PC-11 Prep from Chevron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to see the 15w30 Delo anywhere. No truck stop, no commercial truck parts out let, no commercial truck dealer, nothing. Haven't been specifically looking for it, as I have no interest in using it, but I do keep my eyes open for what it being offered in general. Seems the trucking community has also decided to essentially ignore it. Other than places like this, no one in commercial trucking I come across daily even mentions the 15w30 when discussing oils. 10w30 is the main topic now.

Understood...

I'll bet they released it and then used it for test fleets that they had agreements with...

It does exist. You can buy it on Amazon like this: https://www.amazon.com/Delo-15W-30-Motor...lo400+sd+15W-30
smile.gif

My oil stash is too crowded to take on any more right now. When I've done a few more cars and trucks with what's in stock, I think I'll order a case to have on hand
smile.gif

I scored a bunch of free oil at the recycling days turn-in. I was dumping oil paint. As others turned in unwanted new un-used oil, I was there putting it in my pickup. Got a bunch of Mobil1 and Castrol RS 10W-60 along with many quarts of Chevron Supreme 10W-30. So I need to whittle that down to manageable
laugh.gif

Never implied that a 15w30 is not available, just that to the group it seems to be targeted at, there is little hint of its existence. Most fleets and even individual semi truck drivers don't get their oil off Amazon. And even if I was motivated to use 15w30, I sure wouldn't get it unless I could get it at commercial pricing with free delivery to my shop along with free oil sample kits, as is my current situation. So, 10w30 will have to suffice.

Understood, again. I agree on your situation, and prolly with most independents, it does not make sense.

And if your UOA's with 10W-30 are coming back really good, no need for a switch.

I wrote to 540RAT to see if he wants to test it to see if it actually outperforms the other HDEO's in his testing scenario? We'll see where that goes...

But with the upcoming PC-11 (CK-4) oils out soon, if not already, I think there is going to be a bump in BITOG HDEO thread traffic... It would be nice to have some insight into this niche oil and where it fits withing the spectrum...

Yesterday I did a comparison of 5W20 and SAE20, both with KV100C @ 8.3
The SAE20 blew the multi-grade's HTHS out of the water.

Today I compared Chevron 15W30 to an SAE30, both with KV100C @ 12.0

SAE30
KV40C 94
KV100C 12.0
HTHS >3.7

15W30
KV40C 89
KV100C 12.0
HTHS 3.7
VI 128
Density .881

Each may extract their own conclusion, but I'm betting 15W30 could be the best SAE30 mono-grade on the market.
I drive right past a Chevron bulk dealer 10X a month, so I don't need to hang around waiting for a delivery truck.

You just gave strong support for what was floating around in the back of my mind...

You found the "evidence" and phrased it with support, but that is what I was sort of leaning toward -> SD 15W-30 is the best modern SAE30'ish mono around...

Sort of like Redline rates their racing oils, but in reverse. Redline lists them for racers as XX mono grade. But when you dig into the specs, you find they are usually dual rated as a multi also ...

Engine oil blenders have to dance around the rules, for example a VII containing oil must be labeled at the lowest winter grade it passes.
My mix in the above SAE30 example, was obtained by adding 28% Duron SAE40 to SAE30, not exactly scientific or accurate, but it's the thought that counts.
Yesterdays mock-up SAE20 arrived at 8.3 by adding SAE10 TO-4 to SAE30 TO-4, because the examples are said to be VII free. (sans plastique)
My UOAs with mono-grades, indicate that they are more likely to thicken out of grade from contaminate loading, than thin out.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I have a sneaking suspicion that Delo SD 15W-30 was a test oil to see how the new chemistry would work out in widespread use. Anyone heard of any issues ...

I think you're placing way too many accolades on the 15w-30. That's not much more than lipstick on a monograde, to be honest. Their advanced lube is the LE 5w-30. E6 type lubes are going to be the future. Let's see the 15w-30 with an E6 additive package; then we'll talk about new chemistry.

E6? What's that, and who cares?

Delo 15W30 passes CJ-4/SM, 15W by a huge margin, has 3.7 HTHS when it's new, and 3.7 HTHS at drain time.
What's not to like about it?

As fuel economy and emissions regulations start creeping in, you'll see who cares. My point isn't that everyone should run out and grab Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 or the Delo or Castrol equivalents tomorrow. My point isn't that the 15w-30 is useless or garbage, either. It simply isn't a cutting edge lubricant.

Check the builder approval lists on an E6 lube. You won't find a longer list on any other HDEO. As for what E6 is, here's some information:

Originally Posted By: ACEA
ACEA E6-12 oils are low SAPS Ultra High Performance Diesel (UHPD) lubricants designed for use in severe duty, long drain applications.

ACEA recommends their use in vehicles fitted with aftertreatment systems for the reduction of particulate matter (DPFs) and oxides of nitrogen (EGR and/or SCR), in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel.
ACEA E6-12 is usually coupled with Daimler MB-Approval 228.51 and MAN 3477, MTU oil category 3.1 and Deutz DQC IV-10 LA.

Typically Daimler, MAN, MTU and Deutz performance specifications build on top of an ACEA E6-12 with additional performance requirements in areas such as wear protection.

Delo 400 SD 15W30 passes API CJ-4/SM, 15W and meets the HTHS requirement of 15W40, 20W40, 25W40 and SAE40.

Therefore, it is a fuel economy alternative in appropriate conditions Chevron stated, for engines that normally run on 15W40 CJ-4.
Delo 15W30 is a 3-season alternative to HD engines that may operate with XW30 CJ-4 engine oil.

How many different ways can the story be told?
Try to limit your response to what the product is, not what it isn't.

Last edited:
Lubrizol describes E6, typically group II 10w40.
That would be Europe's answer to 15W40 for fuel economy.
State of the art oil if you wish it to be, is available from Petro-Canada.
Duron UHP 5w30 and UHP 10W40. Ultra High Performance, "cutting edge" Diesel engine oil.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Therefore, it is a fuel economy alternative in appropriate conditions Chevron stated, for engines that normally run on 15W40 CJ-4.

Yes, it certainly is. However, you can't rule that one cannot compare to other grades or to what it "isn't." It'll win as a fuel economy oil versus a 15w-40. It'll fail in comparison to a 10w-30 or a 5w-30 HDEO. In any case, for me, a three season oil isn't really an option I'll be choosing.

As for Petro-Canada, I'm not seeing any E6 10w-40. Am I missing something? Their ACEA coverage is a little spotty and they're using expired sequences, too, except for their 5w-30 UHP.

Most E6 examples I've seen worldwide have been 5w-30, contrary to what the ACEA verbiage states. I've seen Castrol, Mobil, Chevron, and now Petro-Canada variants, and they've all been 5w-30. Now I'm curious as to the cost and jug size from Petro-Canada for that product.

Yes, the 10w-40 appears to be European only, with the 5w-30 available here. Thanks for the link, by the way. My last Petro-Canada lubricant handbook is from 2014 or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back