladder available.

Not exactly how I would characterize a Werner-Brand type I ladder(250# rating)

but I certainly agree I would not buy anything less than type IA

The multi ladders are much heavier but as long as you arent using it daily for work its much more versatile and easy to transport if needed.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As a professional who has used ladders for over 35 years. Fit the tool to the job, if you need an extension ladder for the bulk of the work get a good one. Type-1A is fine. If you're going to be working in stairways and need a ladder for that chore buy a multi-purpose ladder. I would not buy a multi-purpose ladder with the intent of using it as an extension ladder. The steps are uncomfortable, and moving it around is a PITA it's heavy.

Thats good advice. I was thinking of using as a extension ladder. Now, what is the difference between Type-1A and the Type 2??

I am 6-3 and 250.

Thats good advice. I was thinking of using as a extension ladder. Now, what is the difference between Type-1A and the Type 2??

I am 6-3 and 250.

Type 1A is rated at 300lbs, commercial grade ladder for heavy duty use. Type-II is rated at 225lbs. for light duty work, imo it's an accident waiting to happen. You're a big guy get a Type-1A ladder.

They also make a Type-1AA which is rated at 375 lbs. I haven't seen many of them around. Most contractors use the 1A.

Last edited:

I am 6-3 and 250.

Type 1A is rated at 300lbs, commercial grade ladder for heavy duty use. Type-II is rated at 225lbs. for light duty work, imo it's an accident waiting to happen. You're a big guy get a Type-1A ladder.

They also make a Type-1AA which is rated at 375 lbs. I haven't seen many of them around. Most contractors use the 1A.

Thank you! I have zeroed in on Werners 24' aluminum.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-24-ft-Aluminum-300-lb-Type-IA-Extension-Ladder/999921988

I don't think I need fiberglass, wont be working around electricity.

I am 6-3 and 250.

Thank you! I have zeroed in on Werners 24' aluminum.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-24-ft-Aluminum-300-lb-Type-IA-Extension-Ladder/999921988

I don't think I need fiberglass, wont be working around electricity.

Smart move. That's what we use in various sizes. You're right, you don't need fiber glass unless you're doing a lot of electrical work. Your choice saved you $$ and weight.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
That's about all you can say about a ladder, I guess.

No it's not. You can tell us if the ladder flexes and sways all over the place.

I've been on some cheesy extension ladders; they're not fun.

I have a multipurpose ladder and the steps are more like round poles than flat steps and are hard to stay standing on for any period of time. I hate it. It's going on CL soon.

I would look on CL for used ladders. Get a heavy duty ladder for a good price.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have a multipurpose ladder and the steps are more like round poles than flat steps and are hard to stay standing on for any period of time. I hate it. It's going on CL soon.

what brand? mine has flat steps.

I have this one
http://www.vulcanladderusa.com/17-Multi-Task-Ladder_ES-17T11G1.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

I bought a very good almost new multipurpose ladder on CL for very good price, new was about $130-150 I paid $55 for it with 30 miles round trip to pick it up.

HF has the 17' multitask ladder on sale its listed as "haulmaster"
But last time I checked it was a Vulcan.
Very sturdy class IA(300lb)

Pretty good for 99$ Very sturdy feeling.

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-ft-type-1a-multi-task-ladder-67646.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzU1NzkwMTAiLCJza3UiOiI2NzY0NiIsImlzIjoiOTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiNjY0NyJ9%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2416b_fd&utm_source=1041&cid=mEmail_s1041_c2416b_fd

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You got that right, especially when working off a 32'or higher ladder. Flex, sway, and twist while climbing leave some people with a very uneasy feeling. Like most other things in life you get what you pay for. I don't cheap out with my ladders!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You got that right, especially when working off a 32'or higher ladder. Flex, sway, and twist while climbing leave some people with a very uneasy feeling. Like most other things in life you get what you pay for. I don't cheap out with my ladders!

I took a walk around the house double checking that a 24 foot ladder is correct. It is.
However I noticed that I would be placing the ladder near the power line into the house. It would be around 4 feet from it when I extend it.
So I think a fiber glass would be the safest. Just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back