Let's talk brake rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on our 2008 Honda CRV. I need to replace the rear rotors along with pads since there making noise. Does brand really matter? Obviously I want them to last.

Thanks

You may or may not need to replace them. Many people just do a pad slap if the rotors look good (the surface is pretty flat) and there was no pulsation.

You need not spend a lot on rotors. Get good quality rotors and excellent pads. I go for Akebono Pro-X Ceramic if available.

What sound are the brakes making

Yeah, brake rotors are cheap these days. Get on Rock Auto and buy Centrics or Raybestos for ~$40 each.

Pretty much all of them are manufactured in China these days. I like the Centrics on my Acura TL front and rear. OEM is overpriced and won't last any longer than the Centric stuff from Amazon, IMO.

Agreed.

I've always heard, even through racing circles that you buy average rotors and above average pads.

The only major difference you'll find with brake rotors is the more premium brands will have better anti corrosion.

Long term, they may hold up slightly better, but there shouldn't be much difference, and daily driver braking performance wont change.

I just put in a pair of front Wearever rotors from AAP, $58.09 before tax on a 2008 Honda Accord. Used code trt41 and add a CQ oil filter. I use Wagner ThermoQuiet QC787 Ceramic Disc Brake Pad I had sitting around since 2014 which I got for $17.71. Total with tax $80.38. OEM rotors had pulsation/vibration when braking. New rotors and pads solved that.

Last year, I put on the same front Wearever rotors and ACDelco pads on my 04 MDX. Still works great. Cost was $86.36.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
What is wrong with the $87 OEM?

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/
Uh, what? Who would pay $87 for a rotor?

Centric Premium rotors are $33 on Amazon and Raybestos Professional Grade rotors are $26.

I'd pay $90 (and have done so). Works first time, no issues with thin chinese pot metal. As long as they last >100k along with the pads (ideally much longer) I'm fine with it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You may or may not need to replace them. Many people just do a pad slap if the rotors look good (the surface is pretty flat) and there was no pulsation.

You need not spend a lot on rotors. Get good quality rotors and excellent pads. I go for Akebono Pro-X Ceramic if available.

What sound are the brakes making

The passenger rotor had a what look like a burn mark around the rotor. I inspected the pads and the trailing edge was flaking off. I cleaned both the rotor and pads but the noise came back two days later.

I don't know about aftermarket brake rotors but my experience with aftermarket brake drums was such that they were junk -- ill-fitting and fast-rusting.

I use OEM as a minimum, and typically try to get better than OEM brake parts. Better varies depending on what you are looking for. OE is typically pretty well optimized for general use.

I have a 2008 accord which is known for rear brake issues.
I went through 2 sets of duralast rotors before I bought the centric premium rotors with painted hats.
They have been doing great no issues.
I am using duralast cmax pads on front and rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back