New ford escape ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i bring my 2016 ford escape home,with the 2.5 liter engine. Im reading the manual and it says it has this oil life monitoring system and dont need to change oil untill it comes on. Im at 3,000 miles on a brand new engine? Do i go buy this thing or do the first one early? Not sure what to do? Id appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone.

I always change early, but that's just me. You know in the rental fleets they go by teh book and their engines seem to hold up ...

I'm a believer that it is possible that some metallic bits were left in the engine. Or, that break-in has left some microscopic iron particles moving around the system. So I drain the oil. Install a new filter and install a magnetic drain plug. After a few changes, if that magnet has not picked up anything, I'd be more than happy to run the OLM down to say 30% or so.

In no case would I go over a year, or over say 8,000 miles. It would just be peace of mind to know it was fresh and ready to go.

But, if that magent picks up stuff, I'd stay on early changes (say 5,000) until the iron/steel particle volume diminished to nada
smile.gif

The general consensus is to do the first 1 or 2 oil changes early to get the wear metals out. After a few cycles of fresh oil then take it up to the MM or whatever you feel comfortable with. If it was my car with 3,000 miles, I'd change it. Oil is cheap. :)

Your going to get a lot of different answers to tht question. I personally changed out the FF oil on my malibu at 4.2k and have been running syn since then. The owners manuel probably says to follow the OLM. My manuel in my malibu says to follow the OLM or one yr.

Last edited:
You mean you paid $3.79 for a brand new Ford Escape and you're wondering if you should change the oil at 3000 miles ? Think of how much money it's gonna cost for all that new oil. You better leave that precious factory fill in there for at least another 6000 miles. You're half way there to a nice coat of varnish for the cam phaser solenoids. No sense in letting the engine adjust valve timing like it's supposed to.

I would keep running it, the factory filter isn't a standard motorcraft filter. I have no proof its any better though.
I would run it at least 5k.
I have a 2007 freestyle with over 200k on it running mostly 10k changes with mobil 1 and fl-820s filter.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
I would run it at least 5k.

^ This.

Oil is expensive, engines are cheap. You could probably pick up a new engine at Big Lots for $7.88.

Does this have an OLM that you can check oil life on the display or do you have to run a Vehicle Health Report through SYNC?

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
At least no one from the "FACTORY OIL IS GARBAGE AND FULL OF SHRAPNEL" camp.

It's more that Factory oil BECOMES garbage as it fills with shrapnel. Id always change the FF ASAP, just on the slight off-chance that some particles were left behind from casting/machining etc.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
At least no one from the "FACTORY OIL IS GARBAGE AND FULL OF SHRAPNEL" camp.

It's more that Factory oil BECOMES garbage as it fills with shrapnel. Id always change the FF ASAP, just on the slight off-chance that some particles were left behind from casting/machining etc.

I see the point of this somewhat... Assuming a simple oil flow path, though, how does said garbage recirculate around the motor to do any damage? Shouldn't it get picked up by the pump and immediately stopped in the filter?

It doesn't make any difference. The limited amount of wear metals in new engines born of today's manufacturing precision don't cause any additional wear. The whole "particles of swarf metal shavings in the oil" is [censored] these days.

Change it now or leave it in until the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) shows the notification. Either is fine.

I know what your dealer service dept will recommend
wink.gif

I also have a 2016 Escape with the 2.5 and I changed the FF at 2600 miles. I used to change FF at 1000 but have gotten braver since joining BITOG (I also realize that machining processes have improved greatly). I wanted to run the FF 3K but an upcoming trip to Florida made me do it early.

PS: I didn't see any 'swarf' in the drained FF and felt it could have went further. I cut open the factory filter and it didn't show anything unusual either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back