Single cylinder air cooled Honda gear problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 150k miles bike that has started to develop a grating sound on the 4th gear, on the move and on engine braking. It moves still and engine brakes well on that gear except for the sound.

The shop thinks the transmission is shot and recommends a rebuild. I got no history on whether the bike has been rebuilt before.

I have been using hdeo on the bike with short oci.

Withe the suspected gear problem, is there a recommended oil that I can use to extend its usability till I can find time to service it as it is my primary commuter.

I am willing to try adding Lucas oil stabilizer or even the Lucas transmission fix that I have lying around unused if it is recommended just to extend its life.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
If you have grating sounds, nothing is going to replace worn metal. Lucas oil stabilizer waters down your additive pack and all it does in return is make the oil thicker.

Sadly no "magic elixirs" will solve your problem and nobody is going to be able to give a correct diagnoses over the internet. It's kinda like Christmas,, you won't know what you have till you open it up and look.
Single cylinder Honda's are pretty simple machines and maybe a repair manual is still available for your model. I have a 1982 Honda FT500 Ascot single but mine only has 113,000 miles on it. The engine has never been opened up and it still runs like a sewing machine with no oil use. It's about as complicated as a lawn mower to work on.
412227_3739305237857_1589198408_o.jpg

^ The above pic looks like the 84 Ascot twin to me...unless my old eyes are playing tricks on me. ^

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
^ The above pic looks like the 84 Ascot twin to me...unless my old eyes are playing tricks on me. ^

They only sold them in 1982 & 83, my father was the original buyer in 1982 when I was 14 years old and I was with him when he purchased it from Rick Case Honda in Cleveland for $999. My father died in 2003 and it's been mine ever since.
The VT Ascot was a V-twin and offered a few more years. The FT does have dual exhaust ports so maybe that confused you.
470353_3739310958000_1491238247_o.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304

I don't know about the specific model , but I do know the Japanese would sometimes sell last years production later and still sell it under a new model year.

I almost bought on of them way back in time after I spent all day riding a Yama 500 dirt bike and enjoyed the big single feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back