10W-40 Strictly Specified ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Has there ever been a car since Day 1 that had an owner's manual specifying 10W-40 and nothing else ?

The diesel version of my car required 10W-40 or thicker in hot weather.

Many older cars required 10W-40 or thicker.

It's funny that recently there was a woman looking for 10W-40 at O'Reilly. A guy who worked there told her that they didn't bring 10W-40 anymore because no one used it.

GM Detroit Diesels (2-strokes) all used SAE 40 at anything approaching normal ambient temps. They would allow SAE 30 for low temp days, and even 15W-40 for real low temp days. But the manuals clearly state that it has to be changed out as soon as possible ...

That's a lot of trucks, buses and boats running from the 1950's to today - maybe a few million around the world ...

In Mexico where the temps are even hotter, they run straight SAE 50 in the 2-stroke buss motors
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find many owners manuals specifying one oil, and one oil only, they usually have a temp chart, and 10w40 is often there.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
There is a tag under the bonnet of my Peugeot that specifically says to use Total Quartz 7000 10w40 Semi-Synthetic

That said, it would probably run a lot better on M1 or GC 0W-40.
wink.gif

i have to owner's manuals for my car, a small owners manual that is very basic, and a haynes manual, the small manual has a chart that goes from 10w30 to 20w50, but the haynes manual has no chart and only says to use 10w40/20w40/20w50

My GM owners manual says to use either 10W-30 or 15W-40 in either A3/B3 or A3/B4. That's it.

I take it to mean any A3 Euro oil in 30 grade or 40 grade is acceptable.

In Oz, 15W-40 A3/B3 is a mineral oil, 10W-40 A3/B4 is a semi-synthetic and 5W-40 or 0W-40 A3/B4 is a full synthetic. I've pretty much tried them all, but if you follow the sales 10W-40 A3/B4 semi-synthetic tends to give you the best bang for your buck. Last week Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 A3/B4 semi-synthetic was only $20 for 5L. Full synthetic M1 0W-40 usually costs $100 for 5L.

My local shop uses Valvoline DuraBlend 10W-40 A3/B4 semi-synthetic as it's bulk oil. They do a lot of business, and I guess that maybe close to half the cars on the road around me right now have 10W-40 DuraBlend (or similar) in their sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
My GM owners manual says to use either 10W-30 or 15W-40 in either A3/B3 or A3/B4. That's it.

GM, at least at one time, would warn regularly against 10w-40, probably because some of them were so poor years ago, with a lower HTHS limit and so forth. Did such warnings ever appear in GMs down under? Now, of course, the 10w-40 options should be much better, but they're still obviously not an option in a North American GM manual.

I've seen a few OM's saying to use anything from 5w30-20w50, but nothing domestic specifically calling for a 10w40.

A UK memeber here says they spec a 15w40 for the 4.0 in the Cherokee, but a 5w40 with colder temps. I'm sure there is a lot of other non US spec's like this though.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I don't think you'll find many owners manuals specifying one oil, and one oil only, they usually have a temp chart, and 10w40 is often there.

My two Italian beasts (Err, I mean Fiat) only specify Selenia 20K for one (gasoline) and Selenia Turbo diesel for the other ; these are two 10W40 oils (even if Selenia turbo diesel was a 15W40 in the past).
And yes, they run better with 0W40 or 5W40, I unfortunately don't live in Italy and climate here is not the same!

Other cars have a more useful and/or less partial oil/temp chart, I prefer that.

I bought a mid 70s Dodge with a Slant 6 that called for a 10-40. However, I started using M1 5-20 in 1978 and the engine performed much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
Maybe back in the day, seems many current owners manuals recommend one grade. The manual for my Accord calls for 0w20 for all temps. No subs listed for any circumstance. My previous Accord called for 5w20 but was back spec'd for 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: SR5

GM, at least at one time, would warn regularly against 10w-40, probably because some of them were so poor years ago, with a lower HTHS limit and so forth. Did such warnings ever appear in GMs down under? Now, of course, the 10w-40 options should be much better, but they're still obviously not an option in a North American GM manual.

No mention of 10W-40 in the owners manual, positive or negative.

I would never use an old school 10W-40 mineral oil with it's heavy VII load, but I have never seen one for sale on the shelves, so it's a moot point. Most of the 10W-40 oils for sale here are name brand semi-synthetics, with A3/B4 spec. I have no problem using that in my car.

I only know of two full synthetics 10W-40s here, Nulon and STP, which are both second tier brands IMO.

My focus has recently shifted to 30 grade oils, but at $20 for 5L of Shell Helix 10W-40 A3/B4, I had to grab some....they were almost giving it away.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
There is a tag under the bonnet of my Peugeot that specifically says to use Total Quartz 7000 10w40 Semi-Synthetic

That said, it would probably run a lot better on M1 or GC 0W-40.
wink.gif

Please explain using data rather than rhetoric exactly how and in what way this little Pug would run better using a 0W-XX.
Avoid thoroughly debunked truisms like "better start up lubrication".
The only better running that I can see using one of the oils you suggest would be the rate at which Euros would run out of the OP's pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back