Mower Decision: Toro Super Recycler vs Honda HRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My search for a new mower has naturally settled on these two great choices.

Toro 20382 - Super Recycler with Honda engine and Personal Pace rear wheel drive
Honda HRX217HZA - Nexite deck, electric start, hydrostatic trans, blade stop, twin blades, etc.

Frankly, they seem pretty similar to me, except that the Honda basically has it all. Toro doesn't seem to offer an equivalent model, and instead gives you different options in the Super Recycler line (one model with the Honda engine, one model with blade stop, one model with electric start). The price difference makes up for the lack of the extra features on the Toro, though.

I have a hybrid Bermuda lawn that, in the past, hasn't taken well to mulching. For some reason it grows so densely that the clippings have a tough time settling in and I end up with rotting grass mounds after a good rain. So, I've been bagging my grass for a few years now. My current mower is a FWD craftsman with a B&S engine that runs fine but doesn't give me as clean a cut as I'd like.

The lower price of the Toro is attractive, but the drive system seems rather primitive and I've heard that the personal pace system doesn't quite like it when you have to reverse (like around bushes and tight spaces). It also seems that the wheels ride on bushings which I'm not a fan of.

The Honda is sort of a no questions model, but at a rather steep price point. The complaints I hear are that it's heavy and that it can also have issues reversing if the drive gears get dirty. I'm curious if the hydrostatic drive is easy to service since it seems to be an expensive problem when it breaks?

I guess it comes down to money. Is the Honda worth the extra $250? I'm big on maintenance so I see no reason why this mower won't last me at least 15-20 years.

Get the Toro Super Recycler. I think either mower should last you a long time with proper maintenance. Toro Super Recycler mowers cut the best from what I've seen. There is someone in my neighborhood that has a Super Recycler with a stripping attachment on the back. His lawn looks like a ballpark.

have you tried sharpening the blade on your current mower?

IMO as far as mowers go... Less is more.

My ideal mower is Honda engine,
Non self propelled
Ball bearing wheels, Ideally large (10"+)
Option to mulch or bag, I don't know anyone who uses a side discharge option

the more "primitive" the better.

You would be surprised at how easy a non self propelled mower with large ball bearing wheels is to push.

Try going to a few mower dealers and push a few around.

ideally I would buy mower like I described off Craigslist for under $100

I have just a "plain" Toro Recylcler and I'm impressed how well it mulches even in tall thick grass. It never leaves behind unsightly left-over clippings. Everything is mulched into fine invisible clippings.

Deciding factor: do you mulch or bag?

Both are outstanding mowers and will last forever, but if you mulch the HRX wins hands down. I've seen both in action and there's no contest. The Toro deck better suction so if you're bagging or discharging you will get a cleaner cut. The striping feature is nice.

I would like to mulch, but I need the mulch to be really fine so that I don't have clumps all over my lawn. Plus, I pay about $100/year for fertilizer so no point in throwing away all that healthy grass that I cut each week.

My Honda GX160 Quad Trac is 18 years old. I have 4 sets of blades all as sharp as I can get them. Mulching ability is dependent on blade sharpness. With sharp blades it will mulch grass completely.

Was it a super recycler you used in the past and didn't like the results? Reason I ask is, you're not going to find a better mulching machine.

Your conditions might still take some tweaking with cutting height, etc.. to get a really nice result.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Was it a super recycler you used in the past and didn't like the results? Reason I ask is, you're not going to find a better mulching machine.

Your conditions might still take some tweaking with cutting height, etc.. to get a really nice result.

All the mowers I've ever owned or used were Craftsman. I am still considering the Toro but one of my big gripes with mowers is how the wheels eventually wobble side to side because they use bushings.

I got a Toro Recycler out of the garbage. It had a Briggs on it. I fixed it and used it a couple times. I ll have to say I was really impressed. I love my Lawnboys. I ended up selling it at the yard sale. It seemed well made, had the self pace. I just didn't need it. I see alot of lawnmowers cone through here. That was one of the better ones.

The Toro is THE premium mulcher on the market. If you use it properly. And by using it properly, that means not using it as a bush hog and mowing 12 inch grass. If you mow frequently enough and just take off the top 1/3 as designed, you wont find a better mulching mower on the market. The personal pace system on the Super Recycle is very robust. It will last the life of the mower. As far as having trouble pulling the mower backwards, that only happens if the cable is adjusted too tightly. It is a VERY easy 20 second fix to fix using just a screwdriver and adjusting the cable slightly loser if your mower should have problems pulling backwards. It's only an issue for IDIOTS that are too dense to look and see how the system works and then make a very minor adjustment. I LOVE the personal pace system.

As to the Honda that you are looking at, I would advise against the electric start and blade stop unless those are features that you REALLY need. Those are just maintenance items and more to break. I actually hate the blade stop clutch. They last about 7 - 10 years tops and then its a $300 repair to fix if you cant do it yourself.

Look at the Honda HRX217VKA instead, which doesn't have the electric start or blade stop. It does have the 190cc engine, which is very powerful, and a nice upgrade over the 160cc Honda engine.

http://www.mowersdirect.com/Honda-HRX217VKA-Lawn-Mower/p7830.html

I actually owned the top of the line Honda 217 mower with 190cc engine, blade stop, and hydro-static transmission. I sold it as I highly prefer the Toro Super Recycler.

