How do you log or track your maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past I've used spreadsheets or even my calendar to record vehicle maintenance. But I've never done it consistently.

I'm looking at some of the apps available now and considering using myCarFax. Seems reasonably easy to use and has the advantage that my DIY servicing would be included on the CarFax vehicle report when I sell the car.

Anybody using it?

What works best for you?

Last edited:
I have an email chain to myself that i send a new email when i do any work. Seperate chain for each car. Kind of janky but it works for me

I typically keep a record book on most of my vehicles.
The older griots book was great but you can't get them anymore.
"At a glance" is my current go to vehicle maintenance book.

For some vehicles I use a spreadsheet, but over a decade you risk data loss corruption etc. Whereas a book in a leather case stays good nearly forever.

Current oldest one is my 04 titan.

All the receipts go in a folder and I update the log after each servicing.

When I sold my last grooming van the purchaser asked me to drive to their pet mechanic for an inspection.

Upon arrival the first thing he said was do you have any paperwork?

I turned over the book and the receipt folder.

Within 10 minutes of glancing through the book and a few question - he looked at the prospective buyer and said "well check it out", but I can tell you simply by this guys record keeping - you are good to go.

UD

I googled printable "vehicle maintenance log" few years back and every car I get gets one, and everything gets written down and put in glovebox with most receipts

My brother has a little notebook for each vehicle, where he records everything, including gas, and mileage. When I bought the neon from him, I transcribed it into a spreadsheet, and kept it up to date.

2 years ago when I sold it to my buddies mom,I printed it out, with several blank sheets, in a binder, and attached a flash drive with the file.

She laughed at the idea, and I doubt there has been a single entry since then...

And to be honest, I only did it because I had a record from when the car was new.
My current car, I bought with 70k mi. No records, so I've not kept a log....

Last edited:
I use multiple ways. I will track maintenance using a spreadsheet, this allows you to follow things at your leasure in the house. I also keep a record in a pocket sized note pad that is kept in the vehicle. Kinda redundant, but hey I tend to own my vehicles for a long time and you need to track maintenance. You would'nt think important memories like vehicle maintence could fade but they do. The anti freeze you changed last fall was the kids car, and you never got around to yours.

I downloaded the Carfax app shortly after it came out, being using it exclusively since then. It's biggest disadvantage is that you cannot create a maintenance log and download / print it out. Other than that, I like it.

I actually just use the notepad app on my iPhone to keep up with all the maintenance on my vehicles. Easy and I always have it with me.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Spiral ring notebook.

I started doing this recently.
I had kept records on MS Word files for each vehicle.
then recently I had a corrupt file lock up my 1 TB hard drive .
So all my info (and pics and such) is locked on it , unable to access.

Hard to beat a spreadsheet for flexibility. I never keep up with it over the long term though. Maybe it's not my methodology but my motivation!

I write oil, air filter, coolant date/mileage right on the radiator support with a felt pen. When I do it again, a little alcohol takes off the old info, write in new. It's always right there to look at every time you open the hood
smile.gif

Battery has a date code. I grease when I do oils. Tranny's get it every 50K. Brake inspections and tire rotations are spring fall ...

I use a nice leather / suede covered book with about 1.5"s of lined paper. At the top of each page I write the date and under anything I do to the vehicle. and affix any reciepts to the page.

I once went through a "get organized" phase and ended up spending more time organizing my life rather than actually living it.

I follow the KISS principle as many others here. A simple notebook to record date, mileage, work performed. Rarely do I get OCD about gas fill ups/mpg, etc.. All receipts stuffed in an envelope, where I can find them on the rare occasion they are needed. Once in awhile I will make a word document if I have many details I want to refer to again. For instance, a difficult brake job where I determine maybe certain parts or procedures should be used next time.

In one car, I scribble down notes on the back page of the owner's manual. On the other I had a couple of index cards with maintenance notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back