Pizza stone in a Weber Q ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya all.

Anyone make Pizza in their 200 series Weber Q?

If so, what stone do you use and any useful tips?

I know I can make great Pizza on my large Weber Kettle, and I know the Q does not get nearly as hot as that, but was just wondering if its ok on the Q as it would be convenient from time to time.

Thanks!

In for opinions.

I've been wanting to put my pizza stone in my Traeger for a while, just haven't gotten to doing it.

Don't see where it would be a problem, just have to cook longer...(since it's not as hot)

Personally my only pizza stone experience was non pizza related. - roomie always kept a couple in the oven for extra thermal mass, one winter our heat pump was fully encrusted in ice, and the place was cooling off. Cranked the oven to 500, once everything was up to temp, gloved up, pulled the 500f stones and put them on top of the ice crust. They melted down to the metal, and the heat was enough to kick-start the heat pump's deice cycle. And before long we had heat.

I can't speak to the Weber grill in particular, but I have used a pizza stone on two different gas grills.
Last summer I found my courage and put the older of my pizza stones on the grill (right on the grates) and warmed it up on medium high for about 15 minutes. I figured if it cracked, it was the older one, not the worst loss.

No problems. The 1/2 inch thick generic stone was fine all summer, even on my Dad's much smaller grill. The pizza was great ! We like a somewhat thick crust, the bottom got nice and crisp for about 1/8 inch in, then it was like nice Italian bread.

Watch the bottom as you cook, turn the pies regularly, and cook to the doneness you like. Don't let the stone sit for a long while heating with no pizza. You may need to vary the temp with the thickness of crust you like. Be careful not to get too big a pie on the stone, the edges will burn.

I'm glad I did it, it keeps the house cool in the summer, and we still get pizza.

I use cast iron pans in my Weber Genesis for pizza. They hold the heat as well as a stone, I don't have to worry about damaging them with thermal shock or by simply bumping them, and cleanup is as simple as wiping them off.

The Genesis can easily hit 600+ degrees; I'm not sure that a stone can handle that temperature, but the cast iron can handle the 700 degrees that my oven can make when I do pizza (hotter is always better for pizza).

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The Genesis can easily hit 600+ degrees; I'm not sure that a stone can handle that temperature, but the cast iron can handle the 700 degrees that my oven can make when I do pizza (hotter is always better for pizza).

A friend has a neat little pizza oven called a 'PizzaQue' that runs on propane. It has 2 stones with an air gap between them over a propane burner. The thermometer on that has claimed 700-800 degrees without hurting the stone(s).

I think that one is next on my wish list.

Why use the stone? If your grill is gas, use a reliable thermometer and heat to 350-375. Put the pizza over a cooler part of the grill, alternating over the hot part. keep the lid closed as much as possible.
Grilled pizza. The oven crowd will be envious. And boy were they.....

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Why use the stone? If your grill is gas, use a reliable thermometer and heat to 350-375. Put the pizza over a cooler part of the grill, alternating over the hot part. keep the lid closed as much as possible.
Grilled pizza. The oven crowd will be envious. And boy were they.....

That's how we do it. Either on the Weber gas grill or pellet grill. Directly on the grill and rotate the pizza 90° every 5 minutes until done.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Here's a video making a pizza and putting it directly on the grille. I mean grill.

Neat.

I guess my second reason for getting a stone was so that I could use it inside in my Jenn-Air oven as well. It gets to 550F max tho...

Cast Iron? Didn't think of that when it comes to Pizza but why not I guess, Isn't that what those crazy Chicagoans use for their "Pizza" ?

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Here's a video making a pizza and putting it directly on the grille. I mean grill.

Neat.

I guess my second reason for getting a stone was so that I could use it inside in my Jenn-Air oven as well. It gets to 550F max tho...

Cast Iron? Didn't think of that when it comes to Pizza but why not I guess, Isn't that what those crazy Chicagoans use for their "Pizza" ?

Lodge has you covered with with a quality, made in U.S.A. option. Amazon can supply the Lodge or a number of less expensive, imported pans.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/bakeware/cast-iron-baking-pan-14.asp

Ed

Originally Posted By: racer12306
In for opinions.

I've been wanting to put my pizza stone in my Traeger for a while, just haven't gotten to doing it.

We make pizzas on our little tex pro and they are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back