PUSH button start long term reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I own a 2015 Civic EX with just 10,200 miles. Obviously, the PUSH button start works perfectly. But I was wondering if this will last the life of the car? Let's say a 10-12 year period? Will it prove to be just as reliable as a traditional key? Or will it eventually just break and need an EXPENSIVE replacement??

I have been wondering if some of this technology is REALLY that necessary? Now its actually considered "old fashion" to buy a car with a traditional key start ignition! Now its actually considered too much effort to get in a car, put the key in the ignition and turn it to start!

Last edited:
I doubt it will make any difference. Instead of turning the key to "start," which simply actuates a switch, you have a separate momentary switch. It may last longer than the traditional ignition switch.

I think if anything it will be more reliable than a key to turn. Cars have been using PCM controlled starters for a few years, so arguably less wear on the starter and flywheel/flexplate ring gear from excessive use.

My brother just had problems with it in my SIL's 2012 Altima, with less than 40K miles on the car.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Now its actually considered "old fashion" to buy a car with a traditional key start ignition! Now its actually considered too much effort to get in a car, put the key in the ignition and turn it to start!

59066735.jpg

I DO get annoyed when my flip phone and car keys get tangled together in my pocket.

Key switch versus pushbutton switch?
Key switches rarely give trouble.
I've never replaced one in forty years of owning IDK how many different cars.
I'd expect the same level of reliability from pushbutton switches.
They do seem a bit like an answer to a question nobody really asked, though.

It's a simple momentary switch. Those things should be far more reliable than the huge cylinder assembly that has to turn with a key in it. The S2000 was one of the early cars to have this back in late 1999 and I have never heard owners complain of it being unreliable.

Those buttons are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, too. Here is the OEM BMW one for $75:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/engine-start-push-button/61319146356/

On my car, all you would do is pop off the trim piece, disconnect the button, and put the new one in. Probably 20 minutes start-to-finish. In fact, a lot of guys like to retrofit this to older BMWs as a modern update.

They have been around for quite some time now and I've never heard of a "common" issue with them. My mother-in-law has it in her 2009 Nissan Murano with 170k on it that was actually built in March 08. That was 8 years ago and I'm sure it wasn't the first car it was in.

On the Mercedes I have, it's on the shifter. There are common complaints that it will stop working after a while, but the fix is to take the shifter apart and fix a wire that gets loose. The more recent models moved the button from the shifter to the dash so less wear and tear on the button. It's a very precise start too, tap the button once and it cranks the engine the perfect amount to start it. There are other associated problems with it, the keyless go fob can go bad which can be an expensive replacement. There are also sensors and antennas that could go bad, but it's not very common. Sorta like the fears from days past that the sunroof would break with it stuck open or the power window won't work. Still happens, but rare. Still a fun feature, I use it all the time.

I don't think there will be much problems with the button. What I don't like is having to step on the brake to get it to start. And you have to hold it down pretty hard, well at least on VWs.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What I don't like is having to step on the brake to get it to start.

You do realize that functionality is because the vehicle has an automatic transmission, right? That has nothing at all to do with being a push button start. That's been a requirement since the late 80's or early 90's.

Quote:
And you have to hold it down pretty hard, well at least on VWs.

My '07 Nissan Altima was a quick tap, same as my '14 Mazda CX-5.
I had a loaner 2015 Audi A3 for a day, and it was the same quick tap, nothing different.

My wife presses and holds the start button until the engine is fully started, but I'm not going to risk telling her to stop doing that.
smile.gif

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
What I don't like is having to step on the brake to get it to start.

You do realize that functionality is because the vehicle has an automatic transmission, right? That has nothing at all to do with being a push button start. That's been a requirement since the late 80's or early 90's.

Quote:
And you have to hold it down pretty hard, well at least on VWs.

My '07 Nissan Altima was a quick tap, same as my '14 Mazda CX-5.
I had a loaner 2015 Audi A3 for a day, and it was the same quick tap, nothing different.

My wife presses and holds the start button until the engine is fully started, but I'm not going to risk telling her to stop doing that.
smile.gif

BC.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, I've NEVER had to touch the brake pedal to get a car to start. To shift out of park, sure. Not to start.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Key switch versus pushbutton switch?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Ask GM. They did a pretty good job designing ignition switches......

Better yet, ask the family members and friends of people who were killed in GM's vehicles due to the reliability of their ignition switches.

I'm sure they all wish they had bought something that didn't have a faulty GM ignition switch.

BC.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I've never replaced one in forty years of owning IDK how many different cars.

orly_owl.jpg

Push button start systems are harder for theives to bypass, combined with touch sensor door handles make things much easier. Less moving parts to wear out.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, I've NEVER had to touch the brake pedal to get a car to start. To shift out of park, sure. Not to start.

Are you referring to your keyless start system or just turning the key in the ignition? My keyless go on the Mercedes requires you to hit the brake pedal when hitting the button. Otherwise it won't start. I just tap it once and it starts automatically. I can use the key also and that doesn't require the foot on the brake to start it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Are you referring to your keyless start system or just turning the key in the ignition? My keyless go on the Mercedes requires you to hit the brake pedal when hitting the button. Otherwise it won't start. I just tap it once and it starts automatically. I can use the key also and that doesn't require the foot on the brake to start it.
The newer VWs with the keyless start system don't have a place to insert a key. Have to push the brake pedal about 2/3-3/4 of the way down and push to start.

I'd bet a flimsy rubber button is going to burn out/fall apart and need to be replaced probably for nearly as much as a regular key ignition sooner than any good keyed ignition.

Things you rub your finger on a lot have a tendency to wear and look disgusting after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back