does new tire need break-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as subject...

i live in tropical country which is only have 2 seasons here, and i just bought 4 tires for my RWD Van..
my question is do i really need to do break-in the new tires? if yes how long i need to break-in? or how many miles need to break-in?

thank you..

Yes. 200 miles should do. It scrapes the preservative wax off them.

OTOH if they're seasonal and you're waiting for the season, don't scrub the wax off early.

Just carefully drive to scuff up the tire and get any protectant or mold release if used etc. off.

around 300-500miles and a few usage cycles (hot-cold) will be all that's needed

You will need to rub Amsoil break-in oil on the sidewalls!
smile.gif

Seriously, the only thing that needs to be done is to re-torque the lugs after about 50 miles.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
You will need to rub Amsoil break-in oil on the sidewalls!
smile.gif

Seriously, the only thing that needs to be done is to re-torque the lugs after about 50 miles.

Exactly.

A new tire will run a little warmer, if you are at legal speeds no problem.

Sometimes a new tire will shift balance a little, so a rotate and rebalance can make it smoother. Unless mounted wrong or defective, the amount of change is slight.

Rod

Last edited:
Depends on driving style, mine is usually cleaned off around 50-70 miles.

Since you just got them on, its worth noting that chain stores will give you free "warranty" rebalances within a reasonable time frame, around me it's not out of the question during the first 12-24 months. Worth asking at checkout just so you know.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Never thought about it for cars. For motorcycles its very important that you heed caution for 100 miles or so.

Fixed it for ya!

You can still run 100 miles on the center strip and still have slick sides. So, I find it best to focus on being smooth while steering for the initial break-in.

Every tire shop I went to and every tire company's leaflet i ever got advised to take it easy on a brand new tire for a few hundred miles (500-800 KM in Canada). I ahve for the most part followed the recommendations except occasionally deviating from the suggestion to stay under 100 km/h.

Aside from break-in, I have generally noticed that a new tire's performance improves at around the 1000 Mi point and really rounds into it's best form at about 1800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back