Accord Uses Oil...Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last 2 OCIs, my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 3.5L V6 has used about 1 quart in 3k miles.

Is this excessive? Should I be concerned?

My round trip to work is about 10 miles. I average around 6,500 miles annually. Most of my driving is city driving with a longer highway drive 3-4 times per month.

I currently run Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 (manual specs 5w-20) with Purolator classic oil filter. No leaks of any kind and the car runs well.

Note - the car has seen conventional 5w-20 OCIs every 4,500 - 6,500 miles its entire life by the Honda dealer and local lube & tire shop. I purchased the Accord with 63k on the odometer and used Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 since then.

Would like your thoughts.

Thanks!

nah, I wouldn't use the puro classics unless they are the updated models. Especially if using a syn oil. I would upgrade to a fram ultra or the similar. Considering the miles you do annually I would change it out yearly or even change the oil yearly and filter every other.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
nah, I wouldn't use the puro classics unless they are the updated models. Especially if using a syn oil. I would upgrade to a fram ultra or the similar. Considering the miles you do annually I would change it out yearly or even change the oil yearly and filter every other.

I forgot to mention in the original post...I perform one OCI every fall.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
For the last 2 OCIs, my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 3.5L V6 has used about 1 quart in 3k miles.

Nope and nope. You could try a thicker oil, or even just 5w20 to see if that would help. But 1qt/3k is not worrisome.

Try a can of Kreen (Kano Labs) 100 miles before your next oil change. If it's partially stuck rings, they should come free and start working better.

You could also try a big shot of Beak Free gun solvent down each spark plug hole. Let it sit overnight. Reinstall plugs and fire it up. Idle for 10 minutes, shut down and change oil & filter.

Either, or both will help a ring issue. If it's just accumulated wear, they will not help. But won't hurt either so it's not much to loose...

Honestly, I would not worry about 1 qt/3K. I'd maybe switch up a grade on oil and keep an eye on it
smile.gif

My round trip to work is about 10 miles. I average around 6,500 miles annually. Most of my driving is city driving with a longer highway drive 3-4 times per month.

I currently run Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 (manual specs 5w-20) with Purolator classic oil filter. No leaks of any kind and the car runs well.

Note - the car has seen conventional 5w-20 OCIs every 4,500 - 6,500 miles its entire life by the Honda dealer and local lube & tire shop. I purchased the Accord with 63k on the odometer and used Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 since then.

Would like your thoughts.

Thanks!

Check the crank case vent (CCV) is working and move up to a 5w30 HM oil.

Are you aware of Honda VCM issues?
Look it up... and make sure you are wearing a diaper when you do.
I would check the spark plugs.
Also deactivate the VCM function. Thank me later.

Brybo is correct.
You didn't do anything wrong.
Changing oil filter brands, and other suggestions like that won't help.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's perfectly normal for a 20 weight oil. If you want the engine to last longer, step up to 30 weight.

Plenty of people run 20 weight with no consumption, so your assertion (once again) is wrong and the loss of oil can be attributed to something else, which others have identified.

I have 10,500 miles on my B2300 oil fill and have yet to add oil.

Last edited:
Top off with a high mileage oil like Maxlife, replace pcv valve snd say a few prayers. It worked on my Accord of course the sooner you do something the better. If it's been on going for a while then probably no hope.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Plenty of people run 20 weight with no consumption, so your assertion (once again) is wrong and the loss of oil can be attributed to something else, which others have identified.

I have 10,500 miles on my B2300 oil fill and have yet to add oil.

But the 20 weight oil is definitely not DECREASING the chances of oil consumption!

I hate to say this, but this generation J35 with VCM is known to drink oil. Many of them consume 1 quart per 1000 miles. There was a warranty extension on these engines but you have to be consuming near 1 quart per 1000 miles before Honda considers it "excessive" and warrants a new short block and rings. You didn't do anything wrong (unless you have been romping on it before its warmed up), its just a flaw in these early J35's with VCM. The early K24's of this generation also had oil consumption issues. Honda says this is due to low quality fuel and not letting the engine warm up before driving it hard. Honestly if I were you I would call corporate and at the very least have the issue documented. They are WELL aware of the oil consumption issues so don't let them play dumb.

Disable the VCM with a MUZZLER II, about $55. Google Honda Pilot and Odyssey VCM delete. I did this to my 2010 Odyssey, and have no regrets. I run 0w-40 with great results.

1) Check PCV valve, replace if needed.

2) Step up to Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 at next oil change. I'd also recommend a better filter. A FRAM Tough Guard or Ultra would be great.

Is this excessive?

Yes.
Should I be concerned?

I could say "no, this is normal" just to repeat what other are saying. Many of us would do ridiculous things just to be "as all other". But I'll say: yes, this is a problem. Just THINK what could be the reason of oil consumption. Think, and everything will be much clearer:
Reasons:
0. Leaking oil pan gasket or nut.
1. Clogged PCV valve. Is it normal to have it clogged?
2. Worn valve seals. Is it normal? But I think that this is not your case.
3. Clogged oil drainage holes in the pistons.
4. Clogged piston rings.

I would check PCV first. But I am 99% sure that it is more or less fine. The reason of your troubles is in deposits on pistons.
There are a number of solutions. All of them are against "local rules" since people in case of problems prefer to change the thickness and oil brand. This sounds like to treat cancer by eating chocolate yougurt twice a day, but let it be. So my personal proposals are:
1. After a quart of oil is consumed add a quart of transmission fluid. Drive for about 500-1000 miles.
2. Add deposit control staff into your oil. My favorite is this VitaFlush, but regular STP could work too. I just did not try STP myself. Also I consider MMO as useless staff.
3. Change oil and forget about Pennzoil Platinum. Use Pennzoil Yellow, Mobil Super, Castrol GTX. These Group II oils have better additives holding.
4. Change oil each 5k miles. This is cheap, don't play in stupid game "who runs on oil longer". Winner will get a prize of destroyed engine.
If these steps did not let reduce oil consumption to more or less reputable half of quart per 5k miles, you may try this staff for piston rings.
And if this does not work, you have something more serious than all these reasons. Visit a good mechanic or drive as is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back