2009 Harley Superglide...barhopper !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Immediately, as in now, check cam chain tensioner shoes!

+100 I had a 2006 Dyna Lowrider. You should check the cam tensioner shoes at about 20-25,000 miles. You drop the front exhaust pipe and pull the right cam cover off. Not a big job as the gasket costs about $10. But it is important to check both sides. If you get a $2 dental mirror you can see the inside one and no disassambly is needed beyond that. But do also get a new donut gasket for the exhaust pipe. Yo will lose about 4oz of oil when you remove the cover.

If you are really handy while you are in there you can check the runout on your crankshaft with a dial indicator. Probably a good idea.

If you don't want to check them...then at least cut your oil filter open and look for shards of orange/yellow plastic in the filter pleats. IF YOU SEE ANY OF THIS YOU NEED TO DRIVE YOUR BIKE TO A DEALER AND HAVE THEM REPLACE THE TENSIONER SHOES RIGHT AWAY.

Not a hater joke...just a fact with the TC engine design.

Oh yeah...put gear oil in the trans. Any gear oil will do and it will go 15-20,000 miles between changes.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
No, actually, straight from a Harley lover that is NOT blind to their faults!

In 2007 the twin cam engine got a hydraulic shoe tensioner, bigger oil pump, 96 cubic inches and I believe the six speed, but that may have been the year before. The tensioner shoes aren't an issue anymore as they should last until the first top end rebuild at 75-100K miles.

My 2006 got the new tensioner & oil pump at the factory BUT the root cause of the shoe wear is crankshaft runout as the TC has a pressed and pinned crankshaft. Some have so much runout that then make an eliptical motion and cause the cam chain tensioner to loosen and tighten and the tensioner shoes to slap against the chain ever so slightly with every rotation.

This wears the shoes prematurely and can cause the shoes to shed debris into the oil. Those engines employ really small oil jets that cool the underside of the pistons and if they ingest debris or you get the debris into the cam bearings you have bigger issues. OR if you wear the shoe completely off...you go metal to metal onto the chain with the tensioner shoe bracket and shed metal into the oil system and it's bye-bye time for your TC motor.

So it is still a good Idea to check them.

BTW the 96" is just a stroked TC88

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
14mcu4j.jpg

Very pretty....My FXDLI was vivid black too....
01.gif

Thanks guys. DOOG, I'm planning on checking the shoes and crankshaft runout at 30,000 miles. It just rolled over 22,000 miles a couple days ago. From what I've read, the upgraded shoes and hydraulic tensioners have improved the durability in later model TC engines, though I have read some fail early and some run for 50,000 plus miles with no problem.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
No, actually, straight from a Harley lover that is NOT blind to their faults!

In 2007 the twin cam engine got a hydraulic shoe tensioner, bigger oil pump, 96 cubic inches and I believe the six speed, but that may have been the year before. The tensioner shoes aren't an issue anymore as they should last until the first top end rebuild at 75-100K miles.

You buy a $15,000+ motorcycle...and take for granted that you'll need a top-end overhaul before 100k. Absolutely incredible, just jaw-dropping.

I inspected a 2010 Limited with 65K and tensioners were fine. The only one I have found bad was an 05 at 45k. Just replaced them and he's out riding again. I have only known of two that went bad and they had the old spring tensioners. One stock and the other with 95 kit with high lift cams installed when new. Both were over 40k miles. My old 04 has over 60k with stock tensioners and looked fine at 60k.

Took my wife out to dinner for her first ride on the Superglide, and happy to report that she really likes it. Rode about 50 miles on mostly country roads. She was concerned that she might not feel as secure on the smaller seat with no 'wrap around' arm/backrests like those on the EG. She said she really likes the sound of the Superglide as well. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: hal26
Do you really think that tiny Suzuki ricer will make 100K?

Absolutely. There are several riders with high miles on the Burgman USA forum...one has 179,000 on his!

Bergman is a great scooter. I ride with a 650 and a 400. They never bash any of the other bikes or give advice about out what they read on the internet. Both have owned big touring bikes in the past.

I like the big displacement scooters like the Bergman, not my cup of tea but they're alright in my book. I think BMW is making a 650cc one now? I'm also watching the early evolution of electric bikes like the Zero's. Then there is Honda with the Dual Clutch automatics. The two wheel world is changing.

After owning one week, I've put 620 miles on the Superglide. So far no parts have fallen off, it hasn't marked it's spot on the garage floor yet, and the oil level is spot on full. Rode quite a lot of Interstate miles yesterday for the first time, and the 6 speed transmission really allows the engine to run at a relaxed pace and still has plenty of power at 70/75 to pull hard when rolling on the throttle. I'm still adjusting to the 6 speed for in town and country road riding. Fourth and fifth gears seem to be the ones to use between 45 and 60 mph, and never touch 6th below 60 mph.

After owning one week, I've put 620 miles on the Superglide. So far no parts have fallen off, it hasn't marked it's spot on the garage floor yet, and the oil level is spot on full. Rode quite a lot of Interstate miles yesterday for the first time, and the 6 speed transmission really allows the engine to run at a relaxed pace and still has plenty of power at 70/75 to pull hard when rolling on the throttle. I'm still adjusting to the 6 speed for in town and country road riding. Fourth and fifth gears seem to be the ones to use between 45 and 60 mph, and never touch 6th below 60 mph.

So HD finally figured out what gaskets and lock washers are for? Let's all give them a standing ovation. It only took them 100 years to figure it out. Now if only they could figure out how to design an engine that isn't sorely underpowered, and a chassis that doesn't handle like a dump truck, then maybe they'll finally be operating in the 21st century....

Originally Posted By: grampi

So HD finally figured out what gaskets and lock washers are for? Let's all give them a standing ovation. It only took them 100 years to figure it out. Now if only they could figure out how to design an engine that isn't sorely underpowered, and a chassis that doesn't handle like a dump truck, then maybe they'll finally be operating in the 21st century....

Grampi maybe time to take your meds. Your rambling again.

Originally Posted By: dr2152

Is it rambling, or is it the truth? If it was rambling you probably wouldn't care...

Oh come on, it's a Harley thread, no need for thrashing, don't like it don't read it.
Coming from a Suzuki owner so no 'fanboy' comments please.

Originally Posted By: dr2152

Is it rambling, or is it the truth? If it was rambling you probably wouldn't care...

Rambling and your doctor would care. Put the rocket on the trailer and go for a ride.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Oh come on, it's a Harley thread, no need for thrashing, don't like it don't read it.
Coming from a Suzuki owner so no 'fanboy' comments please.

No Suzuki, Triumph now...

'No Suzuki, Triumph now...'

Grampi, Did you get a new bike? Love the Triumphs! How about some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back