04 Z06 Stock LS6, 70k Miles, 12k OCI, M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Blackstone UOA. Have put 30k on this car in the past two years. Added 2 qts. over this OCI. Oil life monitor was @ 8%, was a few hundred miles over 12k. Plan to return to 7500k OCI, but the results were interesting. Thoughts?

cGaAQUp.png

That is excellent. I run the same oil. With only a 6ish quart capacity on the LS6 I would not take their advice to extend it further without TBN/TAN. Even then, you've gone so far beyond a normal change. The engine actually has a pretty easy life when being driven normally, it's pushing a very light vehicle around.

How much WOT does that engine see?

Good UOA results there.
Has the KV@100*C of 14.26 cSt thickened up?
Ever consider M1 xW50 to deal with oil consumption and stay on 12K mi?
blush.gif

M1 0w40 is a good oil with which to try a 12k mile oil change interval. I wouldn't follow Blackstone's advice to extend to 14k, though. Keep it at 12k and have them do a TBN analysis on the next oil sample. Two quarts oil consumption in 12k miles is pretty good; I wouldn't go to a different oil to try and get lower consumption.

Last edited:
7,500 max
1 year max OCI

5w30 Full Synthetic

Are you in any competitions with this car? Like the drag strip or any other closed courses? If so, I have no recommendation. Good of you to keep an eye on the oil level!

forget TBN/TAN and find out the actual condition of the oil. Use a lab that will do oxidation, nitration, sulfation, etc.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
forget TBN/TAN and find out the actual condition of the oil. Use a lab that will do oxidation, nitration, sulfation, etc.

Not saying that those 3 markers are not better than TBN. But the proof is in the pudding. Blackstones UOA'sinmy experience are the most consistant and unless the UOA turns up bad why bother even with TBN. The engine isn't going to sludge up at 12K miles.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Not saying that those 3 markers are not better than TBN. But the proof is in the pudding. Blackstones UOA'sinmy experience are the most consistant and unless the UOA turns up bad why bother even with TBN. The engine isn't going to sludge up at 12K miles.

TBN tells you nothing about the condition of the base oil. Your oil can be breaking down and still have a good TBN number. Ignorance is bliss is not equivalent to the proof is in the pudding.

Previous OCI was 10k/1 Year. Drove a little bit more last summer, so I stretched things a bit.

As previously mentioned, I'll probably change @ 7,500. Heading from Detroit to Charleston in July and will change before then for piece of mind.

I was previously working from home, but am now driving 30~ miles per day for work. It is my daily driver as of right now. The majority of the miles were either highway, "fast road" driving, or cruising around in 4th gear and the occasional stoplight drag. No track/Auto-X miles on the car. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back