I own two Super Recyclers. One I keep at my house and one at my mother in laws house that I also mow.

My honest advice is that you will be much happier with the Toro Super Recycler. It's easier and funner to use as well, in my opinion.

Also, you should look at the Toro Super Recycler 20381 instead. It has the 159cc Toro TXP engine, which is a sorta clone of the Honda GX160 engine. It is a much better/durable engine than the Honda GC160 engine on the mower that you were looking at. The fact that it's cheaper than the Honda by $50 is nice as well.

My parents have a Toro Super Recycler and the one thing I don't like about that the aluminum deck corrodes easliy. So I myself have the Honda HRX and love it. You can get then without electric start and that what I have. Its the HRX217HYA and only difference between the HRX217HYA and the HRX217HZA is the electric start. The cost difference is $120 and Honda engines are that easy to start its not worth getting an electric start at that difference.

I liked everything about the Toro except the sliding handle. It just felt weird to me, just could not get used to it.

Got a Honda and like it, a sold handle with your thumbs controlling the speed.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Toro is THE premium mulcher on the market. If you use it properly. And by using it properly, that means not using it as a bush hog and mowing 12 inch grass. If you mow frequently enough and just take off the top 1/3 as designed, you wont find a better mulching mower on the market. The personal pace system on the Super Recycle is very robust. It will last the life of the mower. As far as having trouble pulling the mower backwards, that only happens if the cable is adjusted too tightly. It is a VERY easy 20 second fix to fix using just a screwdriver and adjusting the cable slightly loser if your mower should have problems pulling backwards. It's only an issue for IDIOTS that are too dense to look and see how the system works and then make a very minor adjustment. I LOVE the personal pace system.

As to the Honda that you are looking at, I would advise against the electric start and blade stop unless those are features that you REALLY need. Those are just maintenance items and more to break. I actually hate the blade stop clutch. They last about 7 - 10 years tops and then its a $300 repair to fix if you cant do it yourself.

Look at the Honda HRX217VKA instead, which doesn't have the electric start or blade stop. It does have the 190cc engine, which is very powerful, and a nice upgrade over the 160cc Honda engine.

http://www.mowersdirect.com/Honda-HRX217VKA-Lawn-Mower/p7830.html

I actually owned the top of the line Honda 217 mower with 190cc engine, blade stop, and hydro-static transmission. I sold it as I highly prefer the Toro Super Recycler.

I own two Super Recyclers. One I keep at my house and one at my mother in laws house that I also mow.

My honest advice is that you will be much happier with the Toro Super Recycler. It's easier and funner to use as well, in my opinion.

Also, you should look at the Toro Super Recycler 20381 instead. It has the 159cc Toro TXP engine, which is a sorta clone of the Honda GX160 engine. It is a much better/durable engine than the Honda GC160 engine on the mower that you were looking at. The fact that it's cheaper than the Honda by $50 is nice as well.

OK this is what I was hoping to hear!

So the Honda mower without the electric start and blade stop comes out to be the exact same price as the Toro SR I was looking at.

On the Toro TXP - are you saying that I can save $50 for a clone engine that will work pretty much the same, or that there is something inherently BETTER about the TXP?

I had a Honda mower for about 4 years, not a bad mower at all but the motor just fragged one day even with great maintenance. Bought a Toro Super Recycler with the personal pace thing after that I have never looked back. The Toro is just better in every way.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
On the Toro TXP - are you saying that I can save $50 for a clone engine that will work pretty much the same, or that there is something inherently BETTER about the TXP?

The Honda GC engine has a plastic gears, camshaft is rubber belt driven, and aluminum cylinder walls. It's a decent, serviceable mower engine. The TXP engine, being a clone of the Honda GX160, is superior. It has metal gears, a cast iron cylinder sleeve, and real bearings not bushings on the crankshaft, etc.

In all actuality, you wont really notice a difference between the two. I would save the $50 and get the better engine myself.

Best mulcher is the Snapper Ninja deck with the Ninja blades. Best bagger hands down is the Snapper Hi Vac with the air lift kit bolted to the blade.

Far as getting a good cut, it's all about blades and sharpness. Oregon is the leader in blades. Oregon uses very hard steel for a mower blade. Even their red paint takes numerous swipes with a new double cut file to SLOWLY remove it. They use some hard paint.

I really love my Toro Model #20340 - $399, RWD, Super easy to use, starts on first pull, excellent cut with nothing leftover, and side discharge works well on the tall stuff. I did have to resharpen the blade after about 10 cuts, but my grass is thick and OE blades are not very sharp from factory. Really loving it this year. I do 1/3 acre on 1 quart of fuel and it's quiet enough to enjoy music while I mow.

Originally Posted By: slomo
Best mulcher is the Snapper Ninja deck with the Ninja blades.

Nope. Not even close to a Super Recycler.

Best bagger hands down is the Snapper Hi Vac with the air lift kit bolted to the blade.

Yup. Snapper Hi Vac has amazing suction.

Far as getting a good cut, it's all about blades and sharpness. Oregon is the leader in blades. Oregon uses very hard steel for a mower blade. Even their red paint takes numerous swipes with a new double cut file to SLOWLY remove it. They use some hard paint.

Don't put an Oregon blade on a Toro. OEM Toro blades ONLY on Toro Super Recyclers. The deck and blade are engineered to work properly together, with the proper lift and recycling action. The cut goes out the door with aftermarket blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back