German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
after having high lead with Mobil 10-30 (just one UOA so nothing definitive) I was thinking my 8.ll may like a thicker oil like Mobil Delvac 5-40 but cannot find any in Newnan only the delvac 1300 (15w40) but I did find some GC at the AutoZone, it is slightly thicker and it does not change as much with temperature so easier to pump when cold (important moving into winter even in GA) I bought 8 enough for a 7qt change and 1 makeup in between they have a few more GC and standard yellow

I got 2 quarts of the tag785 and 6 quarts of the t/w05482

I still have a few k left to go on the current oil and then 3k on the CG before I can get analysis results (estimate sometime in December)

I would assume the first run if a new oil cannot be trusted?: because the additives of the old and new fight and there is leftover of the old oil and old wear particles? is the second run of the new oil enough time to get good readings or does it need to be carried out further? I have a few different oils I want to try but it could take quite a wile to get through them all at that rate

I cracked open one of the bottles and this stuff looks and smells like no other
gr_eek2.gif

If BMW "fixed" the blowing-up engine problem, then why the 10-60 recommendation? Why don't they just stick with the 5-30 now that the problem is fixed???

Doug, can you comment on what was wrong with the VW using the SLX? How many miles was it used for? Did your consumption go up by using it after the Castrol R 10-60? Do you remember if the SLX was A3 rated back in `96?

Raven, drop me a e-mail if you'd like to know where to guy Delvac-1 in Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back