Suggestions for new to me 92 Yukon 2 door. 350TBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
L05's are loud on the intake side. Sound like a toilet flushing, and really growl on accel.

GM spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to quiet them. The ones that went into the Cadillac Fleetwoods received an especially restrictive intake just for this reason.

Good job Merkava 4.

I like the SBC and would run it on factory spec 10w-30 until I felt it was time to head on over to the 10w-40 aisle and then stay there until further action was needed.

Side pipe looks menacing. Don't go barreling down the neighborhood at 4 in the morning with that tank. that exhaust and the folks about talking about how good (or loud) the intake sounds. We have some guy romping on his V6. I made the mistake of trying to get a nap the other day with my window open!

What do you guys think, PVC Gatling gun for the roof?

I have to pick my gf up at the airport tomorrow, can I get it done in time?
gatling_gun_cosplay_prop_by_ramageart-d8nrfs2.jpg

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
L05's are loud on the intake side. Sound like a toilet flushing, and really growl on accel.

GM spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to quiet them. The ones that went into the Cadillac Fleetwoods received an especially restrictive intake just for this reason.

back in the early 80`s my friends dad had a 1968 Ford Country Squire with a 390 in it. anyway, we flipped the air cleaner lid over and drove it down the road. talk about sounding like a toilet flushing? man we laughed our butts off!

I had a 93 pickup with a TBI 305. Tough engines, Mine have 197k when I blew a tranny cooler line and cooked the transmission. Still ran great. I ran Maxlife 10w40 when I first got is at 150k and ran Rotella T6 5w40 for the final couple years.

Changed the oil, looked OK but the filter seemed old. Does anyone know the last time Purolator redid the font on their classic filter? I think this truck has been off the road for 3-4 years or so and hardly driven prior. Based on the few receipts I have from the past 13 years it only has been driven 30,000 miles. But has 176,000 total.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: lexus114
just curious, does the exhaust exit out the drivers side as well? i bet it sounds good if thats the case.
wink.gif

Just on that side, and no special muffler, newer cat. Messed around with it some tonight. Found two bad spark plug wires, one not clicked on the plug. I flipped the lid on the air breather, it sounds like an old quadrajet now. I've driven a handful of these 350 TBI's and this one seems to run hard. It feels geared, it will roast those back tires. I know 3.73s and 4.10's were an option that year.

Also picked up 10w40 Maxlife and got a Fram xtra guard air filter at walmart for $5, couldn't believe how cheap that was.

I replaced those plug wires, but the engine just didn't seem 100% to me when holding the brake with it in gear. It had brand new AC plugs in it, much to my surprise. I pulled every plug out to check the gap. All were perfect except one. I found a plug that must have been dropped, the ground was touching the electrode. Now it runs perfectly. And I checked the code for the gears, 3.73 Posi.

I love my 3.73s behind my 6.0 SBC LQ4

I didn't like 3.42s on my CamaroZ28 350 LT1

I think they shift the powerband . Like 4:10 gears would move the (or make better use of) a higher rpm powerband. And 3.23 gears would be better for lugging around.

Have a relative with a 92 Suburban with about 250k on it. It's lived on a diet of M1 0w30 the last many years. It's never had oil leaks or engine issues. Just alternators, water pump, and fuel pump. So, with that said, I think any oil from 0w30-15w40 would be fine. These engines don't seem to care much as long as they have oil. Brand doesn't matter, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back