Lubing new brakes and rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered this kit from Rock Auto..

Power Stop

Are those shimmed pads? If so do i need to use anything such as grease or lube on the back of them? If so what to use? Also anyone ever used CRC De Squeak spray before? Thanks!

Yeah they are shimmed. Ive installed a couple of these and I just use a very light smear of brake parts lube on the backs of the pad and the ends where they sit in the bracket.

I used blue rubber in a squirt bottle that is made to prevent squeaks.

The pads had shims with nitrile rubber on one side, so I removed them and spread this blue liquid around and let it dry.

When dry it was a tacky rubber, then I clipped the shim back on.

Lube the sliders with silicone lube.

Make sure the pad ears move freely in the abutment clips. Add a dab of anti-seize here to help things a bit.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I used blue rubber in a squirt bottle that is made to prevent squeaks.

The pads had shims with nitrile rubber on one side, so I removed them and spread this blue liquid around and let it dry.

Don't use that EMP compound on shims, it's meant for shimless pads.

I like to use Molykote M77, but I did find a NOS bottle of Permatex moly brake lube on eBay - it's similar to Molykote and it's a silicone-based grease and not the olefin/ester grease that will cause rubber to swell.

These pads seem to be on the noisy side. They grip very well (have them on both my Frontier and the Pilot), but they SCREAM like a banshee when we back out of the driveway each morning. Light peddle pressure with slow speed!!!! Once they warm up, they are fairly quiet.

My suggestion, lube everything you can to keep them quiet.

I like them OK, but I won't buy them again when we need new pads...

Be advised that many sellers on ebay are selling this exact kit for dirt cheap, not marketed as Powerstop.

The last two "ceramic" brake pad kits I bought from ebay were powerstop with autospecialty rotors.

The rotors were nothing to write home about, the pads are fine. Lube the sliders with syl glide, and the ears and back of the pads with brake lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back