I was let go from my job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of you have commented on my previous thread about looking for a new job back around January. I had gone on a few job interviews but didn't receive any offers impressive enough to leave my current job.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago, on a Friday, I was let go after five years. Still shocked that it happened and in many ways upset. First a bit of back story. I had been there for over five years, at the time I was let go, one of seven in my department (IT). I had been waiting on approval from higher ups for a promotion where I would be traveling daily to the buildings we owned and doing on-site work (server setups, client maintenance, mild training, etc). They had and still have tons of tasks that needed to be taken care. Huge implementations, big deadlines, you name it. My immediate boss was really the one pushing for this promotion, including myself of course. But when asking the higher ups, it kept being pushed back wanting to discuss this at a later date.

At the time I was doing technical support and lots of system administrator tasks. The plan was to hire two entry level guys to handle the tech support and then move me up. About a month ago they hired the two guys to do such and I trained them. Two weeks later I was let go. When asked why I was told that "we're going in a new direction and you're not part of it". I asked "how will all of the projects that we have get done?" I was told "that's our concern now." I was let go by one of the higher managers, my boss was let go minutes before me.

I assumed they were down sizing or out sourcing, but recently came across my job being relisted looking for a new employee. I asked one of the guys still there and was told that they were approved to hire an additional employee due to the huge workload.

At this point I just shocked. I trained my replacements and they even know they need the help but I was let go? Just makes no sense to me. I can't believe it's over money as I'm lucky to have made only 8k more than the entry level people they hired. Pennies to be honest. I know those systems inside and out... Guess they don't value experience.

Was always on time, always showed up, stayed late. Went above and beyond countless times. I was severely under paid IMO. I'm wondering why they wouldn't get rid of one of the new guys but not keep me? One of the guys I worked with misses me terribly and I can tell they're struggling. Feel bad for him. I really think the higher ups figured me and my boss didn't do much but then realized how much work isn't getting done.

I'm looking for jobs again. Good friend of mine is trying to get me into a bank. I am back to working full time at the pizzeria I've been at on and off over the past 10 years. It isn't a bad gig and pays the bills.

Shocked. Figured I was worth it. Guess someone didn't like me. Wondering also if maybe it's some sort of discrimination as I was helping the CEO months ago and he said that I could use some exercise. I told my boss who wanted to tell HR (under the presumption that it wouldn't get to the CEO in fear of retaliation). Sure I know I'm a fat guy, big whoop, didn't wake up yesterday and say oh Jesus I'm fat. But I don't need the CEO to bother me about my weight. Maybe they thought I was too fat, lol.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Guess someone didn't like me. Wondering also if maybe it's some sort of discrimination as I was helping the CEO months ago and he said that I could use some exercise. I told my boss who wanted to tell HR (under the presumption that it wouldn't get to the CEO in fear of retaliation). Sure I know I'm a fat guy, big whoop, didn't wake up yesterday and say oh Jesus I'm fat. But I don't need the CEO to bother me about my weight. Maybe they thought I was too fat, lol.

I know how things work on the high end. Something surrounding that event is why you were let go. Either word went up you complained or word came down that the CEO didn't like something about you.

Curious if it was a public company?

redhat, my best advice is to speak an actual attorney. I have a 1 year real law school. Half these posters are real "country boys" and have no business giving advice.........

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
redhat, my best advice is to speak an actual attorney. I have a 1 year real law school. Half these posters are real "country boys" and have no business giving advice.........

smirk.gif
That's pretty rude. Just give your opinion and don't insult the other posters.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122

smirk.gif

The funniest part, to me, is that no one has given any advice. And there are three posts above his, so what is half? I guess they cover logic in the 2nd year of "real"? law school.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the thin guys always get the preferential treatment and the bosses are always more lenient towards them. Especially the guys that are underweight; the bosses will overlook them moving a little too slow because they'll think the employee is malnourished and they'll feel sorry for them. The fat guys get watched like a hawk and every single footstep they take gets highly scrutinized.

That sucks. Look at it this way. If they're willing to treat you that way and put themselves in an IT mess, you're probably better off not being there. Would you rather be the one held there while everyone around you were terminated, leaving you holding the bag?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the thin guys always get the preferential treatment and the bosses are always more lenient towards them.

We're considerably cheaper to employee.

It's one way to lower payroll costs. They could not very well come to you and offer you a pay cut.

Some management practices judge expenses and payroll and efficiency is just skipped over. There's always an excuse for efficiency or the lack there of but costs are tougher to explain away.

redhat,

Sorry you lost your job.
It can be a stressful time.

When I was unemployed, I was OK (mentally) if I had at least 1 lead to follow.
No leads = stress.

It seems every Company has an IT Department these days.
So keep looking.

Realize that Company hiring may slow down during the Summer Months.
Don't get discouraged.

Solar City is hiring 100's of people.
Try and get in there doing anything with the intent of working your way back to IT.

Geico is always hiring.
Look into getting a job there.

Read the Business Section of the Buffalo News, that may give you some leads to follow.

Good luck and don't get stressed out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the thin guys always get the preferential treatment and the bosses are always more lenient towards them.

We're considerably cheaper to employee.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Originally Posted By: redhat
Many of you have commented on my previous thread about looking for a new job back around January. I had gone on a few job interviews but didn't receive any offers impressive enough to leave my current job....

I see you're in WNY.

If the bank you're looking at is the one with the green flag, DO IT. That's where I work, and I couldn't be happier - the IT staff seriously sticks around.

Sorry to hear that you were let go, but it's clear that your employer figured out that you were planning on leaving anyway. It's not hard for an employer to recognize the signs of an unhappy employee. Look at it as an opportunity to move on.

And yes, if you are overweight it's time to drop those pounds. Someone who is overweight is not as employable as someone who keeps their weight under control.

That was uncalled for. Oh wow, one whole YEAR??? Do you mean two semesters daddy paid for?? Don't be a Richard to people.

Sorry about getting let go.

That all being said you already acknowledged you feel underpaid and we're looking. That indicates they beat you or pushed you into the best move for yourself getting a new gig.

I have been let go due to funding a few times. honestly it pained me but then every push has made me and raised responsibility and pay scale.

Onto better things.

redhat,

You mentioned a few months ago in your other thread you were doing non IT jobs (moving stuff) and were underpaid. Did you accidentally tell anyone you were looking for another job and it got back to the big boss ?
You also mentioned they didn't want to pay for your IT certifications that would improve you as an employee to the organization. That right there was a clear sign to move on.

It sucks but you'll find a better paying job with a better future.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122

smirk.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Exactly.

Give some helpful advice and/or support or shut your trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back