need help from the collective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been 4 months and not a penny from insurance. This is the new normal from all insurance companies that are protected from lawsuits.

I've been trying to negotiate but they don't give a flip. They gave me a low garbage offer and that is that. I feel sorry for most people who lose their main/only transportation and just have to take it.

I'm going to take them to small claims. I've got to get a 200 dollar appraisal, estimates from shops, compatibles. A bunch of work. I'm not sure how I'm going to get estimates when its mostly fixed.

"I didn't have it insured on my end. Because I'm an excellent driver and didn't think I needed it."

Somehow on BITOG this kind of attitude doesn't surprise me one bit!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
My two cents is move on. Think of all the money you've saved over the years in not paying for collision coverage. I have driven for decades without collision on various old cars, and I just assume that once in awhile I'll have to pay for something. The aggravation, costs, and hassle of fighting it in court are not worth it.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted By: CKN
My two cents is move on. Think of all the money you've saved over the years in not paying for collision coverage. I have driven for decades without collision on various old cars, and I just assume that once in awhile I'll have to pay for something. The aggravation, costs, and hassle of fighting it in court are not worth it.

I can see you don't know me very well. I like to get up in people's grills. I don't get aggravated. I dish out aggravation.

Have you ever been to court? It's a rush.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I can see you don't know me very well. I like to get up in people's grills. I don't get aggravated. I dish out aggravation.

Have you ever been to court? It's a rush.

I now insurance companies very well....they are not going to roll over for you....it will be the opposite effect. Good luck going up against deep pockets....your going to need it.

You've got to have some people go against them for the good of everyone. Else they keep turning the screws to people. There have been some big class actions to back them off.

I doubt the judge will award me less than they're offering. If that's they way it turns out, the rest is all entertainment value.

"I didn't have it insured on my end. Because I'm an excellent driver and didn't think I needed it."

Somehow on BITOG this kind of attitude doesn't surprise me one bit!

It sure shouldn't, especially from a guy who claims to "dish out aggravation"!

Its been 4 months and not a penny from insurance. This is the new normal from all insurance companies that are protected from lawsuits.

I've been trying to negotiate but they don't give a flip. They gave me a low garbage offer and that is that. I feel sorry for most people who lose their main/only transportation and just have to take it.

I'm going to take them to small claims. I've got to get a 200 dollar appraisal, estimates from shops, compatibles. A bunch of work. I'm not sure how I'm going to get estimates when its mostly fixed.

It's just an old junker and not worth the time and effort. Sell it to someone who actually knows what they're doing and can fix it correctly or can use it for parts. The pictures clearly indicate that it wasn't all that great before the accident-hardly a classic or pristine vehicle.

I didn't have it insured on my end. Because I'm an excellent driver and didn't think I needed it.

A brilliant, strategic move on your part. How's it working out for you?

No matter how nice I get it it'll never be a 40k car like many I see advertised.

My attempts at blending with rattle cans needs more work.

A rattle can paint job should most certainly help bring it to that 40K mark!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
[

It's just an old junker and not worth the time and effort. Sell it to someone who actually knows what they're doing and can fix it correctly or can use it for parts. The pictures clearly indicate that it wasn't all that great before the accident-hardly a classic or pristine vehicle.

!

Yep, maybe I'll just take the 3900 and put another 1100 in and buy this one. Its a nice one!

s-l400.jpg

trans am se

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
The police have automatic plate readers with numeric recognition software so they can catch you a day late with your registration while the policeman eats in his car. Why not enforce the laws we have?

What is needed is VIGOROUS enforcement of cell phone and texting (distracted driving) laws. It's been bad for well over 15 years. You see crinkled hoods and front ends all over the place.

Pal at a red light in NC was slammed by a texter going 45 mph. Ohh yeah, he said he was sorry.

Always keep repair records and have them ready to print out. A man hit my car while parked. His insurance offered $0.75. I produced over $3,000 in receipts which the insurance company paid in full.

Always keep receipts. Kira

How did said friend not lean over and knock him out?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Good to hear your injuries were not too serious.

I mean, everyone here knows how big a pain in the rear I am. They don't know what's coming. And I've got plenty of it to spread around for a long time to come.

The wife said get a lawyer. Naw, lawyers are reasonable people.

Definitely get what you deserve and then some. The stupid, texting kid should be severely punished for his/her stupidity, and the most effective method seems to be getting hit hard by a law suit.

Except he is probably a turnip: as in, you can't get blood from one. He'll probably just shrug, and either walk away or declare bankrupcy.

That's about the extent of it.
I have sued two people in small claims court representing myself and have gotten verdicts in my favor both times.
However, I have a 50% success rate in getting the money out of them.
If this is a kid with little to nothing, he will file a bankruptcy the first time you slap a wage garnish on him.

Ruining that kid's credit history for a minimum of two years, maybe up to seven? Worth it!

The complaint about the insurance appraiser was sent to the auto damage appraiser licensing board in mid September and I've not heard anything. I wrote them a follow-up letter on Monday. My lawsuit is being defended by Weston Patrick a high dollar Boston firm. They're too busy to make the Jan 3 date and I've assented to a continuation to the end of March. So I'm at a year without getting a penny.

In the meantime I'm researching where to get my appraisal which will probably run up to $500. I need a valuation and I need a damage estimate. I believe that's two separate bills. No shops around want to waste time on an old car that's been totaled.

I'm going to file a motion to ask that the defendant produce his texting records.

Discovery is not allowed in MA small claims.

I put everything together and I'm coming up with 16k in damage versus their 3400 estimate.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Texting is the worst. I would be furious. Get off the [censored] phone!

When I see the person behind me on their phone I worry they're going to rear end me, always worrying about it because people in my parts do it habitually.

The auto damage appraisal board refused to take action against the appraiser. A appeals court decision came out a few days before the meeting which apparently they feel weakens the Mass law on total loss evaluation. I think they're just being lazy.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2017/01/20/439434.htm

Mass has all the consumer protection laws but they are rarely enforced.

The whole thing now hinges on the court case I'm preparing.

Last edited:
Sorry about the loss.

How much is it to insure fully as classic? The $3400 is great offer for old running car but not a "classic".

I keep full collision on old vehicles as they take care of at fault or not at fault chasing of money etc.

I put everything together and I'm coming up with 16k in damage versus their 3400 estimate.

Your car wasn't worth nowhere near 16K before it got wreaked. That's CLEAN early 70's Ram Air 400 money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back