Shell oils with PurePlus technology: any feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: slybunda
according to uoas done the shell oils seem to shear down real fast.
anyone else had this issue?

It would be good if you could provide some links to UOA examples of Ultra vs other full synthetics.
Oddly enough I've never noticed much difference between the rates at which different full synthetics of the same SAE group sheared.

My last run of Ultra 5w40 for 17K km in my 1.9 TDI finished up with the 100c viscosity at 12.52 cSt, which was the highest figure I've had so far.

What was diesel dilution ?

Zero.
The other 5w40 full synthetics finished up between 12.2 and 12.4 cSt, so Ultra seems to stay in grade better than the others.

Your name really makes it difficult to believe there isn't a bias

Zero diesel dilution (and FAME dilution) over 17k km sounds a little suspect but I have no idea how you drive it.

It would be good if you could provide some links to UOA examples of Ultra vs other full synthetics.
Oddly enough I've never noticed much difference between the rates at which different full synthetics of the same SAE group sheared.

I have a little experience with this.
Same brand and grade oil, the difference between them was an early formulation v a reformulated oil. Both were/are known to be genuine full synthetic.
The reformulation occurred in 2005 with the new oil being advertised as having more shear stability.
It also received a new product designation with the new formulation.
For all intents and purposes the oils otherwise appeared to be virtually identical looking at the manufacturers published TDS and VOA's undertaken by me.

UOA's would reveal the earlier oil would consistently shear down to be just within grade at the top end, and still in grade at the bottom end over the typical OCI.
With the later reformulated version, the inverse situation occurs with the oil easily staying in grade at the top end, and just dropping out of grade at the bottom end over the same OCI.
Usage patterns did not vary over the 8000 km OCI's.

So it can happen at both ends of the nominated grade.

In this case, I can only assume the basestock was the major change leading to the difference in performance.

Last edited:
That's good to know.
I am currently trying some Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 in my fiancé's Merc with the relevant spec being Mercedes Benz 229.5.
The previous oil was the preferred brand used by the new mechanic we are using for the Merc. It was using a fair amount of his oil between services where the car has never previously used any discernable amount of oil.
Upon further investigation the oil the mechanic was using was approved for Mercedes Benz 229.51 spec.
Hence I initiated the change to the latest Shell oil which he was happy to use if I supplied it.

Another near new vehicle we have is on it's factory fill of Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40.

I am keen to discover more about this oil in the fullness of time.

Originally Posted By: Ducman

I have a little experience with this.
Same brand and grade oil, the difference between them was an early formulation v a reformulated oil. Both were/are known to be genuine full synthetic.
The reformulation occurred in 2005 with the new oil being advertised as having more shear stability.
It also received a new product designation with the new formulation.
For all intents and purposes the oils otherwise appeared to be virtually identical looking at the manufacturers published TDS and VOA's undertaken by me.

UOA's would reveal the earlier oil would consistently shear down to be just within grade at the top end, and still in grade at the bottom end over the typical OCI.
With the later reformulated version, the inverse situation occurs with the oil easily staying in grade at the top end, and just dropping out of grade at the bottom end over the same OCI.
Usage patterns did not vary over the 8000 km OCI's.

So it can happen at both ends of the nominated grade.

In this case, I can only assume the basestock was the major change leading to the difference in performance.

Base stocks rarely shear. VII does.

The new formulation was probably using a more shear stable VII

My experience in S60, 2 liters inline 5-cyl engine with turbo - without UOA: it was performing well, nothing special comparing with Castrol Magnatec 5W40 in terms of oil burning: 1 quart per 5K miles.

(My only worry is the packaging: the available canisters have no sealing under the screw cap - nothing. Only the cap: it's a 'cheap oil' or 'aftermarket oil' inside sign for me.)

There's a thin layer of some plastic soft stuff on the inside of the cap
smile.gif

But yes, I use Shell products a lot and they are quite prone to leaking, you have to tighten as hard as you can).
I find the general design of the jugs not very practical compared to Total or Motul, but fortunately that doen't mean anything about the product quelity!

I am currently using Shell Helix Ultra 0w-40 in two of my Saabs - my trusty 900 turbo 16 (model year 1985, 590000km), any a newly aquired 9-5 2.0t (model year 2003, 175000km).

HU 0w-40 can be head incredibly cheap - 5 Liters for just 20€. That's cheaper than most grpIII 5w-40, and about in the price range for a decent 10w-40. (Not many 10w-40 with MB 229.3, though.)
It is, however, also much cheaper than Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40, which I did not find for under 30€.
The 5w-40 also sports more certifications (BMW LL-01, MB 229.6, Ferrari, PSA B71 2296).
Which makes me wonder whether the 5w-40 might in fact be the better oil. Or this just company politics?

Can somebody please explain?

it was my second choice, in 5w30 A3/B4 variety

http://www.motoroel100.de/epages/62593035.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62593035/Products/%22Shell%20Helix%20Ultra%205W-30%205L%22

Spezifikationen/Freigaben:

API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
BMW LL-01
MB Approval 229.5, 226.5
VW 502.00/505.00
RENAULT RN 0700, 0710
Meets the engine test requirements of API SN/CF

don't forget that some certifications only allow certain viscosities, so a 0w-40 might not apply where a 5w-40 does

Jetronic,

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

SHU 5W-30 indeed is very cheap and has some nice approvals. However, the pour point is not so great (I compare with Valvoline SynPower 5W-30) and everyone around says that it (SHU) shears rather quickkly ...

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I thought GTL base were good at shear resistance? (but not that good as far as pour point is concerned)

It isn't the base that shears, it is the VII's.

Should have written, "GTL based Shell oils" instead
laugh.gif

I have read good reviews of SHU 5W40 keeping up with shearing, so usually 5W30 are even better, guess I'm wrong.

Don't know about the SHU 0W40, I'll know a little more after a uoa. I found some voa where SHU 0W40 was barely a 40..

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Jetronic,

SHU 5W-30 indeed is very cheap and has some nice approvals. However, the pour point is not so great (I compare with Valvoline SynPower 5W-30) and everyone around says that it (SHU) shears rather quickkly ...

GTL by itself doesn't have great pour points, so that's what you're seeing there. I bet synpower will be partly PAO.

Shear and noise concerns was the main reason I didn't get SHU, despite the lower price. But my car only requires 2.9 HTHS so I can allow some shearing, and some fuel dilution. I just prefer to only deal with one of those...

Last edited:
Jetronic,

I bet synpower will be partly PAO.

I guess so. In german websites it is marked as 'vollsynthetisch'. Also, in Europe I was not able to find a 5W-30 A3/B4/MB229.5 oil with a better pour point.

Shear and noise concerns was the main reason I didn't get SHU, despite the lower price. But my car only requires 2.9 HTHS so I can allow some shearing, and some fuel dilution. I just prefer to only deal with one of those...

I did not hear about fuel dilution problem with SHU. Can you please eleborate on that?

no problem with SHU itself, but rather with a DPF equipped diesel

if SHU shears down to say 3.2 THS in use, it would still be enough but wouldn't allow as much fuel dilution as a 3.5 or above hths oil for my application

for a ower pour point look at elf excellium full-tech 0w-30. -54°C

and then look at the exact same oil branded total, total quartz energy 9000 0w-30 and spot the 1 typo in the PDS....

also look at the MSDS for the total oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back