BIG difference in same FRAM air filter!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is odd...

Took the three year plus ol air filter out my Dad's 2005 Ram 1500 and put in a new one as part of a tune up prior to driving it to my house. He's parapalegic and wont be needing it any more.

The filter depth was waaay different. CA9401. (THE OLD ONE IS ON TOP)

Are you sure the old one is not a WIX? They use orange seals also.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo= CA9401

Their specs show it being almost 2 inches high/thick. However, the Fram site also lists the height as 2 inches.

Is the correct number stamped on the actual filter (someone stuck wrong filter in box)? Only other guess is that this is a filter that Fram does not make, but sources from others and their supplier has changed.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Anyone here have access to the "Orange phone" to ask FRAM? Sending them the picture would expedite the question.

And of note, the Fram box for the new (shallower) filter was as deep enough so as tol hold the old deeper filter. Hmmm, curious.

I quit buying Fram air filters when I noticed my application was made in China.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I quit buying Fram air filters when I noticed my application was made in China.

crackmeup2.gif

Cost cutting, or were the filters switched? I bet the latter....and that the smaller filter is less expensive. Time to return it....

and...time to keep the old filter another 20k at least.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Cost cutting, or were the filters switched? I bet the latter....and that the smaller filter is less expensive. Time to return it....

and...time to keep the old filter another 20k at least.

+1

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
According to a review on Amazon some filters went from being made in Canada to being made in Mexico with a shorter element.

I bet the price to you in the store for the Mexican filter is the same as the Canadian filter was. Obligatory Ross Perot comment.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
According to a review on Amazon some filters went from being made in Canada to being made in Mexico with a shorter element.

I bet the price to you in the store for the Mexican filter is the same as the Canadian filter was. Obligatory Ross Perot comment.
That is the truth and nothing but greed and screw the stupid customer corporate mentality.

One more reason to use some form of a restriction gauge to help you decide when to change the air filter out. You never know when the filter manufacture changes the design of the filter to save money(per filter) or to let it fit more vehicles(more cars with the same part no.) all in the name to save a buck.

ROD

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
More cost cutting by putting less media in the filter I'm guessing.

Agree.

Agreed.

We have in Europe all FRAM filters from China.
And I am afraid that (for example) CA9997 (from China) is not Extra Guard series filter, only the same p/n...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back