Some airliner maintenance pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What weight of oil do these take? Is it thin like ATF?

Also, what is the capacity and service intervals?

Thanks for the awesome pics btw.

Its very thin. It would be 0w10 or 0w5 in car terms. But its very different oil. Completely different add packs than cars.

The service intervals are thousands of hours. We just take samples, check or change the filters, and top off. This is the norm for modern jets.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Can you run Jet Oil in a car?

NO! Don't ever do that. It would ruin all the seals and its very thin, like a 0w10 or 0w5.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Is it true that every jet engine has its own GPS & transmittes data about the engine to a remote data storage center?

Well the engine itself does not have GPS...at least none that I've seen so far. But the aircraft will have several GPS systems and they transmit data through those.

But yes most newer aircraft will transmit engine data back to the maintenance depot for performance monitoring throughout the flight. It used to all download after they landed but now its being done in real time from the air.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
As a retired Navy aircraft mechanic I see a couple of safety wire issues
wink.gif

Well after looking again looks like your in the middle some sort of phase maint and not done yet
blush.gif

LOL thanks...btw what aircraft? My dad few A7s in the 80s and 90s until they were retired.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What weight of oil do these take? Is it thin like ATF?

Also, what is the capacity and service intervals?

Thanks for the awesome pics btw.

Its very thin. It would be 0w10 or 0w5 in car terms. But its very different oil. Completely different add packs than cars.

The service intervals are thousands of hours. We just take samples, check or change the filters, and top off. This is the norm for modern jets.

Mobil Jet II has a viscosity @ 100°C of 5.1 cSt, which puts it in the new proposed "SAE 8" grade. In spite of its very low viscosity it has a pour point of -75°F, a flash point over 500°F, and a Noack of about 5%. It is based entirely on POEs, specifically a pentaerythritol type polyol ester, and contains anti-oxidants, anti-wear, and anti-corrosion additives. In addition to seal issues as Stranger706 noted, these jet engine oils do not contain any detergents, dispersants, or anti-rust additives and are not suitable for automotive engines.

Tom NJ

To answer the questions about the two ports on the side of the oil reservoir - firstly, the oil reservoir on a jet engine is mounted on the side of the fan frame and is accessed through a door on the side of the cowling.

There are two ways to add oil to the reservoir - gravity fill or pressure fill.

The gravity fill method is just like adding oil to a car engine. You open a cap and pour oil into the reservoir until it shows full on the sight glass.

The pressure fill method uses the two ports that are in question in the picture. You remove the blanking caps from the oil fill ports and attach a fill hose to the bottom port and an overflow hose to the upper port. You then pump oil into the reservoir from a portable container until the oil flows from the upper overflow hose.

Normally an engine will be filled by using the gravity fill method but the pressure fill method is offered because this is also the method used to fill the IDG (integrated drive generator) on the accessory drive module. The IDG mounts under the engine and doesn't have the ability to be gravity filled so they use pressure ports. If you're topping off the IDG with a portable pump then you can also top off the engine with the portable pump. The IDG generally uses the same type of oil as the engine/gearbox but it is a self contained unit and doesn't share the oil.

Neat! Thanks for posting the pics. We use basically the same V-band clamps you show in the first pic in liquid hydrogen service. Transfer hoses, make lines, etc.

Seeing the pictures make me kind of sad having worked on military and civilian aircraft for 24 years. Now working on trains BUT I miss those planes.
It such a shame those techs are not paid well enough.
Many car mechanics make more money...

Originally Posted By: R80RS
What are the two circular objects to the right of the oil level sight glass in the second picture?

Quick-connect ports for filling/draining engine oil reservoir

Is that a CFM or an IAE engine?
I'm guessing it's a CFM, but only because that's been the choice of most operators of the A319/A320/A321 and because I'm assuming it's a US based aircraft.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is that a CFM or an IAE engine?
I'm guessing it's a CFM, but only because that's been the choice of most operators of the A319/A320/A321 and because I'm assuming it's a US based aircraft.

Most definitely a CFM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back